GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,091
1 members and 2,090 guests
John

Old 08-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I miss the train wreck NPC recruitment threads. The ones where the girl would post that it is Top Tier chapter at her campus or nothing. Then she gets dropped on Day 2 from all chapters. Then she comes back to tell us she's going to start her own sorority.

And then, she comes back a few weeks later to ask GC either: 1) how to start her own sorority (see PreciousJeni's thread "Before you start your own sorority"), or 2) how to colonize a dormant NPC chapter at her campus.
Ditto on that.

Yeeeup. Seeing GC in general change over the years post social media has been interesting.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-30-2016, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Have you searched on YouTube for "how to rush" videos?
THAT's where the girls are getting their info. Remember, this is not a reading generation.
There are some very good videos out there, though. Production quality might not be the best, but the info is solid.

Even the various blogs seem to be languishing now, but there seem to be more videos than ever.
I just told my god-daughter about the recruitment videos on youtube. She goes thru in 4 weeks. Time to study!
Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I mentioned in a previous thread that I was planning to share my daughter's story when recruitment was complete. However, another poster requested that my daughter write her own story...she's a busy freshman...we may be waiting for awhile.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

We would love to read her story. Please post.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I miss this site, too. But truly, the mean girls ran people off. I felt
terrible when the poor dad from Ole Miss got jumped on so badly earlier this season.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass the Pinot View Post
terrible when the poor dad from Ole Miss got jumped on so badly earlier this season.
Yes me too!! I felt great empathy for him!! For me I have and will continue to post very little because I just never know what I can say and what I shouldn't. I am so very happy and thrilled for all the young ladies who have gone thru recruitment so far- 2 of which are personal friends of mine now at FSU and Oklahoma State- one is a new theta and the other a gamma phi beta!! I mean the whole point of this is to provide help and support to our loved ones going thru the process, which can be so brutal. I just want to say this site has both helped me and hurt me. That being said, I still love to read the posts. I will be more of a reader than a poster in the future but I guess that's ok too.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

The thing is, if you have something to say you also have to be able to accept correction or STFU when it's apparent you don't know what you're talking about. When people double down on rumors they ARE going to get a smack down. People get into trouble when they won't accept that they don't actually understand how RFM works. And I get it, but the internet is forever. Allowing misinformation to stand means someone is going to read that in 5 or 50 or 200 years and get it wrong.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't. He came in with an arrogant attitude and wasn't willing to be corrected. I wasn't one of the ones who sparred with him, but I understand why they did.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:52 PM

I think people confuse being mean with giving solid advice.

I can tell you I have rarely been mean, but at the same time, I refuse to blow sunshine.

See also: a lot of PNMs these days have connections to the schools they're going to. That's really the BEST place for advice.

Ex: If you're going to Bama, your cousin who is already an XYZ at Bama is your best source for advice. Not the internet.

People who are getting advice solely online are already at a disadvantage because they don't have the connections necessary to truly know the ins and outs.

Think about a lot of the girls who come to GC or Greekrank or whatever else (TSM?) looking for advice. They're the ones who are the first in their family to ever consider Greek Life.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:06 AM

This isn't GC specific and has far less to do with "mean" posters than people would like to think. The other MB I was a regular contributor to and that was just as if not more active than GC is completely gone. Another that I just spottily contributed to is gone too. All anyone wants to do these days is post pictures. Conversation is dying online as fast as it's dying in real life.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef831 View Post
Yes me too!! I felt great empathy for him!! For me I have and will continue to post very little because I just never know what I can say and what I shouldn't. I am so very happy and thrilled for all the young ladies who have gone thru recruitment so far- 2 of which are personal friends of mine now at FSU and Oklahoma State- one is a new theta and the other a gamma phi beta!! I mean the whole point of this is to provide help and support to our loved ones going thru the process, which can be so brutal. I just want to say this site has both helped me and hurt me. That being said, I still love to read the posts. I will be more of a reader than a poster in the future but I guess that's ok too.
IIRC the "poor dad from Ole Miss" got called out on his misinformation by me and a few other posters. And that thread went South (pun intended) when another GC poster went off the deep end. There was no meanness in that particular thread until she entered the scene.

I won't start a fight, but I won't back down from one; and I will never let misinformation go uncorrected. Like my Panhellenic sisters who've posted above in this thread (and +1 to your comments/observations), I am not blowing sunshine and rainbows; and trust me, you haven't seen me be mean. Blunt, yes. Mean? Hardly. You don't want to see me be mean. Take my word for it. I'm not putting on kid gloves for anyone when it comes to misinformation; most especially when it comes from non-NPC posters. But don't call it "mean" when one of us says something that you don't like. And, if you have a problem with me or anyone else, take it to the source directly. That's what adults do.

Too blunt for you? Probably. Mean? Hardly.

Last edited by AZTheta; 09-03-2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mean girls =/= correcting misinformation. The mean girls I am referring to several years ago when a group of GC'ers would jump on any newbie that made a misstep or came here for advice when their daughters did not receive bids.

Ole Miss Dad needed to be corrected with his " not enough spots for all " misinformation. He was politely corrected, took exception to it, and lashed out. Completely different scenario, as AZTheta pointed out.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
IIRC the "poor dad from Ole Miss" got called out on his misinformation by me and a few other posters. And that thread went South (pun intended) when another GC poster went off the deep end. There was no meanness in that particular thread until she entered the scene.

I won't start a fight, but I won't back down from one; and I will never let misinformation go uncorrected. Like my Panhellenic sisters who've posted above in this thread (and +1 to your comments/observations), I am not blowing sunshine and rainbows; and trust me, you haven't seen me be mean. Blunt, yes. Mean? Hardly. You don't want to see me be mean. Take my word for it. I'm not putting on kid gloves for anyone when it comes to misinformation; most especially when it comes from non-NPC posters. But don't call it "mean" when one of us says something that you don't like. And, if you have a problem with me or anyone else, take it to the source directly. That's what adults do.

Too blunt for you? Probably. Mean? Hardly.
Here's the original thread. See reply #1.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...highlight=miss
Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This isn't GC specific and has far less to do with "mean" posters than people would like to think. The other MB I was a regular contributor to and that was just as if not more active than GC is completely gone. Another that I just spottily contributed to is gone too. All anyone wants to do these days is post pictures. Conversation is dying online as fast as it's dying in real life.
Maybe it's the topics. I'm reading (and occasionally posting to) wedding planning message boards, and the exact same stuff that transpired on GC in the pre-social media era is rampant. Catfishing, cliques, and flounces. I think there are even real-life meetups.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Here's the original thread. See reply #1.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...highlight=miss
What's your point? Too blunt for you? FYI, I reviewed the entire thread before I commented here. And, you may wish to review the other replies in this thread to your comment about the "poor dad". You don't get to cherry-pick.

ETA: if this is how you take it to the source directly, and how you adult, I suggest you put me on ignore.

Last edited by AZTheta; 09-07-2016 at 01:45 AM.