GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,058
0 members and 1,058 guests
No Members online

Old 08-02-2011, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face A Greek Virgin Recruitment Story

I have recently been reading a bunch of the recruitment stories from the past and I absolutely love them and this encouraged me to post my own Fall 2010 recruitment story (it also is great to relive these memories!)

As the title suggests, I was a Greek virgin. None of my family was ever Greek, none of my friends went Greek (with the exception of one friend of a friend), and it really wasn’t my intention at all to go Greek. Because, let’s face it, when you don’t actually know anyone in the Greek system the only thing I had to base it on was TV Shows and Movies. Now granted I love me some Legally Blonde and Greek is one of my favorite shows but I just didn’t see myself fitting in to that life, at all. But, on the other hand, I was a Freshman going to a school that none of my best-friends were going to, and I knew I needed to find people that would be bridesmaids at my wedding and lifelong friends. My best friend suggested going Greek. I was hesitant, going back and forth, but decided that recruitment didn’t equal commitment, and so my journey began.

Due to my Greek Virgin-ness I didn't go in with any letters of rec (I had no clue what they even were) and didn't pick out my outfits until the hours before as I was getting ready. I had no idea that these things were thought about by girls for weeks and weeks before actual recruitment. My school isn't too too competitive and recs aren't that common but lots of girls still had them and outfits were definitely bought specifically for this occasion. Oh well it was how it was!

We have 7 NPC sororities at my school which, even though I would prefer to not use code names, I don’t want to say anything that could offend anyone or any group. Therefore, I will name them after 7 household items.
  1. Scissors
  2. Glue
  3. Ruler
  4. Pen
  5. Pencil
  6. Eraser
  7. Stapler
Now I don’t know how much detail ya’ll are wanting so if this intro is boring you, skip ahead, because there is a bit more to come.

So, a couple of interesting things. For one, I had to miss the first day of recruitment. My Uncle was getting married and for my family it
was a very big deal since it was only the second wedding I’ve ever attended. I had to be there. I don’t know how much that affected things but it is something to keep in mind.

Secondly, I actually knew what chapter my Rho Chi was from, from the very beginning. Because of me missing the first day, I missed some of the orientation and was sent a different e-mail from my Rho Chi than everyone else. She accidentally attached the wrong form. It was called “Rho-Chi Questions” so I had no suspicions that it was the wrong thing. But then I read the top part and saw their sorority and knew that this was a mistake. It turns out she had sent me her answers to the questions required for her Rho Chi application. Needless to say, this made things a bit different. I really liked my Rho Chi and she was nice and I give her credit for the way she handled all of my ranking sessions with her since I knew at points I could be hurting her feelings. I will say now that she was a member of Glue just so you can follow the story better.

Finally, I had heard a few things about sororities as I went into recruitment even though I tried to keep an open mind. The only person that I knew who was Greek happened to go to my school and kind of gave me some of the stereotypes. However, I ended up debunking these in my trip through recruitment as I met wonderful girls all around.

More to come tomorrow with my first day (second day for everyone else!)

Last edited by pnmin2010; 08-04-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnmin2010 View Post
I have recently been reading a bunch of the recruitment stories from the past and I absolutely love them and this encouraged me to post my own Fall 2010 recruitment story (it also is great to relive these memories!)

As the title suggests, I was a Greek virgin. None of my family was ever Greek, none of my friends went Greek (with the exception of one friend of a friend), and it really wasn’t my intention at all to go Greek. Because, let’s face it, when you don’t actually know anyone in the Greek system the only thing I had to base it on was TV Shows and Movies. Now granted I love me some Legally Blonde and Greek is one of my favorite shows but I just didn’t see myself fitting in to that life, at all.

But, on the other hand, I was a Freshman going to a school that none of my best-friends were going to, and I knew I needed to find people that would be bridesmaids at my wedding and lifelong friends. My best friend suggested going Greek. I was hesitant, going back and forth, but decided that recruitment didn’t equal commitment, and so my journey began.

We have 7 NPC sororities at my school which, even though I would prefer to not use code names, I don’t want to say anything that could offend anyone or any group. Therefore, I will name them after 7 household items.
  1. Scissors
  2. Glue
  3. Ruler
  4. Pen
  5. Pencil
  6. Eraser
  7. Stapler
Now I don’t know how much detail ya’ll are wanting so if this intro is boring you, skip ahead, because there is a bit more to come.

So, a couple of interesting things. For one, I had to miss the first day of recruitment. My Uncle was getting married and for my family it
was a very big deal since it was only the second wedding I’ve ever attended. I had to be there. I don’t know how much that affected things but it is something to keep in mind.

