GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,098
0 members and 1,098 guests
No Members online

Old 08-07-2005, 05:45 PM

Old 08-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by ForeverDiamond
Well MY take on what NOT to do or say...

You shouldn't come on GC and bash the chapters at your school (especially when someone on here is a member of one of them) and get a bunch of people mad at you, then disappear, then come back the next summer under a different name like nothing happened, once again giving away very obvious clues as to who you are and where you go to school.

Indie_Superstar/Mermaidgirl/EMILY, I mean YOU. Please find something better to do with your time.
LMFAO. Quoted for posterity.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:14 PM

* BE ON TIME to your parties! If you are late/don't show up, obviously the chapters miss an opportunity to get to know you. And if they can't get to know you, they don't know if they want to invite you back.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-07-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
* BE ON TIME to your parties! If you are late/don't show up, obviously the chapters miss an opportunity to get to know you. And if they can't get to know you, they don't know if they want to invite you back.
On the same token, don't feel like you have to skip class to attend a recruitment party. If you have class, go to class. One of the things sororities want to see is a commitment to academics. We are in school to get an education. If you have to leave a party early or be late to a party because of class, the sorority should understand. Be sure to let your Rho Chi/Pi Chi/Rho Gamma know about your conflict and they will be able to let the sister at the house know.

If you get invited back to the next party, you could ask about whatever was covered the night before. If you continue to show interest in the sorority, at least at my school it wouldn't matter that you had to go to class.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:33 PM

* A word of advice on the same token, DON'T NEGLECT YOUR SCHOOLWORK during the rush period. It can be overwhelming, but definitely don't forget to do your work.

*TAKE NOTES or something between/after parties. It will be hard to remember some things that might be helpful to you. If you jot down the things that stood out to you about each sorority, it will make things less stressful.

*KNOW HOW TO REACH YOUR RECRUITMENT COUNSELOR! These women are here to help at all times, so get her phone number and e-mail so that you have them if something urgent should occur (i.e. illness, an accident, family emergency) that would have an effect on your attending rush parties. Or if you are having a tough time or need someone to talk to, you can talk to her.

* GET TO KNOW THE GIRLS IN YOUR RECRUITMENT COUNSELOR GROUP! It's nice to have girls to talk to about the experience. Some of your best friends could end up being these girls. Many times, even if you all end up in different places, you'll all stay friends.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-08-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:30 PM

*DON'T choose your sorority based on the one you THINK your recruitment counselor might be in. That's a little silly.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
*DON'T choose your sorority based on the one you THINK your recruitment counselor might be in. That's a little silly.
As part of our rho chi training, we had to do mock counseling sessions. For one of my sessions, I had to counsel a "PNM" who came in saying that she wanted to be in the same sorority as I was in and that she was convinced I was an AEPhi. My answer: "If you think I'm an AEPhi, you have a one in seventeen chance of being right. And whether I am or not, I'm just one sister out of many. Look at the entire sisterhood, and think about where you feel at home and comfortable."

(As it so happened, my PNMs were convinced that I was an XYZ. I don't think any of them had me pegged for an AEPhi.)

Along these lines: DON'T choose a sorority because you have a friend who's a sister, if you don't feel comfortable with the other sisters. Think about all the members, not just one.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:44 PM

*DO NOT LIE. Whatever you lie about will most likely be found out and YOU WILL GET CUT FROM THAT CHAPTER. If the lie is serious enough, it might cause you to get CUT COMPLETELY. Just don't do it. In the grand-scheme of things, it's not worth it. If you feel like you have to LIE about yourself or your accomplishments, you need to do some work on yourself before you try to join any group.

*If you have a difficult name, don't get offended if your rusher doesn't say it right the first time. Just politely correct her and continue the conversation.

*DON'T ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT BIDS. If you have a GENERAL question about bids, ask your recruitment counselor. Some might disagree with me, but nothing is worse than a PNM who asks you through the entire rush process, " How do I get a bid?", "How high am I on the bid list?", and "How do you figure out who goes on it?"

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-08-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

This was a problem for us last pledging...

Dont come completely wasted. I know alcohol can be liquid confidence but coming to a pre-pledge completely trashed and falling over is not a good first impression. We want to get to know you as a person and not by what your puke looks like. If you're priming with your friends or coming for another groups event keep in mind the amount you're drinking please!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

- Don't burn your bridges-- keep an open mind and keep your options open

- Be nice

- Have fun

- Don't listen to gossip "on the street" from other PNMs or allow others to influence your decision (and vice versa)

- Don't ask pestering questions about the Bid List or make assumptions "When I join XYZ"

- Be a gracious guest in your hostess's home

- This is an INTERVIEW-- be prepared with questions to ask about membership and some anecdotes or replies to common questions you might expect

- Smile and relax

- If you don't join a sorority, it's not the end of the world. And yes, you can still post on GC!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
-
- Don't listen to gossip "on the street" from other PNMs or allow others to influence your decision (and vice versa)
This is HUGE!!! One year almost an entire Rho Chi group went to XYZ house at my school. We were all so confused (because some of the girls didn't really "fit" with that chapter) but then we remembered one loud mouthed girl who was in that group who had dropped out of rush the year before because she was cut from everyone except for one house.

We found out later (after about half of them de-pledged) that this girl had convinced all of them to go XYZ. Half of them hated it and ended up having to rush again.

Moral of the story: don't listen to the loud mouthed girl in your rush group about ANYTHING. She is NOT an expert on anything, and if she knows a lot about the houses on campus then that probably means she has already been through the process...and look how well that worked for her.

Trust yourself during this process because you're the one who has to live with your decision!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

DON'T rely solely on a groups colors to make sure you have the right one.

DO learn the names of the sororities you are visiting....at least towards the end of recruitment.

Example: My sister when through recruitment and for preference cut the wrong group because she used their colors instead of their names when remembering them....unfortunately their colors were virtually the same as another and when she went to pref the next day....she realized she cut the wrong sorority!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Unregistered-

Before rush:

Do not solicit for recs in the LJ sororitygirl community and not expect us to figure out who you are. If it wasn't hard to figure out who you are, what makes you think the Greeks at your school won't do the same?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
Before rush:

Do not solicit for recs in the LJ sororitygirl community and not expect us to figure out who you are. If it wasn't hard to figure out who you are, what makes you think the Greeks at your school won't do the same?
I would have to second this hard-core. You should go about things the proper way by contacting a local panhellenic if you don't know a woman in a particular group. Don't contact people through LJ where the average age of posters is 15!
Old 08-13-2005, 08:53 PM

*If there's a chapter that you honestly do like alot and really feel comfortable, DO let them know by listening to your rusher talk and commenting on what she says. Engage in the conversation, and honestly show interest. Example: If you like ABC's philanthropy event, say so. But do so TACTFULLY.

On the same token,

This does happen so I'm going to say this:

*DON'T BE SO OVERZEALOUS ABOUT A PARTICUALR CHAPTER THAT YOU BECOME A STALKER! There are contact rules between sorority members and rushees during this time, so the 32,343,323 random house drop-ins, e-mails, IM's and phone calls about how you "Can't wait to be an XYZ!" will go unanswered, be seen as very creepy and possibly hurt your chances. Casual hello's and small talk (unrelated to rush) are perfectly fine. Most people know the limits of overzealous/borderline stalker behavior, so use your better judgement there.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-13-2005 at 09:14 PM.