GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,527
2 members and 1,525 guests
flirt5721

Old 09-21-2005, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Sadly, it is alive and well. I can tell you that if you work at any Orlando park, you will have to take out your piercings and cover up your body art, no matter what. These are family-oriented parks and all employees must project a standard image. When I worked for one of the parks, there were standards for men and women whether you worked in the park or in the professional offices-- men's hair had to be kept at a standard length, no earrings. Women were not allowed to wear open toed shoes, you were limited on how much jewlery was permitted (one ring per hand; your wedding set would count as one ring for your left hand of course), etc.
As an aside, I don't think that those policies are limited to Disney parks. I worked for an amusement park after my freshman year of college, and that park had similar rules. In addition, I have friends who worked at other parks, and it seems they had similar experiences.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by BaylorBean
I had a pledge sister who went and did this program. She never came back and no one has heard from her since. (that was going on 6 years ago)
Me, too! One of my sorority sisters did the Disney internship thing, and though she would insist that she was coming back for good whenever she'd come visit, she never came back to college again. It's like she just...disappeared. Scary, seriously.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Two of the brothers from my APO chapter did it and returned. One of them was a pledge brother of mine and he was ambivalent on it. He was HRIM so it wouldn't look too badly on his resume but he didn't do much that would be great experience. Frankly, he was happy to be back at PSU when it was over and done with.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Disney Internships/Disney College Program

Quote:
Originally posted by xplpx16
Has anyone done this or known anyone who has? If so, what did you go for? I'm thinking of going for Radio Communications. If anyone was in that program, how was it? Also... What was your cast position? Thanks!
I don't know all of the details, but I know someone that is doing one right now. She says she loves it.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, Do you know what goes on n the phone interview and what I should prepare myself for?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:19 PM

It's really weird, but EVERY person I know who went away to Disney College Program NEVER came back to school.

It's like they went down to Florida and stayed. Next thing you know they are living in Orlando and working retail.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My cousin did it during her college years, and she went make to school in Arizona; however, her dad lived in Orlando so it was more of a close summer job so she could visit her dad.

I had another friend do it, and she hated it. Because she was an elementary major they basically assigned her to babysitting, and she detested it. Long hours and little to no pay.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
Long hours and little to no pay.
Yeah, that's about what I heard. The only person I know who liked it was a collegiate golfer who essentially got to play golf the whole summer with VIPs. It was still long hours and low pay, but he was at least doing something fun.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I had two friends who had the internship. One got a nice placement in the park her second summer when she went back, left at the end of her term, and now has a nice job elsewhere. The other friend was a girl who shared a pledge kid with me (pledge kids are expensive so I'm glad she wanted to share!). Upon graduation, she went to Disney. We never saw her since.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Does anyone have any new experiences to report?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 AM

Well, the big news is that men are now allowed to have well groomed FACIAL HAIR!!!

The next thing you know Goofy and Clarabelle are gonna be gettin' it on right in the middle of the park.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Does anyone have any new experiences to report?
My daughter did 2 internships back to back at the Animal Kingdom. She learned A LOT. Since she moved to Orlando and her boyfriend already lived there, he found her an apartment which was not Disney housing. She was very happy to not be Disney 24/7 and to have her own life. Unfortunately, the second internship was in management and she learned so much that she was more than qualified for several of the permanent full time position that opened up. When they hired some outside person who was a flake and had her train the person (you are not qualified for the job but qualified to train your boss), she and BF decided it was time to leave. She finished out her temporary full time position and then left for Boston in April where they are both much happier. Neither of them liked Orlando.

My daughter actually did the internship after graduation so she did not drop out of school following her internship. She is now planning to go back to get her Master's.

Last edited by DaffyKD; 01-26-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
YIKES this thread freaked me out a tad. My fiance's sister is doing the Disney internship next year (I think).
Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

My sister did it years ago, and she DID return to college. I think she would also tell you it was one of the most valuable and rewarding experiences of her life (up until getting married and having kids I suppose). Attending the Disney College of Knowledge taught her a lot about how to search for a job practically and professionally. For instance, when Disney tells you to get the cutesy crap off your voicemail, I'd say that's advice worth following.

On the other hand, it is a bit cult-like and I think a person should go in with that in mind. There is also a ridiculous amount of partying (sex, she didn't mention drugs to older sister, but it was kind of implied) at Vista Way. It's kind of like 3 months of spring break, except you have to get up and go to work every day. She worked in a store at MGM studios.

My husband was in the All-American Marching Band and he also has amazing stories to tell. He did NOT go back to college, but that's less about Disney and more about his utter lack of motivation to show up to class. He didn't stay in Orlando but came back to the Midwest to start his life as a rock star.

I would say if a person has the opportunity to do it, they should! But be aware of the potential to get sucked in to a life of near minimum wage and practically living in dorms the rest of your life.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I have 3 or 4 friends who have done it. All returned to school, but at least 2 (maybe 3) have returned or plan to return to Orlando post graduation. One is currently in management training, another is doing character work.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