GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,192
0 members and 2,192 guests
No Members online

Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Would love some input on our fundraiser idea.

So, our chapter's first fundraiser is called "More than Just a Name". Between us, we are able to fluently read, write and speak nine languages. We decided to take this ability and create something to raise funds that would simultaneously be nice for others to have and easy on the materials costs.

We're planning to sell custom calligraphed names and short phrases on art paper to order on the spot in a choice of six languages.

Our big question seems to be:

Is it better to have a few examples handy to show prospective customers, and/or to also have demos throughout the day, so prospective customers may see us at work and know what kind of product they would be getting?

Also, since we are students and only have finite amounts of time (hello, studying!) would the ability for customers to pre-order to spread out the load be something that might make sense? I mean, in that case it would be difficult to actually do those orders on the spot....and would deprive a customer of seeing his or her order come to life...but it would be helpful to our sisters time-wise and might bring other potential customers in if they see that their friends have them already and how nice they look.

We're charging .50cents per small and $1.00 for the large. I hope that we aren't pricing things too cheaply.

We are curious of what others may think about our concerns and any other ideas about making this event a success that anyone might have.

Thank you!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that's so cool! I think having samples would be a good idea because it would enable you to show off what you're selling and attract more buyers. Furthermore, I also think demos are a good idea. Maybe you could have 1 sample at first and then throughout the day do demos so people can see how much work you put into them.
Very clever idea!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you yellowrose for your input! We will do the demos and a few samples, and see how everything goes while the fundraiser runs.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Your prices seem a little low. Will these phrases and names be large enough that your customers can frame them? If so, I think you should raise your prices. I think people would be willing to pay a couple of dollars at least for them.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

That's something that definitely hadn't been considered.

The small size looks like this:
http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-a...Fa1xQgodI2IAOA

and these, sliced in half, as the large.
http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-a...anvas-pad.html

Prices could probably be bumped up slightly. A 3x3 inch frame may be difficult to find.

This is good, thank you Xidelt for your input.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

could you post a sample online?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like a good and doable idea. :-) Thank you adpiucf for the idea!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
So, I do not know your campus, but I'm going to make a crazy suggestion, and you decide if it's appropriate for UNR and your group:

Are there a decent number of organizations that have a set meeting time/place? If so, you could possibly allow people to order these for delivery at a higher price. Let's say you have a list of organizations: primarily Greek orgs, but maybe also things like Hillel, or the Marketing Students Group or what have-you.

First you contact those orgs, and ask if you can drop by their meetings, and so on. You compile a list, put it on the table where you are selling these, and then people can be like "oh, for $3, I can send a nice message to my girlfriend at her meeting" or "oh, for $5, I can interrupt my roommate's lacrosse practice to tell him to do the dishes".

This is more work, organizationally, but it opens up a whole new angle. I feel like I definitely would have paid a couple of bucks here and there to send secret messages to my friends so that they had to track down some sort of translation, and would have liked receiving the same, but I'm a total troublemaker.

ETA: I would TOTALLY ask a guy to formal in this manner, if it was a friend or boyfriend I knew would say yes, and just wanted to have some fun with it.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 03-28-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM

I don't really understand exactly what your product is, but I am guessing your prices are too low. I had to pay 50 cents to use the bathroom in San Jose last week.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

You might want to do a bunch of examples...not just to use as examples, but also for on-the-spot sales.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
So, I do not know your campus, but I'm going to make a crazy suggestion, and you decide if it's appropriate for UNR and your group:

Are there a decent number of organizations that have a set meeting time/place? If so, you could possibly allow people to order these for delivery at a higher price. Let's say you have a list of organizations: primarily Greek orgs, but maybe also things like Hillel, or the Marketing Students Group or what have-you.

First you contact those orgs, and ask if you can drop by their meetings, and so on. You compile a list, put it on the table where you are selling these, and then people can be like "oh, for $3, I can send a nice message to my girlfriend at her meeting" or "oh, for $5, I can interrupt my roommate's lacrosse practice to tell him to do the dishes".

This is more work, organizationally, but it opens up a whole new angle. I feel like I definitely would have paid a couple of bucks here and there to send secret messages to my friends so that they had to track down some sort of translation, and would have liked receiving the same, but I'm a total troublemaker.

ETA: I would TOTALLY ask a guy to formal in this manner, if it was a friend or boyfriend I knew would say yes, and just wanted to have some fun with it.
I need to give you a medal DeltaBetaBaby. Our campus is the kind that loves stuff like what you're suggesting. I cannot remember how many of my classes were sweetly interrupted around Valentines Day because the brothers of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia would call someone out into the hall to be serenaded, on orders from their boyfriend or girlfriend or wife or husband paying them them the $10 or $15 for a serenade. I heard from one of their brothers that I know, that the fundraiser was wildly successful for them, but hadn't thought of using a similar idea in relation to us.

Some of my sisters share the same sort of humor as you do, and would find it amusing to write little notes to various people in Chinese or Korean and then end up being able to translate them later and then write out the responses.

AnchorAlumna: I'd personally like to tackle doing some ready made "samples" with common sayings in the three languages that I specialize in to have ready for sale next week when we kick this off.

Thank you everyone for your input and ideas....they are all extremely helpful.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

The fundraiser ended this afternoon. While we didn't raise as much as we hoped,it was a good learning experience for us all.

Thank you again for all of your advice.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Banned

I don't know if you're looking for a traditional fundraiser or some crazy new idea... but my fav traditional style fundraisers are:

Doughnuts: http://www.krispykreme.com/Fundraising/How-It-Works
Coffee: http://www.drivencoffee.com/fundraising
Candy/Chocolate: http://www.hersheys.com/fundraising/

Good luck!