GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,035
0 members and 1,035 guests
No Members online

Old 03-16-2016, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I guarantee that if Trump is elected President, ISIS and many others will try to attack us repeatedly.
News flash, ISIS and many others are already trying to attack us repeatedly.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A lot of Democrats that plan to vote for HRC in November crossed the aisle today to make sure Trump wouldn't take the state. I know a lot of my friends did; even my 84 year old father said he would do anything to block a Trump vote. The hashtag I am seeing all over Facebook is #NotInMyState

I wish I could remember the exact statistic but the last time a Republican won the Presidency without taking Ohio in the Primary was in 19xx (xx = a very long time ago)
1968, at the beginning of the modern concept of primary elections. (Jim Rhodes, who was Governor of Ohio at the time, so equally a favorite son)

But the fact is that the universe of (Republican elected, but doesn't win the nomination in a 35+ state walk) is pretty small. (prior to the 1960s things were fairly different).
Old 03-18-2016, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

What about the Senate and House races? Is anyone keeping a close eye on any races?

I'm interested to see if Nevada switches to GOP with Harry Reid's retirement. I think the GOP will still control the Senate. I'm thinking Loretta Sanchez will be elected to Barbara Boxer's seat in California.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
What about the Senate and House races? Is anyone keeping a close eye on any races?

I'm interested to see if Nevada switches to GOP with Harry Reid's retirement. I think the GOP will still control the Senate. I'm thinking Loretta Sanchez will be elected to Barbara Boxer's seat in California.
I really hope Grassley from Iowa gets kicked to the curb. He's been a nightmare ever since the Clarence Thomas hearings. He sold out eons ago but Iowans are not big on change (in my entire lifetime there have been 4 governors - and I'm 50). So I'm hoping they suck it up and get him out of there this go round. I'd also like to see Roy Blunt of Missouri ousted but I personally despise the guy running against him so it's a choice between which sleazy gets it. But the new guy would at least be despicable on the left side of the aisle.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I think not acting at all on the new Supreme Court nominee is going to have repercussions down the ballot.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
I think not acting at all on the new Supreme Court nominee is going to have repercussions down the ballot.
I agree. also hearing there are subtle signs, that GOP-led Senate might consider President Obama's nominee in a lame-duck session.

I know Ohio's Rob Portman, already in a tough race, will feel more pressure. As the nominee gains broader exposure through media, GOP position to not hold hearings will become more untenable, IMO.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 03-18-2016, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
I agree. also hearing there are subtle signs, that GOP-led Senate might consider President Obama's nominee in a lame-duck session.

I know Ohio's Rob Portman, already in a tough race, will feel more pressure. As the nominee gains broader exposure through media, GOP position to not hold hearings will become more untenable, IMO.
The senator who said he'd vote for the guy when it's not President Obama doing the nominating really shot all of them in the foot because it makes it black and white that it's childish behavior. I mean, we all KNEW that, but to verbalize it really makes them sound like a collective group of 4 year olds.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post

I like Rob Portman. He isn't one of those GOP senators who goes off the rails when he doesn't get his way (i.e. McConnell). And he focuses a lot of his time on what's happening in his own state, like helping Amazon open a new fulfillment center there.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
The senator who said he'd vote for the guy when it's not President Obama doing the nominating really shot all of them in the foot because it makes it black and white that it's childish behavior. I mean, we all KNEW that, but to verbalize it really makes them sound like a collective group of 4 year olds.
I get the feeling there were always more collaborators in the GOP than that particular senator thought.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I will vote when it comes right down to it, but right now I don't really care for anyone who is running.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in Maryland...
I'm a Dem, my wife is Independent. Our comment about Presidential elections is that if the Vote in the Nation is close, it isn't in Maryland and if it is close in Maryland it isn't nationally....
Old 03-19-2016, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand why people are protesting Trump's rallies, but I don't agree in preventing people from going to them. If that's how folks want to spend 2 or 3 hours of their time, let them. He's likely going to win Arizona anyway, so it's not like it's effectively going to stop people from voting for him.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Ask any school teacher in Ohio about their love for Kasich and you are guaranteed to be killed. I didn't vote for him for governor and I sure as hell won't vote for him to be our next POTUS. Is he the best of the worst? ....Yes!

Looks like the GOP has a real problem on their hands.
Or any parent with children in the Ohio public schools during the same time. I could never in good conscience vote for him.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

If I decide to vote, and it wouldn't feel right if I don't, then I'll be voting against a candidate and not for a candidate.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Don't forget, too, that Congressional and state/local races are likely FAR, FAR more important than the presidential race.

Sit out the presidential if you must, but please don't sit out the election. Though remember, those who do vote then have the say, and as George Carlin put it 'Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.'