GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,743
0 members and 1,743 guests
No Members online

Old 02-14-2017, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy New member freaking out!

Hello,
I just joined this forum and I am currently freaking out. Pls try to help me
So here's my story

I went through informal spring recruitment at my school for a specific sorority.
I ended up getting a bid through the phone.
However, my GPA is lower than the minimum required GPA for this sorority and the recruitment chair was aware of this before giving me my bid since I filled out a form before one of the events stating my GPA.

The next few weeks are pledge weeks. Can my bid still be taken away due to my GPA?? Is that fair? What are the chances? I am now a second semester freshman and my GPA has definitely improved since last semester

Thanks
Old 02-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

NPC, Multi, NPHC, or local?
Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

It's NPC
Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you think that you could have this conversation with the leadership/advisors in your sorority? I encourage you to do that. Take a deep breath and try not to freak out.

First point: your GPA can't have improved yet - because the semester has just started. I think you are saying that you're doing better so far, right?

OK, here is what you need to know: a pledge can be terminated for any of a number of reasons. That is "fair". It is a private membership organization, membership is voluntary, and each organization has its own rules regarding membership. So "fair" is not really something that comes into play.

Now, it's not unheard of to offer a bid to a "grade risk" (which is what you are). Think positive! Focus on your academics and on enjoying your new member period. I hope this helps you in some way. I'm excited for you, because you are embarking on a lifetime membership experience.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you.. I talked to a few of the girls and they said not to worry. One of them said her first semester was spent on probation since she came in as a grade risk too and then improved. However, that was during fall recruitment and I'm involved in spring informal. Also, the recruitment chair is aware that my GPA is below the standard but has not really said anything about it... which is why i'm worried... I don't want to get thrown out at the last minute.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

ThNks AZTheta for explaining grade risks, and how chapters sometimes go out on a limb and pledge someone who would be considered a grade risk. OP, it might also be that while you fall under the limit of the chapter, you meet the national grade requirements. Speak to your chapter leadership to put your mind at ease, and work your tail off to get the best grades you can this semester. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2017, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

To add to what's been said above, when you do talk to your chapter leadership, be eager to improve. Ask if they hold sister study hours, ask about academic scholarships offered and how your goal is to earn one, talk about your plans for better time management, and see if you can be paired with a buddy (whether it be a fellow chapter sister or an advisor) who can hold you accountable and ensure that you're on the right track for success.

Don't just go in with, "Pretty please let me stay!" ... or something to that effect

And you also need to be aware that while chapters will make exceptions for grade risks, you are expected to improve. If you're consistently falling below the minimum, the chapter can put you on probation and your membership may be terminated, even after you're initiated.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-21-2017, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamarie3112 View Post
Hello,
I just joined this forum and I am currently freaking out. Pls try to help me
So here's my story

I went through informal spring recruitment at my school for a specific sorority.
I ended up getting a bid through the phone.
However, my GPA is lower than the minimum required GPA for this sorority and the recruitment chair was aware of this before giving me my bid since I filled out a form before one of the events stating my GPA.

The next few weeks are pledge weeks. Can my bid still be taken away due to my GPA?? Is that fair? What are the chances? I am now a second semester freshman and my GPA has definitely improved since last semester

Thanks
QFP