GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,208
1 members and 2,207 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecupidelta View Post
This had been my thought on this. Will this story have enough legs that it could hurt DZ numbers nationwide? Even if the DZ chapter at an individual campus is not having trouble with numbers would a PNM have this in the back of her mind? You want to join a group that is going to be behind you and your chapter.
I think PNMs have everything in the back of their minds regardless of what their Rho Gammas say.

I don't think this will hurt DZ numbers across the country significantly, but personally I would be wary of it myself since I apparently am not what the DZ HQ is looking for in a sorority girl. If they did this at DePauw what's to say they wouldn't do it at another chapter. (Although I will say, I hope at the very least they have learned from this....)

Quote:
Quoted from OTW: MISCHARACTERIZED MY ASS. Sorry, but I don't care if HQ is saddened by how bad they're looking in the press. My sympathy lies with the Delta Chapter.
^^^ I agree. They're just sorry and deeply saddened that this came to light.

Last edited by texas*princess; 02-25-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

If I'm the Delta Zeta NHQ, I'd close the DePauw chapter now and cut my losses. This is a situation that can only get worse, not better. I understand that they want to stay open to 2009 for the 100th anniversary of the chapter but I doubt if they'll be able to recruit ANYONE at DePauw now. This the kind of incident that lasts long in the minds of people at the school. This same kind of situation happened to a sorority at my alma mater and they've had problems ever since. The most graceful thing for DZ to do is to just close.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a question and I do not mean for this to sound snide or snippy, it's an honest question. Do any of you honestly believe that this has never happened before on any other campus with any other sorority? Or do you think it has and it just happened to get out in this particular instance?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZRose View Post
I have a question and I do not mean for this to sound snide or snippy, it's an honest question. Do any of you honestly believe that this has never happened before on any other campus with any other sorority? Or do you think it has and it just happened to get out in this particular instance?
I believe it has happened before. I just think DZ went overboard, got caught and instead of doing some good PR, let it become a complete firestorm. Now, the DZ HQ looks like complete douches with no chance left on the DePauw campus and nationwide criticism and scorn.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I think PNMs have everything in the back of their minds regardless of what their Rho Gammas say.

I don't think this will hurt DZ numbers across the country significantly, but personally I would be wary of it myself since I apparently am not what the DZ HQ is looking for in a sorority girl. If they did this at DePauw what's to say they wouldn't do it at another chapter. (Although I will say, I hope at the very least they have learned from this....)
That's kind of what I meant to say. If it happened once, whose to say it wouldn't happen again. We all know all it takes is a couple bad recruitments to make a top chapter a bottom.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess image is becoming a big thing with the DZ nationals. My chapter had a bitchy consultant last spring who told us one of the reasons the chapter had trouble recruiting was because we weren't tanning or getting our nails done. What really hurts is since I'm overweight, my sorority seemingly doesn't want me, or my also overweight sister whose become one of my closest friends.

My heart breaks for the sisters at the DePauw chapter. I think the chapter should just be closed, because I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to join after what just happened.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
I guess image is becoming a big thing with the DZ nationals. My chapter had a bitchy consultant last spring who told us one of the reasons the chapter had trouble recruiting was because we weren't tanning or getting our nails done. What really hurts is since I'm overweight, my sorority seemingly doesn't want me, or my also overweight sister whose become one of my closest friends.

My heart breaks for the sisters at the DePauw chapter. I think the chapter should just be closed, because I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to join after what just happened.
You should have told her the sorority didn't want somebody who was going to die early due to skin cancer.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Guest1

Yup

Quote:

My sophomore year in college one of the NPC sororities on campus closed after fall COBs. Their HQs shut the chapter down and the girls were all granted alumna status. There were all these rumors going around that they had gotten closed for hazing, or because they weren't "typical sorority girls." The truth was that they had really low numbers, and their nationals had wanted them to have a 30+ size pledge class for the fall (which NO one would ever get...formal was in the spring, and it wasn't a huge greek campus). The girls were great, but definately what some might think as awk. So the chapter was completely closed, and the org is supposed to be eligible to try to recolonize this year.