Secondly, I actually knew what chapter my Rho Chi was from, from the very beginning. Because of me missing the first day, I missed some of the orientation and was sent a different e-mail from my Rho Chi than everyone else. She accidentally attached the wrong form. It was called “Rho-Chi Questions” so I had no suspicions that it was the wrong thing. But then I read the top part and saw their sorority and knew that this was a mistake. It turns out she had sent me her answers to the questions required for her Rho Chi application. Needless to say, this made things a bit different. I really liked my Rho Chi and she was nice and I give her credit for the way she handled all of my ranking sessions with her since I knew at points I could be hurting her feelings. I will say now that she was a member of Glue just so you can follow the story better.

Finally, I had heard a few things about sororities as I went into recruitment even though I tried to keep an open mind. The only person that I knew who was Greek happened to go to my school and kind of gave me some of the stereotypes. However, I ended up debunking these in my trip through recruitment as I met wonderful girls all around.

More to come tomorrow with my first day (second day for everyone else!)

can't wait to hear the rest
Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2 (My first day) - House Tours

Missing the first day posed a bit of a problem because on House Tour day you can only visit up to 6 houses. Luckily Panhellenic was able to make it so I could still visit all 7 houses. I was with a group of 3 other girls who had the same issue and everything was normal except that at two houses we had to cut our time in half. That meant only about 15 minutes (maybe a bit less). This happened at Glue and Eraser.

Scissors – I remember this day as being amazing as a whole because I loved all of the songs that each house did on our way in! It was such a unique experience that only comes from rush! I really loved these girls and was surprised to find in the house that the old student-body president from my high school (I was also in student council so I knew her fairly well, although she was 3 years older) was in this house. She had originally gone to school somewhere else so I was so surprised to see her. The girls were very nice and I loved their furniture and rooms inside their house! Definitely wanted to come back here!

Glue – I only had 15 minutes here so I was just taken on a quick house tour and so didn’t get to sit down and have a conversation with these girls. All I remember is talking to the active about our love for Harry Potter and I really liked that we weren’t just talking about the basic stuff. I definitely liked this girl, however, I just didn’t have much time in this house so I ranked them in the middle of the pack.

Ruler – One of these girls was in my calculus class and she always wore her letters which were so cute. She was also so nice so I was really looking forward to this house. The house was beautiful and their rooms were to die for! I had some good conversations, but in hindsight I probably seemed as if I was trying too hard. I really wanted to impress these girls and I really wanted to come back!

Pen – This was the house that my friend’s friend was in (the one I had talked to). She had told me they had a reputation of being the party sorority so I had kind of ruled them out, although I tried to have an open mind. I just remember loving the girls! They were so nice and I had great conversations with them. They didn’t seem to fit the party stereotype at all! I ranked them pretty high!

Pencil – They had a beautiful house and gorgeous girls. I had some good conversations although many were surprised at my major. I liked them a lot but just didn’t see myself here because they all just seemed to perfect for me and I didn’t think I could ever fit in here.

Eraser – This was my other house that I only had 15 minutes in. I was double-rushed which I quickly became not a fan of. I become very shy when there is another girl there. The girl who rushed me seemed pretty bubbly but I just didn’t get a good vibe here, but I decided I would definitely be willing to come back just because I had such a short time there.

Stapler – I was double rushed here again which kind of put me off because the girl I was with was very talkative. I felt like these girls were girls I would love to hang out with but didn’t quite get that from the conversation. But, I’d like to go back just to see if it would be better just one on one.

In the end I ranked them like this:
1. Scissors
2. Ruler
3. Pen
4. Glue
5. Stapler
6. Pencil
7. Eraser
I had already been told that since I came in on the second day it could be very difficult for me. I was told not to expect many houses back, but it only takes one! Another note is that I couldn’t decide between Pen and Glue for 3rd and 4th. I was still hung up on the party reputation for Pen but my Rho Chi advised me not to follow that and follow what I had actually seen that day. I admire her for that because she could have easily told me to put her sorority ahead.

