GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Omega > Omega Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,437
3 members and 1,434 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 03-25-2007, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

All this "famous members" stuff.

So, going off of the thread in the main forum - does OPhiA have any famous/notable sisters? We didn't learn about any when I pledged, but maybe it's something other chapters keep track of?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-27-2007, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to raggann03
I didn't learn of any either, may have to make that a project

The greatest way to combat chaos is with competence
Old 03-27-2007, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggann03 View Post
I didn't learn of any either, may have to make that a project
I know, I'm really curious now. It bugs me ... in 40 years, there's got to be someone, right??
Old 03-28-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

really though...

Old 03-28-2007, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

If you don't mind me chiming in.....

I think even with APO, we've only recently begun doing a pretty good job at tracking our notable members. Thanks to Brothers such as our very own naraht of GC, we now have a thorough list of "famous" members.

When doing this research (because I will bet my last nickel that one of you is going to do it ) it's important not really to look for who is "famous" but who is achieving in their careers and personal lives.

Your national org should have membership rosters, and they should allow chapter presidents at the very least the opportunity to have these alumnae rosters. In APO, we allowed one free print-out per chapter per year.

Get the roster....and google your behinds off! You may be surprised at which of your sisters is now a CEO, local politician, artist, or more.

So it's not so much about finding an already famous member.....celebrate the ones that are achieving and make them famous TO YOU!

By the way.....not to toot my own horn, but I did a similar project for my Alpha Phi Alpha chapter in 2003, because I was tired of people saying certain people were Alphas when they were not (Tim Reid), and keeping the same Brothers on a list (the guys from Shai) while not including people that are more famous (E. Lynn Harris) or more "prominent" (Todd Duncan, the original "Porgy").

The result of my research is here: http://alpha.mulambda.org/prominent.html

Here is my standard of proof for determining if the man was REALLY an Alpha:

1) Is their name on the National Website?
2) Is their name in the history book or other OFFICIAL publications? (I found out Jamaican Prime Minister Norman Manley was an Alpha just by reading my book!)
3) When I email the national office, do they have a record of initiation? (Just because they don't doesn't always mean they aren't a member, but it helps.)
4) When I email my regions, is there anyone who can vouch for the Brother, including saying they were at their initiation or they've gripped them in the past? (This is how and why I claim disco singer Hamilton Bohannon as a Brother)
5) Does this person's OFFICIAL biography mention Alpha? (That's how I learned Christopher Darden is an Alpha)

Good luck, Service Sisters!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
If you don't mind me chiming in.....

I think even with APO, we've only recently begun doing a pretty good job at tracking our notable members. Thanks to Brothers such as our very own naraht of GC, we now have a thorough list of "famous" members.

When doing this research (because I will bet my last nickel that one of you is going to do it ) it's important not really to look for who is "famous" but who is achieving in their careers and personal lives.

Your national org should have membership rosters, and they should allow chapter presidents at the very least the opportunity to have these alumnae rosters. In APO, we allowed one free print-out per chapter per year.

Get the roster....and google your behinds off! You may be surprised at which of your sisters is now a CEO, local politician, artist, or more.

So it's not so much about finding an already famous member.....celebrate the ones that are achieving and make them famous TO YOU!

By the way.....not to toot my own horn, but I did a similar project for my Alpha Phi Alpha chapter in 2003, because I was tired of people saying certain people were Alphas when they were not (Tim Reid), and keeping the same Brothers on a list (the guys from Shai) while not including people that are more famous (E. Lynn Harris) or more "prominent" (Todd Duncan, the original "Porgy").

The result of my research is here: http://alpha.mulambda.org/prominent.html

Here is my standard of proof for determining if the man was REALLY an Alpha:

1) Is their name on the National Website?
2) Is their name in the history book or other OFFICIAL publications? (I found out Jamaican Prime Minister Norman Manley was an Alpha just by reading my book!)
3) When I email the national office, do they have a record of initiation? (Just because they don't doesn't always mean they aren't a member, but it helps.)
4) When I email my regions, is there anyone who can vouch for the Brother, including saying they were at their initiation or they've gripped them in the past? (This is how and why I claim disco singer Hamilton Bohannon as a Brother)
5) Does this person's OFFICIAL biography mention Alpha? (That's how I learned Christopher Darden is an Alpha)

Good luck, Service Sisters!
And this is why Rashid is awesome
Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
And this is why Rashid is awesome
Awww thank you! Just trying to help.

I mean if I used a system that works, there's no sense in keeping it to myself!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree! Thanks for the info

Old 09-18-2009, 05:27 AM
GreekChat Member

So, did anyone ever do any reasearch on this?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, unfortunately, we just don't have the greatest of records once you go back more than a few years. It's a project, but on the list of all the projects ...

I would consider Karin Coulter of Saving Little Hearts to be the the most famous OPhiA that I am aware of.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Wow this would be certainly interesting to find out if there are any others.... I've kind of wondered myself if there were any famous OphiA's out there.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Definitely - it could be a side project of trying to sort out our membership records in general. I know a lot of progress has been made on that, particularly by some of the individual chapters, but it'd be great to see that as an even bigger effort.