GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,232
0 members and 1,232 guests
No Members online

Old 07-11-2010, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Just curious--How are chapter presidents selected?

Hello! My question is a pretty simple one. I know that each sorority has different values or ideals of what a chapter president should be. I was wondering what the values of this person are? Or should embody? I realize that you can be president for a period of time before another girl takes your place. How is this done? Is anyone ever asked to step down? Does the girl know she's in the running to be president? Or does the chapter vote her to do it without her knowledge? I don't know if it's bad form to ask this. I'm just curious as to "slating" and how it's done. I realize there are other operations in a sorority that are equally important (i.e. Recruitment Chair, VP of Membership, etc.) I feel like it'd be such a huge honor to be any of these. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-11-2010, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

This is something you should ask your chapter officers or advisers and not on the internet. Different groups have different policies/ ways of thinking when it comes to officer selection.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Wait until you're in a sorority. Every organization has different policies, some requiring secrecy about how things work. And it's uncommon for new members to be in high elected positions (if any).
Old 07-11-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordang312 View Post
Hello! My question is a pretty simple one. I know that each sorority has different values or ideals of what a chapter president should be. I was wondering what the values of this person are? Or should embody? I realize that you can be president for a period of time before another girl takes your place. How is this done? Is anyone ever asked to step down? Does the girl know she's in the running to be president? Or does the chapter vote her to do it without her knowledge? I don't know if it's bad form to ask this. I'm just curious as to "slating" and how it's done. I realize there are other operations in a sorority that are equally important (i.e. Recruitment Chair, VP of Membership, etc.) I feel like it'd be such a huge honor to be any of these. Thanks!
Slating is done differently in every group. Some groups don't do it at all.

Every chapter needs different things in a president. This question is kind of like asking "how do you pick a best friend?"

Yes, sometimes people are asked to step down. And any chapter that would elect a girl to ANY office without her consenting to run in advance is completely insane.

Last edited by 33girl; 07-11-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay. Thank you for the help! I'm not Greek and neither are any of my family. So, half the time I ask a question I have to apologize in advance because I don't know if will be considered bad form or inappropriate to Greek members. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha. Yeah, in one instance, I'd feel like it'd be a complete honor to be voted into something without knowing. But, the other part of me would wanna run out the door as soon as I was told. It would be kinda insane. But, flattering.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I would hope that anybody put in an important position in a Greek Org. is qualified enough to do so. When you are in charge whatever you do affects your members.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

The national office usually has a standard set of rules on how a member is selected as president. At my chapter, a special committee of members and chapter advisor meets to elect officers based on their skills, attributes, and devotion to the chapter. While some politics may be involved, it is NOT a popularity contest as it is commonly stereotyped in the media (i.e. think Legally Blonde, the tv show Greek, etc.).
Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgirl50 View Post
The national office usually has a standard set of rules on how a member is selected as president.
Maybe or maybe not, depending on the organization.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

True. But it is my understanding that most national Greek organizations have some type of standard regulations, rules, and/or processes used to elect officers.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
True. But it is my understanding that most national Greek organizations have some type of standard regulations, rules, and/or processes used to elect officers.
First, announcing yourself in the relevant GLO forum would probably be helpful in establishing your credentials to speak on the matter.

Secondly, what experience do you have with chapters outside of your own, and how familiar are you with their rules?

Finally, there are a wide variety of ways for chapters to elect officers, some left to the local level, some written in to national rules or bylaws. Some groups do slating, sometimes that is 'secret,' sometimes it's run by the previous officers, sometimes it is the seniors or by people whose last names start with Q. Some do ballots, some raise hands, some might have ritual requirements for the office (must look good in giant dove costume).

But unless you're in the group, or go around reading bylaws of every group, you really don't know what the national rules are.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
True. But it is my understanding . . . .
Based on . . . ?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
some might have ritual requirements for the office (must look good in giant dove costume).
I KNEW IT!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I KNEW IT!!!
That's because we never talk about the maroon cat suits.

/crap
Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
At my chapter, a special committee of members and chapter advisor meets to elect officers based on their skills, attributes, and devotion to the chapter.
Holy isht, I HOPE you mean "nominate" instead of "elect." If not, I'm guessing this is one of your chapter meetings.