GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,439
1 members and 1,438 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

KKΓ Trivia

I stole this from another org's forum. Anyone up for some Kappa trivia? I'm kind of a nerd about it sometime. Try not to look up the answer if you can!

Which of our founders' keys is the only one we still have?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Which of our founders' keys is the only one we still have?
Anna Willits.

Who was the youngest founder?
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Susan Burley Walker was the first initiate and youngest of the founders, at age 14.

Who was the first Kappa alumna?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa2 View Post
Who was the first Kappa alumna?
I think it's Susan Burley Walker. I feel like I heard she was the youngest and the first alumna...I'll wait on posting another question til I see if I was right!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

You're right!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry I totally dropped the ball! Does anyone else have a question?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Ooo I've got one! Which founder didn't sign the charter because she couldn't find her galoshes?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

That's such a cute question, but I have no idea!

(Btw, I know EXACTLY where my galoshes are...in case I need to sign a charter or something...)
Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll have to double check my presentation (don't have it on this computer), but I'm pretty sure it was Lou Stevenson Next person? I have more questions, but I don't want to hog the thread, lol.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

At one time, KKG owned a home which alumnae could stay for a visit or live in. What was the property called and where is it located?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Ahhh it was definitely in Winter Park, FL, but I can't remember the name... wasn't it named after one of the founders?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

It was called the Boyd Hearthstone after Mary Louise Bennett Boyd, the only living founder.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

You are both correct! The following article is from Historically Speaking, April 2007:

Was Kappa the first, maybe the only, women’s fraternity to build a house for alumnae? Yes, in 1933 the first step to make this dream a
reality was taken when the Grand Council voted that a committee be formed to investigate the possibilities of establishing a Kappa home for alumnae.

The 1934 Convention approved the report from the committee with these suggestions: the name should be “Kappa Club House,” the project was to be self-supporting, there should be further investigation on the methods of establishment and it should be an alumna project. The 1935 Council Session voted to “instruct the chairman to take preliminary steps toward planning a campaign for an endowment to be launched at the next Fraternity Convention.”

The Hearthstone Fund was established in 1936 as a gift fund and alumna project. The purpose was to provide alumna club houses in several parts of the country where Kappas could “enjoy friends of common interest and a gracious home together.” Such club houses were to stand as memorials to the Fraternity Founders, who envisioned friendship and the idea of the Fraternity as lasting throughout life, not merely during college days. Unfortunately, it was not clearly determined at that time whether the club houses should be for Kappas as a retirement home or an alumna chapter home where Kappas of all ages
could live on a cost basis. These two functions for one house were not practical. The 1936 Convention voted to endorse the Hearthstone Fund and to name the first home “Hearthstone.” The campaign with its slogan, “Be a Brick, Buy a Brick,” proceeded. Pledges and money began to flow into the fund.

The original plans were to build a sizeable endowment before purchasing the first Hearthstone unit. However, in 1937 the purchase of the Lee property in Winter Park, Florida, was authorized at a cost of $25,000. The loan was authorized from
The Key Publishing Fund and a local committee and Board of Trustees was established. The Boyd Hearthstone, named for
M. Louise Bennett Boyd, the only living Founder, was dedicated on Founders Day in 1938.

The Hearthstone was a gracious lake-front home in a beautiful setting, furnished in antiques, and would accommodate 10 guests and the hostess manager. It was intended for year-round use but the demand was always seasonal, which complicated the planning and operation. It was not designed as a permanent retirement home. (To see pictures of the Hearthstone: page 144, History 2000; page 149, The History of Kappa Kappa Gamma 1870-1976.)

The house was never fully utilized and as a result was financially unsound. Of the more than 60,000 Kappas in 1960, fewer than 20 stayed at the Hearthstone. At every Convention, the Hearthstone project was a matter of discussion. It became obvious the operation could not continue. The Board of Trustees recommended to the 1960 Convention “that Council be authorized to dispose of the property to the greatest benefit of the Hearthstone Fund, at such time as it deemed proper…” In accordance with the Convention vote, the property was put up for sale but it wasn’t until November 1962 that the sale was finalized.

Hearthstone operated until a sale was closed and its new owners tore down the stately house. Many of its valuable antique furnishings were sent to Fraternity Headquarters. Several gifts were made to Rollins College and its Delta Epsilon Chapter, and other chapters in the area also benefited. Items were sold at a private sale to local alumnae. Net proceeds from the entire Hearthstone liquidation totaled $43,453.37, and it was voted that the funds be used toward restoration of Fraternity Headquarters, which had been severely damaged by fire in February, 1965.

The Endowment Fund was never realized and there was never an assured annual income as recommended in 1934. Neither did the Hearthstone have the whole-hearted backing of the Fraternity alumnae associations, financially or otherwise. Finally and most importantly, it became increasingly difficult to find local Kappas willing to give the time necessary as a board member.

Despite the beauty of its setting, the availability of music, art, theater and sports at nearby Rollins College and the dedicated efforts of the Fraternity Council, trustees and committee chairmen, the Hearthstone never fulfilled its potential or the dream of the Fraternity. Who knows, maybe it was simply an idea before its time.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm trying to think of a question, but I'm a ritual nerd, so my questions aren't internet appropriate. Umm...OH ok I have two (because they're both kinda funky):

1) According to Kappa policy, where is the correct place to wear your badge?

2) This one is more about another group than Kappa but...ok. Another NPC sorority also had light blue and dark blue as their colors, but they later changed them. Which group was it?
Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone?