GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,246
2 members and 1,244 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 06-06-2016, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Wow! I think a fire at your initiation site is something that no one will ever forget. Glad that another place was found so quickly so that the initiation ceremony could continue.
My *guess* is that they used the restaurant that they had intended having the banquet and charter presentation at. Just asked them to delay putting out the round tables for banquet and just leave the head table (if there was one). But I'm not sure. Made the school newspaper, of course.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hoping for more weird rush stories for fall 2017!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Walking through a college campus near my sister's house recently, I came upon a large patch of bluegreen glitter covering a sidewalk.

Yes, it was Bid Day Weekend! New members were marching around campus singing fraternal songs.

Then, I noticed a live squirrel on the same campus whose entire right side was lightly covered in the same bluegreen glitter.

If only bluegreen were an Alpha Gamma Delta color, I'd think the squirrel received a bid from same but alas, she is a member of the Bluegreens.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

I really needed to bump this for fall 2017!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

To share or not to share...not sure as it involves my own sibling but it does have a happy ending.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Share!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I stayed up entirely way too late reading this thread, but I love recruitment and the craziness that comes with it haha. With that said, here are some of my stories!

When I went through recruitment, I went to one chapter during Open House and the active practically refused to talk to me! I tried so hard to maintain a conversation, but she had her arms crossed and was looking elsewhere. Needless to say, I was not invited back.

At my school, we are allowed to bring a large bag with us to hold all of our stuff (we have deferred recruitment, so it's winter and we need space for our gear). I had a water bottle in my bag that had a pop top and somehow it opened during a round. I left the chapter and noticed my bag was soaked! We had to run off to the next chapter, but here I was with my stuff spread out trying to dry it as best I could. I must have been quite a sight. This was just after lunch, so I had another 4 rounds left (approximately 5 hours) before I could go home!

One of my sisters went through the same year I did. She ended up getting a stomach bug the day of Sisterhood Round, but decided to tough it out. She put a trash bag in her purse just in case. Well, she was at a chapter talking to an active when she felt sick. She told the active who promptly left her to get a Rho Gam, but my sister didn't make it and threw up in her purse! The active came back and my sister finished the round. She didn't have any way of disposing of it before the next round and left in the bushes of the neighboring chapter! She wasn't asked back, I'm sorry to say.

One story from my first year as an active:

A PNM started to passionately discuss politics (BIG no no at my school) and the sister rushing her didn't know how to steer the conversation in another direction. Her solution? "I'm Canadian." Funny thing is that she was actually born in Canada and some of my sisters weren't aware of that and thought she had made it up on the spot!

Another story:

This sister is in my bump group and I go to bump, but I accidentally scared her so badly she almost fell out of her chair. I lost it!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

So a few years ago my sister and I are sharing a bottle of wine and reminiscing about when we went through rush. I rushed in 1981 and she followed two years later in 1983. We discussed how we'd felt about the various groups and which ones we liked. She shared that she'd really liked "ABC" and thought had been well-received by the members. To her surprise though she was dropped by ABC the day of preference. While disappointed she attended preference parties for XYZ and Delta Gamma then accepted a DG bid.

About a month after her initiation, she finds herself in a class with an ABC member that she remembered from rush. They became good friends and study partners that semester. While studying for a mid-term the ABC tells her that the majority of the house had really wanted her. She'd had stellar grades and test scores, was a co-captain for her high school color guard and was considered to be a sought after rushee that year. (And to ABC, the opportunity to steal a double legacy from DG was tempting as well!) To my sister's surprise her ABC classmate goes on to reveal what had happened when my sister went through rush. Everyone in ABC seemed to be ready to extend a bid based on the previous days voting and the praise she'd received. However on the evening when the votes for preference were being cast a huge fight broke out. An officer stood up and declared that she would NEVER accept my sibling as a member. When asked why she felt that way the ABC shared that two years prior in 1981 she'd had a huge crush on a member of SAE. However he'd turned her request to be her formal date in order to go out with me. SAE and I then dated briefly and broke up. Flash forward to 1983 and he's graduated and is involved with someone else. Even though the SAE had only gone on one date with the ABC but she still had strong feelings for him for years after their one and only date.

Apparently ABC members then are arguing with her and she begins to threaten to quit if they extend a preference invitation to my sister. She'd convinced a few other ABCs that her objections were valid. After a few rounds of heated debate and shouting their alumna advisor stepped in and told them to release my sister. Upon hearing this tale, my sister was absolutely shocked that she was hearing about this from an ABC member but never shared this information with me or anyone else for about twenty years.

When she finally shared the story with me it was my turn to be stunned too, because about a month after rush had ended in 1983 I'd heard the same story from one of my friends in ABC!! Like my sister I was flabbergasted to be hearing this type of information about the fight that had occurred during their discussion and voting. I too had never said anything to my sister or anyone else about it. My sister realized that she'd really dodged a bullet during rush and was happy that she was now a DG.

So after months of being here and assuring myself that there appear to be no members of "ABC" from our school who were students in 1983, I finally felt comfortable enough to share MY WEIRD RECRUITMENT STORY!!

Last edited by TLLK; 07-20-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump
There's gotten be some crazy rush stories this year!
Old 09-27-2017, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

TLLK's is a good one.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks FSU Zeta! To be honest I was a little concerned that this story was just too weird to be told for a long time, so it added to my initial hesitation about sharing it here.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone ever turn this term "House hunter" in regard to sorority recruitment?
I heard it this week describing upper class PNM's who've been through recruitment several times and only want certain SRC's. When they get released from their top houses, they drop out of recruitment. 2 juniors this week are going thru recruitment for the 3rd straight year! Yikes.

Even bigger yikes, a PNM actually said to an active that she wanted to join a sorority so she could sleep with more guys ...
Old 09-28-2017, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

You know how many great chapters Auburn has? I remember a girl who rushed formally 3 times in an attempt to get a certain chapter. The chapter members knew it. She finally got in her junior year and was a stellar member.

Little sis rushed a couple of years later, got that chapter, and dropped a few weeks later.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 AM

TLLK -

Why do I have the feeling that SAE came home from work one day a few years later to find a bunny boiling in a pot on the stove?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Even bigger yikes, a PNM actually said to an active that she wanted to join a sorority so she could sleep with more guys ...
Give her directions to the nearest male Freshman dorm and explain to her how to take off her clothes. Problem solved.