GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,266
1 members and 1,265 guests
No Members online

Old 04-18-2023, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Minimum age for membership in your GLO?

I was working though a Delta Gamma Anchora with history about the early days when I saw the following...

September 24, 1879... Miscellaneous business was next in progress, resulting in the introduction of three amendments into the Constitution, 1st that the house fee be reduced to 35 cents, 2nd the initiation fee to 50 cents, third that no one should be admitted into the club under 13 years of age.

(Yes, I know a *lot* of things have changed...)

But I wonder which of the GLOs have a minimum age of membership these days. I can easily imagine a GLO with a minimum age of 18 (or one that requires parental signature for those below 18) but 17 or 16 wouldn't be that surprising.

I'm a few months younger than Gary Coleman and I remember watching "The Kid with the 200 IQ" which was filmed when he was 14/15 and finding it *really* odd that he was invited to a fraternity rush party.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I do not know if Chi Omega has a minimum age to join. My goddaughter joined Kappa Alpha Theta at age 16 because she graduated early from high school.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
I pledged Alpha Xi Delta 6 weeks after my 17th birthday as I had graduated from High School a year early. There were others from my class who had also graduated early who pledged Chi Omega and Alpha Delta Pi at the same time.

One interesting note, one of the founders of Alpha Xi Delta was 16 at the time of our
founding.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

This brings up a really good question. Some of the NPC founders were super young- like mid teens. Did people go to college at a younger age back then? It seems so commonplace that there has to be more to it than just people graduating early.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Many were at girls' schools. Delta Gamma was founded at one. Not many women were allowed in universities in the 1870s when we were formed...just stone's throw from Ole MIss. And secondary schools didn't all have the same grade levels as we do now. You'd have to do a case by case pre 1900 or so
Old 04-19-2023, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I, too, pledged a few weeks after my 17th birthday because I graduated high school a year early. I know my parents did not sign anything, and I wonder if the contract I signed was binding on a 17-year-old in 1973. One of those things one ponders in the shower from time to time, I guess. It's only in my wildest flights of imagination I think "but it wasn't a legal contract, so ..."

If I recall correctly, it wasn't until the early 1890s that the US proposed a nationwide system of grades, including "high school" and I think it was much later than that that mandatory attendance to a certain point was directed.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:14 AM

AFAIK, AEPhi does not have a minimum age for membership.

If you're under 18 (which can easily happen - I was among the youngest in my high school cohort, so I was only 17 when I got to college) you have to have a parent or guardian sign a financial obligation note stating that they'll cover your dues if you can't. But that's it.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
AFAIK, AEPhi does not have a minimum age for membership.

If you're under 18 (which can easily happen - I was among the youngest in my high school cohort, so I was only 17 when I got to college) you have to have a parent or guardian sign a financial obligation note stating that they'll cover your dues if you can't. But that's it.
I'd actually be surprised if a member of the NPC *didn't* have a requirement of a countersign/parent/guardian of the financial obligation note for a 17 year old. (Not sure what they'd do with an emancipated minor)
Old 04-21-2023, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

My niece pledged and initiated into an NPC org in 2021 as a 17 year old. She turned 18 about a month after her initiation. Her parents didn’t have to sign anything regarding the GLO.
Old 04-21-2023, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a 14-year-old in my pledge class. We knew she was in a special early college program, but we didn't know she was that young until we were preparing for Initiation. Our pledge director wanted to call IH to check on this, but they were closed. She was initiated.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC recruitments rules require only that one be a full time student at the school.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember eons ago when the dinosaurs roamed that my BFF who was a DPhiE they were allowed to take in a 17 year old, but Phi Mu could not.