GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,506
0 members and 1,506 guests
No Members online

Old 05-28-2020, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

MJ Insurance put out diagrams and guidelines for bed placement for fall, including cold rooms and bunk beds, and what to do if you can and can't put beds 6 ft. apart. There's a lot of alternating heads and feet with residents in bunks and beds near each other.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Arkansas Panhellenic requiring a one minute video and a 200 word essay as part of your registration. https://uagreeks.uark.edu/panhelleni...l/recruitment/
(scroll down to points 8 & 9).
Old 05-30-2020, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Most PNM registration dates are set (and extended in some cases) and bama reached 1000 PNM's already.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 05-30-2020, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
MJ Insurance put out diagrams and guidelines for bed placement for fall, including cold rooms and bunk beds, and what to do if you can and can't put beds 6 ft. apart. There's a lot of alternating heads and feet with residents in bunks and beds near each other.
That’s what they do in the military. Head to feet sleeping.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Arkansas Panhellenic requiring a one minute video and a 200 word essay as part of your registration. https://uagreeks.uark.edu/panhelleni...l/recruitment/
(scroll down to points 8 & 9).
WOW!!! My daughter is an active chapter member at UArk & didn’t know about this....I think that definitely points to the first round (or two?) being virtual.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

well this is interesting. Arizona plans a fully virtual recruitment. I haven't read all the details.

Reaching out to my Arizona Panhellenic friends today *waving at zbxo*. No idea how housing will work; many of the Arizona sorority facilities have sleeping porches.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-31-2020, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

MJ insurance is recommending alternating head to toe on sleeping porches.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHomeStL View Post
WOW!!! My daughter is an active chapter member at UArk & didn’t know about this....I think that definitely points to the first round (or two?) being virtual.
Agreed, and it makes my head hurt thinking of parents actually thinking they should hire in hair, makeup, videographer, video editor, college essay editor, etc... to make this part of it perfect. I have already heard of people talking this way - it's going to be a mess and not at all what they are intending.

Last edited by shirley1929; 05-31-2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added last sentence.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Agreed, and it makes my head hurt thinking of parents actually thinking they should hire in hair, makeup, videographer, video editor, college essay editor, etc... to make this part of it perfect. I have already heard of people talking this way - it's going to be a mess and not at all what they are intending.
I have heard this too. I can't imagine how many girls will do all this hoping for the "bid of their dreams" and actually, so much at Arkansas is related to connections. And then after Bid Day, people will complain and freak out because they'll say the sororities pre-chose their pledge classes.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Auburn is also requiring a video to be sent in with the registration. They posted about it on their Instagram story last night.

Maybe though if there are no big upticks of infected people, hospitalizations, and deaths after all of the mass gatherings happening this weekend online won't be necessary. Just trying to be hopeful life will go back to normal sooner than we think.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Are the videos a trend that might have been coming anyway, with or without the virus? I have a friend who recently applied for a teaching job and instead of a cover letter, had to submit an introductory video.

It seems like even with a traditional recruitment, the videos would helpful. Every member doesn't get a chance to meet every PNM during the rounds.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Colorado, Boulder has announced "Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there will be no in-person recruitment and a fully structured recruitment will be hosted virtually."
https://www.colorado.edu/greeks/panhellenic-recruitment

According to IrishPipes thread, quota in 2018 was 116: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...r+listing+2020
Old 06-03-2020, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

From a friend with a daughter at Alabama. She saw this in a moms group a she belongs to and it was written by an advisor at one of the chapters. My friend is saying she is hearing that first two rounds could be virtual. Sisterhood and Pref would be in person and spread out over a few days. Bid day would also be done in person. I am not part of the group but she said she would update me.

"There is a vote in the recommendations later today. Your daughters will be notified of the plans by their leadership likely later today. The University and Panhellenic has spent countless hours doing their best to provide a way forward to provide a recruitment experience while prioritizing safety of our members, PNMs, and Advisors. There will be contingency plans should the situation change in the next few weeks. The most important thing your daughters (and the Moms and Alumnae) can do is be INCREDIBLY SUPPORTIVE of the decisions that are being made and of their individual sororities leaders, who are working tirelessly to change already carefully crafted plans to meet safety standards. None of us would have chosen this path, but I believe when you see what the proposal is, you will understand the reasons behind the decisions."
Old 06-04-2020, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Look for an announcement to be made today by UA Panhellenic. My friend shared the details with me but I don't want to share until all affected by this are made aware of changes.

Honestly it is not that bad of a plan and Alabama's panhellenic council and the chapters have really come up with a wonderful solution for such a time of uncertainty.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zTaalum View Post
From a friend with a daughter at Alabama. She saw this in a moms group a she belongs to and it was written by an advisor at one of the chapters. My friend is saying she is hearing that first two rounds could be virtual. Sisterhood and Pref would be in person and spread out over a few days. Bid day would also be done in person. I am not part of the group but she said she would update me.

"There is a vote in the recommendations later today. Your daughters will be notified of the plans by their leadership likely later today. The University and Panhellenic has spent countless hours doing their best to provide a way forward to provide a recruitment experience while prioritizing safety of our members, PNMs, and Advisors. There will be contingency plans should the situation change in the next few weeks. The most important thing your daughters (and the Moms and Alumnae) can do is be INCREDIBLY SUPPORTIVE of the decisions that are being made and of their individual sororities leaders, who are working tirelessly to change already carefully crafted plans to meet safety standards. None of us would have chosen this path, but I believe when you see what the proposal is, you will understand the reasons behind the decisions."
This is from the two Facebook groups that I administer. It's been wild. We tamped down speculations because the poor moms were absolutely freaking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zTaalum View Post
Look for an announcement to be made today by UA Panhellenic. My friend shared the details with me but I don't want to share until all affected by this are made aware of changes.
Honestly it is not that bad of a plan and Alabama's panhellenic council and the chapters have really come up with a wonderful solution for such a time of uncertainty.
I'm hearing virtual first rounds and possibly more. With tracking at 2,000 PNMs, I. Cannot. Imagine.
Then again, it may be the bees' knees!