GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,341
0 members and 2,341 guests
No Members online

Old 10-11-2005, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Princeton Sorority Recruitment Fall 2005

The three NPC sororities at Princeton took 104 women. Of the 150 who registered for recruitment, 23 dropped out and another 23 did not get bids or did not get bids to the sorority they wanted, according to the school paper. I don't know what quota was, or the exact number that each sorority took.

Article:

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/arc...ws/13419.shtml
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-11-2005, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

That's good to hear. I'm heading up to Princeton for family weekend (my cousin goes there) and I'd love to meet some of the new Pi Phis!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:39 PM

I read that article and I was shocked that the university sent letters to parents discouraging Greek life. Has Princeton ever recognized Greeks? When these groups came on campus, was the administration opposed to it? I just can't imagine how a GLO would go about colonization knowing that the university didn't want them there. Congratulations to those women for sticking it out and being successful.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow....talk about mixed messages.
good for those who played. may they be thrilled.
rather sad that princeton has such a small mind toward other things.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Their attitude is pretty typical of most Ivy League schools. Yale doesn't recognize Greek Life, either. Most Canadian universities don't, as well.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinTrax
Their attitude is pretty typical of most Ivy League schools. Yale doesn't recognize Greek Life, either. Most Canadian universities don't, as well.
Yeah, but most schools won't send letters home DISCOURAGING students from rushing. When Greek Life was banned at Princeton, dining clubs took over, and I guess the school's worried about the competition.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by irishpipes
I read that article and I was shocked that the university sent letters to parents discouraging Greek life. Has Princeton ever recognized Greeks? When these groups came on campus, was the administration opposed to it? I just can't imagine how a GLO would go about colonization knowing that the university didn't want them there. Congratulations to those women for sticking it out and being successful.
If I recall, last year when the university did this the sororities had their biggest pledge classes ever. They probably drew attention to the Greeks and people who wouldn't have known about them were made aware of their exisitence.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess the school's worried about the competition.
The school does not run the eating clubs or own the clubhouses, so there's no reason that it would be concerned about competition from GLOs. In fact, the university is decidedly lukewarm towards the eating clubs, especially the selective ones, and it probably wouldn't mind if a few more of them went under.

Harvard, Yale, and to a lesser extent Princeton all discourage GLOs both because they are single-sex and because they foster the economic and social segregation that the randomized House/College system is designed to counteract. Yes, people always seek out their own "kind" as friends, but these schools go to great lengths (and great expense) to fight that tendency by creating small residential communities that are microcosms of the university population. In my experience, these systems do a surprisingly good job of building friendships across racial, gender, socioeconomic, and cultural lines that are rarely crossed otherwise (including within the GLOs at these schools).

Greek life is thriving at hundreds of campuses across the country, so IMHO it's no big deal that a few private campuses believe that GLOs run contrary to the University's mission and try to keep them off campus. All schools cannot be all things to all people -- if you want an Ivy League Greek experience, you can go to Penn or Dartmouth or Cornell.