GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,516
1 members and 2,515 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

rushing

nervous

Last edited by aeda; 06-28-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeda View Post
so at my school formal rush is spring 2008 in february. i'm totally freaked out and nervous. i've wanted to be in a sorority for the longest time. at my school it seems extremely competitive and i just don't know if i have what it takes. all the girls at my school are gorgeous. my school consists of five sororities. and i've already have my heart set on two even though i haven't met the girls yet. it's stupid, but i can't help it. i've been trying to prepare myself since my junior year of high school...but what if they don't like me or want me. i'm also a minority at my school, i know that shouldn't matter, however i believe it plays an important role, even if no one says it, they all know it. and i'm definetely not the type to join a multi-cultural sorority.
Get rid of that mentality ASAP or you'll find yourself severely disappointed should things not turn out the way you want them to.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Getting your heart set on a particular group is a sure-fire way to be disappointed come bid day. Read enough on this site and you will see that the group itself is not really all that important in order to have a great sorority experience. In the end, as long as you act genuine and like yourself in recruitment (as much as possible, at least) you will end up with a bid from a group who specifically wants YOU.

As far as getting worried over your minority status... any sorority that you would want to be a part of shouldn't be hung up on racism, right? So don't worry about it and have faith that the system will find you a place you belong.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
awww, thanks. i'm just so nervous and over analyzing everything. but i don't think it's rare that people have their heart set on something they want to be a part of. a lot it's from what you hear, their reputations and what not. ugh, i totally need to stop. and i've been trying to figure out how rushing works exactly. i've read a lot of these threads and every school seems pretty different. i just want to be prepared and know what's going to happen.
It's not rare at all. A lot of PNMs going into rush do the exact same thing. Many of them end up going through rush with an open mind, and then realize their "top houses" going in didn't really meet their own personal expectations, all this despite the house's reputations.

Every school is different when it comes to recruitment. That said, if you haven't already done so, adpiucf's General Advice thread is a good one to read.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
awww, thanks. i'm just so nervous and over analyzing everything. but i don't think it's rare that people have their heart set on something they want to be a part of. a lot it's from what you hear, their reputations and what not. ugh, i totally need to stop. and i've been trying to figure out how rushing works exactly. i've read a lot of these threads and every school seems pretty different. i just want to be prepared and know what's going to happen.

Yes, you're right, you do need to stop.

Seriously though, it's not rare to have your heart set one group, but from reading threads on this board it should be pretty obvious that having that mindset can lead to disappointment. Also, I would strongly caution against paying much attention to reputations. Another common theme underlying tons of recruitment stories on here: Chapters are rarely, if ever, anything like their "reputations."

Good luck and keep us informed!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

My school has deferred recruitment as well. It's totally normal to have favorites going into recruitment! I fell in love with two chapters after the first round, but I didn't pledge either of them! One of them cut me and I changed my mind about the other one, but I wouldn't change a thing about my experience. I definitely ended up in the right chapter for me. Look for the positive in every chapter and keep your options as open as possible until you sign your bid card.

As for your race, it really depends on the campus. At my school, if anything, it'd be a slight plus since our chapters want to be diverse! Actually, my chapter's newest new member class has more racial and/or religious minorities than White Christians. Look at the existing makeup of the chapters, if they're diverse, race is probably no issue. But be yourself at all costs.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM

A lot of girls go into recruitment (rush) with their hearts set on a few sororities in particular. You are right when you say that you need to stop it. I suggest keeping an open mind to ALL of the sororities in rush because you never know what might happen.

For example, you could have your heart set on these 2 sororities, but they might decide (for whatever reason) not to invite you back. Then you'd be very hurt and disappointed. But if you keep an open mind, you wouldn't be that upset about it because you'd be like "well at least I have these other sororities to check out."

About the whole race thing, I rushed and joined my sorority through informal recruitment, and i'm Black. Honestly, you just have to be yourself and let the chips fall where they may.

I suggest looking at some of the advice threads in the Sorority Recruitment forum. They have lots of good info.

Good luck!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-03-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Just go through rush and the right house will find you. Be open minded though, I was completely surprised when I actually went through rush at the fraternity I ended up picking and a lot of girls I know felt the same way about their rush.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Aeda, check out my story that I already posted. It will definitely prove how a woman's mind can change from even day to day and party to party during recruitment - and so many of us on GC had similar experiences! http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=90277 PM me if you have any questions or need to vent
Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to tanzera
Just curious why do you say you are definitely not the type to join a multicultural sorority? There are two types of multicultural sorororitites those like mine where it means we try never to be dominated by one particular race (www.lambbdaphixiunr.com and there are other groups that use the term multicultural or may be on the multicultural greek council but they are latina or asian based etc. All of these organizations are fantastic and have something great to offer. If all else fails, bring your own sorority to campus!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

She shouldn't have to defend why she doesn't want to be in a multicultural sorority. It's comparing apples to oranges on pretty much every campus. Although many campuses have "multicultural" Panhellenic Associations in the sense that they are racially diverse, the Multicultural Sorority experience is a different one. No one asks White members of NPC groups why they didn't join multicultural sororities.

Last edited by violetpretty; 12-04-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
She shouldn't have to defend why she doesn't want to be in a multicultural sorority. It's comparing apples to oranges on pretty much every campus. Although many campuses have racially diverse Panhellenic Associations, the "multicultural" experience is a different one. No one asks White members of NPC groups why they didn't join multicultural sororities.
Agreed.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i'm also a minority at my school, i know that shouldn't matter, however i believe it plays an important role, even if no one says it, they all know it. and i'm definetely not the type to join a multi-cultural sorority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzera View Post
Just curious why do you say you are definitely not the type to join a multicultural sorority?
Quote:
She shouldn't have to defend why she doesn't want to be in a multicultural sorority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Agreed.
Just to point out that tanzera brought it up because the OP said she wasn't the type to join a multi-cultural group. I know the OP didn't mean anything bad about this statement...what is good for her is her own business...her statement could be construed the wrong way. I think tanzera was just questioning what the OP meant. That being said, I do agree that a woman's decision to join an NPC, NPHC or multi-cultural group is her decision no matter what racial group she falls into.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I doubt you offended her, but it looks like she felt the need to clarify what you might think a multi-cultural sorority is. Unfortunately, sometimes people read what you write completely differently than how you meant it. It's happened to me so many times. No matter what, don't let anyone taking offense on this board stop you from posting your story. We really enjoy them! Also, you may get some valuable advice along the way!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
She shouldn't have to defend why she doesn't want to be in a multicultural sorority. It's comparing apples to oranges on pretty much every campus. Although many campuses have "multicultural" Panhellenic Associations in the sense that they are racially diverse, the Multicultural Sorority experience is a different one. No one asks White members of NPC groups why they didn't join multicultural sororities.
I agree as well. Different groups of organizations offer different things. If you're looking for a "Panhellenic experience" you're not going to pursue another type of sorority, regardless of your ethnicity.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.