GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,631
0 members and 1,631 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2003, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a sister writing news:

http://www.celeb101.com/movies/tombraider2.html

Vicki is trying to break into writing, which she is just doing on the side for now. She also wrote the book "The ABC's of College Life." The book is very funny, by the way...it very much reflects Lafayette, where we went to school (she graduated a couple of years before I got there, though).
Old 08-03-2003, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
I know this is kinda old, but I never even knew it got printed anywhere and I wanted to add it to the thread b/c I'm super excited! This is my first national "newsmaking" quote. Not a huge one, but it gets my name in someones eyesight .
http://new.crosswalk.com/news/1186935.html

Also, finding this made me do a google search on my name and I found this, not a big deal, but I'm getting somewhere just go here and search for Katey Aquilina.
http://www.studentpeaceaction.org/pu...l-may03gro.pdf
Old 08-03-2003, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Katie! When I clicked on your first link, there was a popup ad for something...couldn't tell you what it was for but it had a red rose! Too bad there wasn't a buff one!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

This year's homecoming King and Queen were announced last night for Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Ashley McCall of Alpha Gamma Delta's Alpha Sigma chapter will be crowned Homecoming Queen. Congrats to Ashley!

The Penn Online
Old 04-16-2004, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Congrats to Corey Bitzer
She is featured in the Chicago Tribune!

Beyond the varsity drag
Barry Temkin

April 16, 2004
Corey Bitzer competes like Michael Jordan and spends up to 20 hours a week pursuing her love for sports.

Yet most people wouldn't consider her a real college athlete.
A real college athlete, after all, plays for a real college team against other real college teams in front of thousands of real college fans. Bitzer, an Indiana University senior, competes in obscurity on intramural teams.

That relative anonymity ended when Sports Illustrated on Campus featured her in its April 8 edition with a cover story extolling her as "The Greatest Living (Intramural) Athlete."

The story is a funny and flattering look at the hectic life of the 22-year-old former Naperville Central basketball and softball star, who has been named Indiana's female IM athlete of the year as a junior and senior. It's also a subtle reminder that there's life after high school sports, even for kids who were good enough to have played on "real" college teams but decided not to.

Bitzer was that good. She started at point guard for Central's pre-Candace Parker basketball team and was, basketball and softball coach Andy Nussbaum says, the best defensive shortstop he has had.

The 5-foot-4-inch Bitzer could have played intercollegiate basketball, probably at the Division II or III level, but she wanted to get the best education she could while sampling the activities a large university offers.

"I wasn't sure if I would try to play basketball somewhere or just go to a big school and not even try to walk on, just be a student," she says. "So I wanted a place that offered a variety of other things too."

Bitzer did try out for the women's basketball team as a freshman. She made the squad but began to realize participating in a Division I sport would devour her free time and offer little playing time in return. She left the team that October.

"It would have been basketball, homework, bed," she says. "My parents said college is the best years of your life, and I didn't feel I'd enjoy them as much.

"I just wanted to do other things."

She didn't, however, leave basketball with a smile.

"I was crying," she says. "Basketball had been my life to that point. It was a really tough decision."

Bitzer's first foray into the intramural world was in coed basketball. Her team, the Diaper Dandies, won the league title.

That spring she joined the Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, and her intramural career really took off as she signed up for one AGD team after another.

Her pursuits have included bowling, cycling, flag football, floor hockey, running, soccer, softball, Ultimate Frisbee, volleyball and Wiffle ball. She has competed in at least 40 IM events, winning 13 titles in seven sports.

Bitzer is so competitive she had a contest with a college friend to see who could grow the best avocado, so it's no surprise she participates in coed IM sports when she can because guys present more of a challenge.

She usually doesn't train for her sports. The exception is Indiana's famed Little 500 bicycle race, for which she lifts weights and rides during a good portion of the school year.

She had not biked competitively before college but won the women's individual time trial last spring and hopes to lead AGD to the women's team title April 23.

"It's pretty clear she has taken advantage of what a Big Ten university can offer," Nussbaum says. "She actually has gone out and done what she said she would do, and then some."

The result has been a calendar that runs out of space, like when Bitzer hurries from a women's softball game to a coed contest in the same night.

"If I have a rare day off, I'm bored out of my mind," she says.

She certainly deserves the recognition the SI on Campus article has brought her. The reaction, Bitzer says, has ranged from hearing from people she hadn't talked to since high school to signing copies of the magazine for a Sports Illustrated collector.

She realizes she probably isn't the No. 1 IM athlete in the country but is proud to be singled out for her achievements.

"It's cool that people are recognizing the things I do and the sports I play and how much effort I do put into the things I do," she says.

Bitzer will graduate next month with a degree in sports marketing and management. She wants athletics to be a permanent part of her life as both a vocation and avocation.

"I don't want to sit behind a desk all day," she says. "I like to be out and be active."

She will leave Indiana with no regrets about the intercollegiate athletic road not taken.

"At first I was unsure if I had made the right decision," Bitzer says, "but since my sophomore year I haven't looked back. I've met so many cool people and am having a great time.

"I think it's hard to beat my life now. I wouldn't want to live it any other way."

----------

btemkin@tribune.com
Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune
Old 07-20-2004, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Chicago Sun-Times
July 20, 2004

JUDY BAAR TOPINKA, state treasurer and Republican Party chief, took time out of her "headache zone" of trying to make a decision on a worthy GOP challenger to go up against Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Barack Obama, spoke before her Alpha Gamma Delta sisters at their 100th anniversary and annual convention at the Marriott Sunday. Judy, Judy, Judy, you deserve a spa break!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/foste...-stella20.html
Old 07-28-2004, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

[ The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 7/28/04 ]

Send a Buzz item!

WEDNESDAY PEACH BUZZ
'Big Adventure' for pantyhose exec

By RICHARD ELDREDGE

Atlanta entrepreneur Sara Blakely flew to England on Tuesday afternoon to meet one of her business role models, Virgin founder Richard Branson. Blakely, who has made her name in the business world by creating Spanx footless control-top pantyhose, will spend the next nine weeks with Branson and company as a contestant for the businessman's upcoming Fox reality series, "Branson's Big Adventure."

"After today, we'll have no further contact with Sara until she comes back to Atlanta in October," Spanx representative Sharena Summerall told Buzz on Tuesday. Blakely got through several rounds of interviews prior before being selected for the series. The contestants will face "physical and business-related challenges." All Blakely was told before departing was to expect something "beyond her wildest dreams."

Summerall said friends had initially coaxed Blakely to participate in Donald Trump's NBC reality series, "The Apprentice." While Blakely didn't gravitate toward the wispy-haired comb-over king, she vowed that if Branson ever did a show, "I'll pack my bags."

While Blakely jets around the globe with Fox cameras, Spanx CEO Laurie Ann Goldman will be handling the business end of things in Atlanta.

Said Summerall of Blakely's bag-packing technique: "She did a lot of shopping at REI [Recreational Equipment Inc.], and I know she packed plenty of Spanx.

((Sharena is from Gamma Tau!!!))
Old 07-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Unregistered-

I got a free subscription to STUFF magazine and our lovely Amber graces the cover again.

I know some sisters didn't really agree with her first photo spread, but I thought both were very tasteful and she looks even more gorgeous in this one than she did the first time.

Heck, I'm just jealous that a) I don't have a body like that, b) she has an extra million, and c) she has a fiance in hot Boston Rob.

G-d bless you, Amber for choosing STUFF and not Playboy!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
i so saw that stuff cover coming back from california this month and i LOVED it! shoot, if i had her body i'd show it off too.

marissa
A GD
Old 07-31-2004, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Two Alpha Gams were in the Miss Georgia Pageant-

Miss Lake Lanier- TOP TEN
Kristin Moye-Mercer University- Gamma Iota!

Miss North Georgia Mountains
Rebekah Rotton- Brenau University- Mu -

http://www.geocities.com/missusamagicj/georgia2004.html
Old 08-19-2004, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Welll..not exactly the news, lol.

I was just watching the 5:00 p.m. news on WSB TV Atlanta when they had an ad for some charity walk. The 1st walkers were AGDs!!!

I was so stunned I didn't look to see if I recognized anyone. I'll have to keep an eye out next time!
Old 08-29-2004, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to schlossmo
Miss Greek 2004

Hi I just wanted to let everyone know that we won Miss Greek at the University of Washington in 2004 too! Way to go Claire!
Aimee
Iota Chapter
Old 09-08-2004, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting Article on 104 yr. old Alpha Gam

19th century meets 21st century

104-year-old pays hospital call on 2-day-old, tells of childhood in Barberton, staying active

excerpt from article
She completed her education at the University of Akron, or ``the U,'' as she calls it, where she joined the Alpha Gamma Delta sorority. She still recalls she was pledge No. 22.

Hickox also studied education over three summers at Harvard.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Interesting Article on 104 yr. old Alpha Gam

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristin AGD
19th century meets 21st century

104-year-old pays hospital call on 2-day-old, tells of childhood in Barberton, staying active

excerpt from article
She completed her education at the University of Akron, or ``the U,'' as she calls it, where she joined the Alpha Gamma Delta sorority. She still recalls she was pledge No. 22.

Hickox also studied education over three summers at Harvard.
What a pistol! I love hearing about the "not-so-famous" people of the world and their stories about their life journey. My great grandmother is still alive (but not in the same shape as Ms. Hickoc). But think about all the "new" things that they had lived through and all the "sad" things they have lived through.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 09-11-2004, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

This is not a happy news article. Holly Schwind, a former President of our Zeta Sigma Chapter at Northwood University was murdered by her ex-boyfriend last week.

article about Holly

another article

May our thoughts and prayers be with her family.

Dee

Last edited by AGDee; 09-11-2004 at 12:26 PM.