GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,305
1 members and 2,304 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 07-23-2001, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy soph will low gpa

I am going to be a sophmore in the fall and am planning on rushing either fall or spring formal rush at my school. I played a sport last year and was unable to rush but I found that I was unhappy and unfulfilled without being part of a huge greek system at my school (as well as not being accepted by the team for being too "girly). Anyways having a hard time adjusting I got a low GPA about a 2.5 the cut off for rushing is a 2.0. Do you think that I will be cut from lots of houses bc of my GPA? Or will past experiences come into play? HELP? Im really worried bc I really want to join a sorority I think it would be an absolute blast!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-23-2001, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Smile

Relax, if you made the cut, you made the cut. Go into recruitment knowing that you have a lot to offer a house. Let them know that you are involved on campus (most chapters love atheletes) and show off all your good qualities. Chapters are looking for a lot more than just grades. Where do you go to school, by the way?
Old 07-23-2001, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
I know it's different in a fraternity, but maybe somethings can be parlayed over. For our group, we have our Membership Quality Board(MQB), that checks grades during rush week when they interview the prospectives. MQB checks cumulative GPA, and the prior semester's GPA. However, we're really looking for improvement and effort. Anyone could have a rough semester, or even a rough year, the key is to show you're trying.

It might be to your advantage to say "Yeah, I have a 2.5 right now, but I'm not going to settle for that this semester." Saying that you HAD a grade problem and are now improving is better than having them find out on their own later and thinking you still HAVE a problem.

Hope this helps

------------------
------------------
No funny squiggles, just bold letters: TKE
Old 07-23-2001, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

It could be different at different schools, but I haven't noticed where GPA is really much of a big deal here, as long as you have above minimum (which is 2.2 here). If they like you, I don't think they'll cut you just because of your GPA.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:44 PM

When they have rush registration ask the Rho Chis if the 2.0 gpa is used by all the chapters or if it's actually higher for most chapters. At my school, the rush min is like 2.2, but my chapter's gpa min is 2.5. I've only ever seen one girl that we even considered "flexing" the rule for. And her gpa was like a 2.48! My point is that some chapters min is no where near the rush min. So it never hurts to ask, ask, ask!
Old 07-23-2001, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I will be rushing spring rush, which is our formal rush I will have the first semester to really crack down and improve my grades. I also imporved greatly 2nd semester last yr so I definately show that I working hard to get up my GPA. Thanks for all the advice. Let me know if you have anymore thoughts
Old 07-24-2001, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school, the cutoff to go through rush is a 2.0, but my chapter usually cuts off at 2.5. But this is with incoming freshmen. When we look at a transfer student or older girl from our school, we are a little more lenient on the GPA b/c we know that getting good grades is a hell of a lot harder in college than in high school. So hopefully the girls at your school will agree that a 2.5 out of high school isn't all that hot, but a 2.5 after one year of college can be accepted. Good luck with rush!

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3