This situation just makes me so sad. It reflects poorly on women's GLOs across the board...even if it was just a few people from HQ or one org.

I'm so sorry to the DZ sisters...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Guest1

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
You should have told her the sorority didn't want somebody who was going to die early due to skin cancer.

Tee hee hee!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I hope you don't assume that just because you had one chapter consultant that told you that, that you believe that actually reflects what the active members and alumnae everywhere think. To make a blanket statement that just because you aren't a size 2 this situation at DePauw means DZ doesn't want you is going a bit far. I don't care what you weigh. My concern would be how you represent the sorority. I think if you asked any alumna, they would tell you the same thing. And any active member worth their salt would agree.

As for image becoming a big thing for DZ HQ. I really believe it depends on the campus you are on. The image of a DZ at LSU would vary greatly from the image of a DZ at University of Washington, or UConn.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess image is becoming a big thing with the DZ nationals. My chapter had a bitchy consultant last spring who told us one of the reasons the chapter had trouble recruiting was because we weren't tanning or getting our nails done.
Did this woman seriously think the other non-Greek women on campus were saying "Like, ohmygawd.. I totally don't want to be a ABC because those girls don't tan or get their nails done"

OH THE HORROR!!!

Let me tell you what.

When I was in college, I earned every single dime that went to my sorority... so I was busting my ass to pay my sorority dues, t-shirts, sorority house rent, and everything else for sorority. If this *(@#$ had the audacity to come here and tell me we couldn't recruit because I needed to go tan or get my nails done, I would have told her "Sorry, I'm a broke college student because every penny I earn, I give to YOU!"

Thanks & have a nice day
Old 02-25-2007, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I hope you don't assume that just because you had one chapter consultant that told you that, that you believe that actually reflects what the active members and alumnae everywhere think. To make a blanket statement that just because you aren't a size 2 this situation at DePauw means DZ doesn't want you is going a bit far. I don't care what you weigh. My concern would be how you represent the sorority. I think if you asked any alumna, they would tell you the same thing. And any active member worth their salt would agree.

As for image becoming a big thing for DZ HQ. I really believe it depends on the campus you are on. The image of a DZ at LSU would vary greatly from the image of a DZ at University of Washington, or UConn.
Obviously not every alumna nor active think the same thing that you just stated.

I'm sorry, it was wrong. I do think they should cut their losses now, issue an apology to girls that they essentially told weren't good enough, and learn. That chapter didn't make numbers...at ALL...after the incident. Obviously some people are considering what happened. And well they should. What's to keep it from happening again?

Sometimes chapters are closed for low numbers, or hazing. Sometimes chapters are reorganized because many of their members are not behaving like their organization requires them to, or are not making grades. Not because the girls aren't cute enough and are therefore percieved to be unimpressive in recruitment.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Did this woman seriously think the other non-Greek women on campus were saying "Like, ohmygawd.. I totally don't want to be a ABC because those girls don't tan or get their nails done"

OH THE HORROR!!!

Let me tell you what.

When I was in college, I earned every single dime that went to my sorority... so I was busting my ass to pay my sorority dues, t-shirts, sorority house rent, and everything else for sorority. If this *(@#$ had the audacity to come here and tell me we couldn't recruit because I needed to go tan or get my nails done, I would have told her "Sorry, I'm a broke college student because every penny I earn, I give to YOU!"

Thanks & have a nice day
What I would have to say isn't nearly that nice.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hearing all of these things on this thread is just...BIZARRE to me.

Why are you putting up with this kind of treatment? You have the right to feel comfortable in your organization! I know I wouldn't be paying dues or participating if my organization didn't want me based on some physical characteristic.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AMEN to that! The one time during the year I actually go get my nails done is before rush, but honestly it's only for relaxation because it's all so stressful. You would have to be God himself to get me into a tanning bed. And I'm sorry if I don't look like a page out of Cosmo everyday, it happens when you're up late studying to keep the GPA you contribute to your chapter high.

Hmm, maybe the girls have a discrimination case against nationals...