Last edited by pnmin2010; 08-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

ahh i'm ready for the next day!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Day 3 - Philanthropy Day

Day 3 - Philanthropy Day

I was very stoked for another round of recruitment because I just found it so fun! I went to talk to my Rho Chi and get my schedule and she had a “you’re not going to be happy look on”. I got my schedule and was invited back to 3 out of a possible 4 and looking back that was really pretty lucky in and of its self. However, the three I got back were Glue, Stapler, and Eraser. My 4th, 5th, and 7th, choice. Wow was I upset. I had to try really hard to hold it together. I just remember thinking “why didn’t the chapters I loved not love me back” and “what did I do wrong?” My Rho Chi told me to trust the process (her mantra from day 1) and after talking to my best friend I realized that if these chapters didn’t want me, then I shouldn’t want them. I also thought that maybe Glue and Eraser really liked me if they asked me back after only seeing me for 15 minutes. Stapler and Eraser had reputations for inviting everyone back but Glue was one that a lot of people really liked so I was excited to go there and really wanted to try to get to know the girls at Stapler and Eraser better. So off I went!

Glue – I was excited to come back here to spend some more time at the house but I really didn’t know if I would end up liking the girls or not. I not just liked, but LOVED them!! From the first song (where they popped out of all the windows on the second floor which scared me half to death) to all of the conversations, it all was amazing. I was bumped a lot here which I really enjoyed because I got to talk to a wide variety of girls and have some really great conversations. I really felt like this could be my home and I hope beyond hope that I can come back the next day!

Eraser – I had also only spent a short time here the day before so I was interested to learn more about the girls. I was double rushed again and we had the same active the whole time. I felt incredibly awkward the whole time. The girl who was rushing me, who I’m sure was just shy, was just not very good with conversation. At one point she just said to us “sorry, I don’t really know what to talk about”. I just thought to myself, “Aren’t you supposed to be the one initiating conversation?” There were way too many awkward silences for me. In addition, I was pretty disappointed that I didn’t like the house because I loved their philanthropy! It is something I have worked with for 10+ years so I really would have loved to be a part of that aspect of their house.

Stapler – I was also double rushed here again which just kind of makes me feel awkward, especially since this time I was paired with an exceptionally talkative rushee (even though she was really nice). I could pick out a few girls that I would have loved to meet but I again talked to the same active the whole time. She was really nice but we didn’t get past any of the basic introductions which was a shame. I kept wanting to love this house because I felt like the girls in it seemed a lot like me but things just hadn’t clicked yet.

The next day was preference so we could visit up to two sororities. For me it was very easy to rank them:

1. Glue
2. Stapler
3. Eraser
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait for the rest of your story!! (:
Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Loving it!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

ahh i am so excited to hear more!! good luck to you! you'll end up in the right house! it sounds so trite and I know everyone says it, but I don't know a single girl who went through recruitment and after 2 weeks wasn't completely IN LOVE with their sorority!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnmin2010 View Post
Missing the first day posed a bit of a problem because on House Tour day you can only visit up to 6 houses. Luckily Panhellenic was able to make it so I could still visit all 7 houses. I was with a group of 3 other girls who had the same issue and everything was normal except that at two houses we had to cut our time in half. That meant only about 15 minutes (maybe a bit less). This happened at Glue and Eraser.

Scissors – I remember this day as being amazing as a whole because I loved all of the songs that each house did on our way in! It was such a unique experience that only comes from rush! I really loved these girls and was surprised to find in the house that the old student-body president from my high school (I was also in student council so I knew her fairly well, although she was 3 years older) was in this house. She had originally gone to school somewhere else so I was so surprised to see her. The girls were very nice and I loved their furniture and rooms inside their house! Definitely wanted to come back here!

Glue – I only had 15 minutes here so I was just taken on a quick house tour and so didn’t get to sit down and have a conversation with these girls. All I remember is talking to the active about our love for Harry Potter and I really liked that we weren’t just talking about the basic stuff. I definitely liked this girl, however, I just didn’t have much time in this house so I ranked them in the middle of the pack.

Ruler – One of these girls was in my calculus class and she always wore her letters which were so cute. She was also so nice so I was really looking forward to this house. The house was beautiful and their rooms were to die for! I had some good conversations, but in hindsight I probably seemed as if I was trying too hard. I really wanted to impress these girls and I really wanted to come back!

Pen – This was the house that my friend’s friend was in (the one I had talked to). She had told me they had a reputation of being the party sorority so I had kind of ruled them out, although I tried to have an open mind. I just remember loving the girls! They were so nice and I had great conversations with them. They didn’t seem to fit the party stereotype at all! I ranked them pretty high!

Pencil – They had a beautiful house and gorgeous girls. I had some good conversations although many were surprised at my major. I liked them a lot but just didn’t see myself here because they all just seemed to perfect for me and I didn’t think I could ever fit in here.

