GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,465
1 members and 2,464 guests
No Members online

Old 03-28-2023, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Alpha Delta Chi at UCLA will be closing at the end of the semester. This is actually the Alpha chapter of the sorority.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp5V4gpuY7J/
ADX was actually housed - they rented half of the former AEPhi house (The engineering sorority rented the other half, so both were able to have meetings and live as a group.)

And more sad news from UCLA, AGD will be closing at the end of the Spring quarter, due to low numbers. And even worse, they’ve found a buyer for the house, so it appears recolonization won’t be in future plans.

UCLA used to have the strongest Greek advisers. Numbers went way up (chapter size total went from 125 to 200 in a few years). But they decided to let go the great advisers and hire people with less experience for less money, and numbers have gone down since. I was told that they had a rookie Greek advisor to do recruitment with little help this past year. That advisor has already quit.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-28-2023, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
ADX was actually housed - they rented half of the former AEPhi house (The engineering sorority rented the other half, so both were able to have meetings and live as a group.)

And more sad news from UCLA, AGD will be closing at the end of the Spring quarter, due to low numbers. And even worse, they’ve found a buyer for the house, so it appears recolonization won’t be in future plans.

UCLA used to have the strongest Greek advisers. Numbers went way up (chapter size total went from 125 to 200 in a few years). But they decided to let go the great advisers and hire people with less experience for less money, and numbers have gone down since. I was told that they had a rookie Greek advisor to do recruitment with little help this past year. That advisor has already quit.
Sad that this and the USC chapter closed after being recolonized recently. I had no idea about the advisor situation, that sounds terrible!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 03-28-2023, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

UCLA also had at least one NPC group, chosen within past decade to recolonize, that never did. Do you know their reasons for never recolonizing?
Old 03-29-2023, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Dumb question...I thought chapter advisors were volunteer positions? Or do some receive a stipend? Or are you talking about the positions in the FSL office?

It p!sses me off that this is just the normal way things work now: "Let's do it as cheaply as possible and say we care about quality, while letting quality tank." That seems to be the standard that everyone follows, or is forced to follow.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

-Let’s do it as cheaply as possible

(While continuously raising tuition)

Sorry to hijack
Old 03-30-2023, 07:51 AM

Lehigh University(PA) is open for IFC expansion.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 03-30-2023, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
UCLA also had at least one NPC group, chosen within past decade to recolonize, that never did. Do you know their reasons for never recolonizing?
AXiD was to recolonize after AGD, but it had to be within three years of AGD recolonizing and numbers didn’t support that. DDD closed due to low membership in 2017. They were supposed to recolonize as early as 2022 but the chapter total numbers on the row has not supported that either.

Of the 10 remaining chapters at UCLA, I believe two are under total. With the lackluster 2022 fall recruitment, I hope they readjust total (lower) before recruitment this fall to keep the system healthy.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
Dumb question...I thought chapter advisors were volunteer positions? Or do some receive a stipend? Or are you talking about the positions in the FSL office?

It p!sses me off that this is just the normal way things work now: "Let's do it as cheaply as possible and say we care about quality, while letting quality tank." That seems to be the standard that everyone follows, or is forced to follow.
The FSL office. When the strong FSL advisors left, UCLA hired someone with 1 year experience, but at a lesser salary. You can’t financially live in LA for what they wanted to pay.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Upsilon will be colonizing at Villanova University in the fall! By the way, does anyone know what happened to the Gamma Phi Beta colony? It was suppose to happen last year.

To add Delta Upsilon will also be colonize at Virginia Tech in the fall too.

Since 1888

Last edited by Cookiez17; 04-12-2023 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The FSL office. When the strong FSL advisors left, UCLA hired someone with 1 year experience, but at a lesser salary. You can’t financially live in LA for what they wanted to pay.
Are you talking about Troy? He was an amazing Greek Life Coordinator at San Diego State and we lost him to UCLA. He is now at CSU Dominguez Hills.

True and Constant
Old 04-13-2023, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Are you talking about Troy? He was an amazing Greek Life Coordinator at San Diego State and we lost him to UCLA. He is now at CSU Dominguez Hills.

Is Troy the FSL advisor at CSUDH now? Asking as my son will start as a transfer student this upcoming fall.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:09 AM

Phi Kappa Theta has been invited to establish at Christian Brothers University(TN) in Fall '23.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-13-2023, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Kappa Theta has several expansions slated for the next year.

Univ. of Texas at San Antonio (Spring 2023)

Slippery Rock University (Spring 2023)

Purdue University (Spring 2024)

University of North Carolina Wilmington (Fall 2024)

Louisiana State University (Fall 2024)

Since 1888

Old 04-15-2023, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to Lambda Theta Nu for becoming the first Latin-based sorority at Pepperdine University! They had 10 charter members.

Since 1888

Old 04-15-2023, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Is Troy the FSL advisor at CSUDH now? Asking as my son will start as a transfer student this upcoming fall.
Yes, he has been for a number of years now.

True and Constant