GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,129
1 members and 1,128 guests
Low D Flat

Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I disagree, my friend. It was just starting with grandma.
I agree with AnchorAlum.

In my area, your college has more clout that your GLO (and even then, that's pushing it). As she said, bringing up GLO affiliation results in smiles and reminiscing, but I have yet to hear "GOOD GOD WE'VE GOT AN XYZ GET THE BEST TABLE IN THE HOUSE BECAUSE SHE DEMANDS RESPECT"

Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 PM

I've lived both coastally and in the midwest (CA and OH) and to be honest, sororities aren't status indicators in either location. At all.

What school you went to might be (ex: if you went to Stanford) but sorority, nah.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to have to agree with NutBrnHair. We have had girls transfer schools if they don't get into dream chapter on the first try. This does seem to be more of a small town thing than still a big deal in the big Peach or the big D, and it would have been totally ridiculous to the girls I knew in Cali. Maybe y'all just aren't south enough?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
I am going to have to agree with NutBrnHair. We have had girls transfer schools if they don't get into dream chapter on the first try. This does seem to be more of a small town thing than still a big deal in the big Peach or the big D, and it would have been totally ridiculous to the girls I knew in Cali. Maybe y'all just aren't south enough?
I also think that in the larger cities that just happen to be in the south, such as Atlanta, you have many, many transplants from other parts of the country, who bring their traditions and points of view with them. What you end up with is a hybrid of points of view and traditions.

I lived for 10 years in Atlanta; at no time during my time there did I work in a place where the majority of people were native to the area. Even at church and other non-work activities, the majority of people there are transplants. You can't compare experience of living in a large urban area that happens to be in the south with the rest of the south. (Well, you can, but you won't get far with it.) It just isn't the same.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Maybe it's a small-town South thing, but I haven't seen this in any of the big places I've lived or visited.

And hopefully Texas is south enough

Old 03-05-2012, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Forgive me, but...

It's like anything. "It depends..." It depends on where you live. It depends on the social circle in which you are a part. It depends on the law firm you are a partner in. It depends on which volunteer board you serve. It depends.

I can assure you it still exists.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's like anything. "It depends..." It depends on where you live. It depends on the social circle in which you are a part. It depends on the law firm you are a partner in. It depends on which volunteer board you serve. It depends.

Well, yeah, that's a given. If you're serving on a board that's Greek heavy in Small City, AL, then sure, I'd think that GLO affiliation would give you some pull. Some of the comments in this thread make it seem as if the mere fact that you are XYZ in STATE puts you above the rest. I have yet to see that.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 03-05-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Well, yeah, that's a given. If you're serving on a board that's Greek heavy in Small City, AL, then sure, I'd think that GLO affiliation would give you some pull. Some of the comments in this thread make it seem as if the mere fact that you are XYZ in STATE puts you above the rest. I have yet to see that.
I would say it's more a city thing than a state thing in most of the south. Most of the women that I grew up with went either Chi O or Tri Delta. Those were the groups that were the big ones for my town. In other parts of my state, other groups are the big ones.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I would say it's more a city thing than a state thing in most of the south. Most of the women that I grew up with went either Chi O or Tri Delta. Those were the groups that were the big ones for my town. In other parts of my state, other groups are the big ones.
Is this a small town?

I ask because I live in Dallas and there are SEVERAL Greeks in my workplace (from all over). Many of them are from the "Greek grooming" cities, but at the end of the day, they talk more about their universities than their affiliations.

ETA: Lol @ your quadruple posting. I was trying to figure out what was going on.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is this a small town?

I ask because I live in Dallas and there are SEVERAL Greeks in my workplace (from all over). Many of them are from the "Greek grooming" cities, but at the end of the day, they talk more about their universities than their affiliations.

ETA: Lol @ your quadruple posting. I was trying to figure out what was going on.
The town I grew up in is small, yes. I'm with you on the large city thing. That small town stuff didn't fly in Atlanta. It was more about what school. I never would have mentioned my sorority affiliation in a job interview type situation when I was there (unless I knew the person interviewing me was definitely a Kappa).

SMH at the quadruple posting. Good lord. Can mod clean that mess up for me, please? That's just embarrassing.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
The town I grew up in is small, yes. I'm with you on the large city thing. That small town stuff didn't fly in Atlanta. It was more about what school. I never would have mentioned my sorority affiliation in a job interview type situation when I was there (unless I knew the person interviewing me was definitely a Kappa).

SMH at the quadruple posting. Good lord. Can mod clean that mess up for me, please? That's just embarrassing.
@ the bold - That's what I was thinking.

And you can delete the posts by clicking "edit" and then "delete"

Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
@ the bold - That's what I was thinking.

And you can delete the posts by clicking "edit" and then "delete"
You are my hero. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I'm sure it does in some places. But as you say, it depends (among other things) on where you live. As has been said numerous times, the South is not monolithic, and what may be "typical Southern culture" in one place is not "typical Southern culture" elsewhere. (That's not even getting into the casual equation of "Southern culture" with some specific demographic groups but not others.) It is not something universal about the South, so it isn't accurate to describe it as though it were, which is what I think people have been responding to. It is something that can be found in some parts of the South.

I have small town and big city experiences in my part of the South, and I have never witnessed it. I have on a few occasions seen fraternity connections play a part in getting jobs, but I really haven't seen that happen as much with sororities. Certainly, many many sorority members cherish and nurture their affiliations all of their lives and remain close to sisters, but in terms of specific affiliations having an effect on careers or social standing? No. Not where I've lived.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I would always defer to keeping your sorority affiliation to yourself unless it's made clear otherwise. The responses are as likely to be anything from disinterested to ambivalent to repulsed. Yes, there's a chance someone will be impressed, but it's not worth risking being outed as a dork, snob or just oddity just to brag about something from your college days.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I'm sure it does in some places. But as you say, it depends (among other things) on where you live. As has been said numerous times, the South is not monolithic, and what may be "typical Southern culture" in one place is not "typical Southern culture" elsewhere. (That's not even getting into the casual equation of "Southern culture" with some specific demographic groups but not others.) It is not something universal about the South, so it isn't accurate to describe it as though it were, which is what I think people have been responding to. It is something that can be found in some parts of the South.
I agree with you.