Eraser – This was my other house that I only had 15 minutes in. I was double-rushed which I quickly became not a fan of. I become very shy when there is another girl there. The girl who rushed me seemed pretty bubbly but I just didn’t get a good vibe here, but I decided I would definitely be willing to come back just because I had such a short time there.

Stapler – I was double rushed here again which kind of put me off because the girl I was with was very talkative. I felt like these girls were girls I would love to hang out with but didn’t quite get that from the conversation. But, I’d like to go back just to see if it would be better just one on one.

In the end I ranked them like this:
1. Scissors
2. Ruler
3. Pen
4. Glue
5. Stapler
6. Pencil
7. Eraser
I had already been told that since I came in on the second day it could be very difficult for me. I was told not to expect many houses back, but it only takes one! Another note is that I couldn’t decide between Pen and Glue for 3rd and 4th. I was still hung up on the party reputation for Pen but my Rho Chi advised me not to follow that and follow what I had actually seen that day. I admire her for that because she could have easily told me to put her sorority ahead.

Glue sounds exactly like Pi Phi...
Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 4 - preference

Day Four – Preference

I was completely thrilled when I got my schedule to find Eraser not on it and was so excited that I would have two choices, Glue and Stapler. I was very excited and couldn’t wait to see how this would go, I honestly had no idea what to expect!

I started off the night at Glue and was greeted by one of the girls that I had a great conversation with about travelling. I was then bumped by none other than the first person I ever met (on house tour day) who I spoke with about Harry Potter. I couldn’t believe she remembered me or remembered we had spoken (I had no idea about all the crazy behind the scenes shenanigans!). The ceremony was absolutely beautiful with lots of singing and girls talking about why they loved the house so much. They also had great desserts! I remember because I had just come from chem. Lab and didn’t have time to eat so I kind of stuffed my face! There is no other way to describe it that in my gut I knew this was it. There wasn’t anything else, this was just perfect. I felt wanted and loved and home. I was amazed.

I then went to Stapler still hoping that things would work out there. I was met with one of the girls I had recently talked with but was double rushed again. I HATE double rushing! I didn’t get the same personal touch as I had at Glue. They were again very nice and their ceremony beautiful. Maybe if I hadn’t been to Glue first I would have loved it. But, after seeing what it could have been I knew this wasn’t right. It just wasn’t “it”.

I went back to sign my bid card. I didn’t want to suicide as I had heard the horrors of that but I knew without a doubt Glue came first and that I would absolutely love a bid from them. At this point I started to realize actually how great it was to know that my Rho Chi was a member of Glue and not somewhere else. I think knowing made her words that much more personal and perfect. I am amazed at the job she did and I really have just thought about that as I was typing this. I didn’t realize until now how much she had done for me.

Anyways Bid Day is up next!!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

!!! Oh snap! I can't wait to find out what letters you'll be rocking on bid day!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

GLUE! GLUE! GLUE! GLUE! WHOOOO!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day!

I had asked my Rho Chi about a million times what would happen if I did not get a bid. I had imagined standing there with a bid card and finding it empty having to retreat while everyone else screamed with joy. THANKFULLY, she told me that she would call if I didn’t receive one. I didn’t receive the call.

I showed up and we waited and waited… Finally we went outside to find all of the groups with their letters cheering their little hearts out. The Rho Chi’s did their little reveal tricking us about a million times. It was so funny to see everyone’s reaction to whose ours was since I knew their guessing was all wrong (as it usually is!). Next, they handed us our envelopes that we had to keep behind our back. After a long anticipated pause we were allowed to open them! I ripped mine open very scared of what I would find. I turned and gave my Rho Chi a big hug and ran/jogged (even though I said I wouldn’t) over to:

Glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise known as:

CHI OMEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want to do a little follow up on this a year later! It turns out I was “the girl who I talked about Harry Potter with on the first day for only fifteen minutes’” rush crush. She is now my amazing big sis!! Who would have thought that a conversation like this would have helped me to get in to a sorority! I ended up really liking many of the older girls in my chapter as they do so much for our school and our community. The members of my pledge class seem/are very different from me, and thus I haven’t gotten to know them very well. But I move into the house in a few weeks and can’t wait to see how things go. I found this amazing quote from Greek (the tv show and one of my favorites). Cappie says to Rusty who feels out of the loop with his pledge brothers that “the beautiful thing about brotherhood is that it makes you bond with different people outside of your comfort zone”. I hope to see this come true and cannot wait to start my next year and start recruitment as a proud Chi Omega!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:11 PM

I liked this one.

Congratulations on Chi Omega!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

congrats on Chi Omega!