GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 901
2 members and 899 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 07-13-2016, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=Munchkin03;2413698]
The long and short of it is that Abigail Fisher was a mediocre (at best) student who thought she was entitled to attend her flagship university. An 1180 SAT? I'm pretty sure I did better than that when we were invited to take the SAT in 7th or 8th grade. UT-Austin is simply entering the league of UVa, Michigan, UNC, UCLA, and Berkeley where just being a "good in-state student" isn't enough. I'm seeing it to some extent at Florida too, as kids who would have been shoo-ins back in the 90s are being denied, as Bright Futures (the lottery scholarship) is keeping the top kids who may have gone OOS right at home.
QUOTE]

This is pretty much the issue. It's similar to what the Court found in a case at Michigan--which does not have a percentage plan. The plaintiff's scores just weren't good enough to get in. She wasn't a bad student, but compared to the other students who applied the year she did, she was not as qualified based on grades, strength of classes, test scores, extra curriculars, etc. She said her life was ruined and that she couldn't become a doctor because she didn't get into UM. Really? I'm pretty sure there are a lot of doctors out there who went to schools that aren't as highly ranked as Michigan.

My cousin lives in New Mexico and he got into UT with grades that probably would not have gotten him in if he lived in Texas. I think Texas's plan is probably a good idea with bad execution.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Well, there's more to it than that; unprepared freshmen are coming to UT and flaming out spectacularly. That's why there are those programs that offer an easier transfer admission to sophomores on up.
That's pretty typical of most colleges--even at my undergrad, plenty of people who had been denied as freshmen transferred in as sophomores. There were also people who couldn't hack it and didn't come back for sophomore year.

So, if that option was available to Abigail Fisher, why didn't she take it?
Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post

So, if that option was available to Abigail Fisher, why didn't she take it?
Exactly.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Exactly.
Ive wondered that myself since I know a few people that ended up transferring to Austin after completing their freshman year at one of the other UT system schools. Anyway, good luck to her...
Old 07-14-2016, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Exactly.
I totally agree, but my hunch is that the 1st year experience at any of the UT satellite schools is WAY different than it is at the flagship. Doesn't mean she shouldn't have taken it (if it was offered to her), but I'm guessing that's where her 18 yo mind went. The rest of the schools in the system are more commuter-type than UT Austin.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

I've been told that people want the full 4-year flagship experience and that's why they leave the state. Plus women from very Greek families know that many schools are far less likely to take sophomores so they don't want to transfer in. Hey, there's no way you can compare, say, a U of H freshman experience to one at UT.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

The 10% thing doesn't say "you're guaranteed admission and placement at UT or A&M" -- it says you're guaranteed admission to a public school and placement as space allows. If they provide an in for you that's not necessarily the "traditional flagship route" (read: CAP program) and you decide not to take it, that's on you.

3 years at a flagship > no years at a flagship

Old 07-14-2016, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've been told that people want the full 4-year flagship experience and that's why they leave the state. Plus women from very Greek families know that many schools are far less likely to take sophomores so they don't want to transfer in. Hey, there's no way you can compare, say, a U of H freshman experience to one at UT.
This makes sense, and explains why Greek life is booming at schools where it was previously lukewarm.

I don't get the feeling that Abigail Fisher went Greek at LSU, though. From what we know of her grades and extracurriculars, an SEC-style Rush would have chewed her up and spat her out. Would she have sued if she hadn't gotten in?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I don't get the feeling that Abigail Fisher went Greek at LSU, though.
Probably not, as she is homely.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Sen's Revenge! Shame on you! SEC sororities have women of all facial persuasions!
Old 07-14-2016, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sen's Revenge! Shame on you! SEC sororities have women of all facial persuasions!
Think about it!

Her grades were mediocre at best.

I suspect she has a terrible personality as well. I mean, she sued a school because she's a racist.

...and she is NOT CUTE.

She's got to have at least two of those three to succeed at SEC rush.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Think about it!

Her grades were mediocre at best.

I suspect she has a terrible personality as well. I mean, she sued a school because she's a racist.

...and she is NOT CUTE.

She's got to have at least two of those three to succeed at SEC rush.
In all my years of GreekChat....

I have NEVER seen an SEC sorority woman -- or ANY sorority woman, for that matter -- who looked like Abby.

I have seen overweight sorority women.

I have seen sorority women of all colors.

I have seen Lesbian sorority women - even masculine of center sorority women.

But I have never, ever, ever seen a sorority woman on these pages who looked like this:

If that makes me wrong, I don't want to be right.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you have to post such a large image?
Old 07-16-2016, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

It's extremely petty to not only belabor the point about her physical appearance, but also to pick the most unattractive picture of her possible. She has never indicated that she wished to join a sorority, and it's obvious that she has other priorities in life. We can discuss the case without resorting to ad hominem attacks, mkay?

As to Abigail's merits, I don't think "Fisher had a grade point average of 3.59 (adjusted to a 4.0 scale) and was in the top 12% of her class at Stephen F. Austin High School. She scored 1180 on her SAT (measured on the old 1600-point scale, because UT Austin did not consider the writing section in its undergraduate admissions decision for the 2008 incoming freshman class). The 25th and 75th percentiles of the incoming class at UT-Austin were 1120 and 1370" count as "mediocre" at all! If being in the top 12% of your school makes you mediocre, then many of us here would probably be considered retarded.

I also fail to see how getting rid of race considerations in regards to admissions makes her a racist. I do not agree with them either, and I am a member of the minority myself. I think that this issue will be one that - like politics and religion - people really won't budge on their opinions no matter how well-reasoned the opposing side would be.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Background information

This documentary was on last month. It aired about 1-2 weeks before the US Supreme Court handed down their decision.

It gives a really nice overview / history of the admissions policies of UT Austin over the last several decades with respect to race. The program is an hour long.

http://www.klru.org/blog/2013/06/adm...al-now-online/

And no, this documentary does not address NPC recruitment and how the Top 10 rule has had an impact on NPC recruitment. Sorry, carnation.