GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,062
0 members and 1,062 guests
No Members online

Old 03-20-2017, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA Recruitment 2017

UGA Recruitment 2017
Link to schedule: http://panhellenic.uga.edu/uploads/1...ule_2017_2.pdf

Several things of interest.
1. 2 days of round 2
2. Party breakdown - 18 - 13 - 8 - 2
Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this the first year UGA uses two pref parties?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Is this the first year UGA uses two pref parties?
yes it is. Last year was 18-13-7-3
Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Eight parties then down to two? Wow!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

So, is the thinking that very few PNMs would be satisfied with their 3rd choice?

Going from 8 to 2 seems like the ranking between 3rd Round and Prefs might keep the Rho Chis up all night with hysterical young ladies.

Back in my day I think it was 18-12-8-3... I think. My first round was the only full round I had, and it's been several decades.

The thing is, the sororities at UGA are more alike than they are different. I've said this before, but you could literally use a randomizer computer program to create pledge classes, and you'd have 18 amazing pledge classes.

Also - I hate the Bid Day on first day of classes. Get it out of the way before school starts so these Freshman can start off their academic year able to concentrate.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
Also - I hate the Bid Day on first day of classes. Get it out of the way before school starts so these Freshman can start off their academic year able to concentrate.
Agreed...that just sends the wrong message about priorities. Women are going to be distracted, wondering about their bids, and for anyone who gets "the call" it would really be hard to head out to class and concentrate.

And, the current members are going to be super busy trying to decorate and get ready for Bid Day while also attending their first day of class.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 03-21-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So, is the thinking that very few PNMs would be satisfied with their 3rd choice?
Yes, this is the thinking. I had the opportunity in December to attend an RFM presentation led by Laura Malley-Schmitt, who created RFM, and Julie Johnson the Kappa Delta NPC Delegate. They shared that very few women received their third preference option, and the number of women who would refuse to put a third option down at some campuses was high enough that quota additions were affected because women didn't maximize their options. NPC's goal is to have all campuses at two preference rounds regardless of the number of chapters on campus.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Yes, this is the thinking. I had the opportunity in December to attend an RFM presentation led by Laura Malley-Schmitt, who created RFM, and Julie Johnson the Kappa Delta NPC Delegate. They shared that very few women received their third preference option, and the number of women who would refuse to put a third option down at some campuses was high enough that quota additions were affected because women didn't maximize their options. NPC's goal is to have all campuses at two preference rounds regardless of the number of chapters on campus.
Very interesting! Thanks for the information.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Going from 8 to 2 seems like the ranking between 3rd Round and Prefs might keep the Rho Chis up all night with hysterical young ladies.

Back in my day I think it was 18-12-8-3... I think. My first round was the only full round I had, and it's been several decades.

The thing is, the sororities at UGA are more alike than they are different. I've said this before, but you could literally use a randomizer computer program to create pledge classes, and you'd have 18 amazing pledge classes.

In my day it was 18-12-6-3 - I kept my computerized cards - also hate bid day on first day of classes. Yuck.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank goodness they finally added a day to round 2! When my daughter went through in 2012 they could go back to 12 houses for round 2 but it was all in one day. For those girls who went back to all 12, or even 8 or 10, doing all that in one day was not a good experience. And if my daughter's experience was any indicator, it negatively affected the feeling a PNM had towards those groups they went back to at the end of the day when total exhaustion had set in.

As far as cutting prefs to two, I think this is a good idea. Either that or allow the PNMs to actually "cut" one group before prefs if they get invited back to three. I know many girls who were happy with two of their selections but really did not want to go back to the third. This seems unfair both for the girls and the sorority who could invite someone else who would love to be there. I know we have the cases where some PNMs fall in love with a chapter at pref that they didn't think they were going to but if a PNM already has two choices that they really like then that seems less likely of a scenario.

As for the bid day on the first day of classes, it is awful. I think the thought was it would cut down on the partying but in reality it just leads to a crappy start for the school year with lots of girls behind in classes and sick on top of it! With such a huge in state population, it would be so easy for them to complete rush before school starts.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:20 PM

I think I would like the 2 pref idea better if it went 18-13-9-5-2. But I am not the one who has to sit through membership selection until the rooster crows so I will shut up now.

It would be interesting, though, to see if the rushees refusing to put a 3rd option were all doing it for the same sorority - i.e. if there was one sorority that had to keep inviting everyone back, so the rushees had to keep ranking it - or if it was a variety of sororities, and they just had trouble forming a liking for more than two.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think I would like the 2 pref idea better if it went 18-13-9-5-2. But I am not the one who has to sit through membership selection until the rooster crows so I will shut up now.
I'm struggling the most with the 8-2 bit myself. Makes me wonder how many legitimately have 8 left at round 3 - if it's 10-15%, then wouldn't be that much of an impact. If it's 80%, I would think it would be.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I am pretty sure that in 2012 it was 18-12-6-3. So basically after the first round it was just cut in half each time which seemed to work well. Not sure what the rationale is for raising that third round number to 8. And I agree that from 8 to 2 is a huge jump.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
In my day it was 18-12-6-3 - I kept my computerized cards - also hate bid day on first day of classes. Yuck.

You know what, you're absolutely right about the party numbers per round. Mea culpa! I have my party lists... somewhere, and I still have my Pointer, which I pored over for hours leading up to Rush.

I maintain that any of the four I had for Round 3 and both of my pref options would have been a good fit.

I can see Rho Chis in the Tate Center at 2am telling the PNM, "Just pick some, dammit. I need sleep, and this really doesn't matter as much as you want to think it does!" This is why I would have been a terrible Rho Chi. Plus, my sisters needed me to inflate and tie balloons for the parties. This was back when we had a helium budget, skits, different themed name tags for each round...

Old 03-21-2017, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Still wishing we had been able to recolonize, but maybe next time they're open.