GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 311,199
Threads: 115,190
Posts: 2,163,829
Welcome to our newest member, sschreimanmarcu
» Online Users: 404
1 members and 403 guests
navane
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2005, 01:13 PM
glamourgirl409 glamourgirl409 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Dirty Dirty
Posts: 10
What is a Sorority Girl?

Good Morning Ladies

I am a young lady who doesnt have any affilation with any greek organizations but I have been thinking that I will look at the benefits of joining such an organization. At school I am actively involved with my Student Government Asociation, my Residence Hall Association and I have served on the board of the Community Action Network which puts together the camous wide community service events that the school does twice a year... My GPA is above average And I have always tried to go and support any event that a greek org does.

I guess what I wanna know is there a certain type of woman or girl that makes up a sorority girl? Can any Tammy, Diane and Harriet off the street become a sorority girl? I know that for every org some peceptions may be different... (which is why I am asking this question of every NPHC org that is at my school)...

If there is a better way for me to ask this kinda of question than on a message board, please let me know...


Thank You for your time

Chanel...
  #2  
Old 12-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Bamboozled Bamboozled is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Across the tracks
Posts: 683
"Good Weed, Good Drank, Big Money Man... Rolling in something foreign on leather grippin grain; I handlemy bidness so I think I deserve to get throwed..."


  #3  
Old 12-30-2005, 02:21 PM
btb87 btb87 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Seemingly in perpetual registration
Posts: 2,112
Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
Quote:
Originally posted by Bamboozled
"Good Weed, Good Drank, Big Money Man... Rolling in something foreign on leather grippin grain; I handlemy bidness so I think I deserve to get throwed..."


Soror, I was thinking the same thing. . .

Ugh.

Chanel, you said something in your post about perceptions - funny you would mention that. If you notice the reaction that my Soror and I had to your signature, then you know that perceptions are very important.

I hope someone can give you some deeper insight in regards to your question.
__________________
Just a little too lazy to come up with a siggie right now.
  #4  
Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 PM
FeeFee FeeFee is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,229
Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:
Originally posted by Bamboozled
"Good Weed, Good Drank, Big Money Man... Rolling in something foreign on leather grippin grain; I handlemy bidness so I think I deserve to get throwed..."




Chanel, you seem to have a lot of good things going on for you. Please change your signature.
__________________
1908 - 2008
A VERY SERIOUS MATTER.
  #5  
Old 12-30-2005, 02:30 PM
soulfulremix soulfulremix is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pretty In the City
Posts: 506
Chanel,

As humans, we are very complex beings. Although I am continuously striving toward social and political awareness, I still have fun, party, etc. Like me, you are active on your campus, but you enjoy the music of UGK. If some people were to judge you solely on the lyrics in your sig, they may look at you differently than they would from knowing about your extra-curricular activities. I've said all this to say, you should seek out sorority membership in an organization which you believes best fits with the complete "you"; not just the UGK-loving "you", but the RA "you" as well.

Sorority women do not exist on a monolith. To ask the question about types of sorority women is the same as asking about types of Black people, or types of brunettes. Sorority membership does not create a mold for womenhood. Therefore, you must realize that there are many facets of the sorority woman.

In every NPHC sorority, there are a great variety of women. We are alike in many ways, but it is our differences especially that add to the beauty of sisterhood.
__________________
"I find, in being black, a thing of beauty: a joy; a strength; a secret cup of gladness." - Ossie Davis

AKA
  #6  
Old 12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
glamourgirl409 glamourgirl409 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Dirty Dirty
Posts: 10
Oh wow... didnt think my old siggy would get such reactions... I am from the land of UGK so of course Bun B's CD is on rotation in my car right now...
  #7  
Old 12-30-2005, 05:26 PM
SummerChild SummerChild is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Posts: 1,518
Re: What is a Sorority Girl?

Glamourgirl409,

I like to think of myself and my sorors as women, not girls.
To answer your question, of course every Harriet or Jane can not be an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman. If you want to know what kind of woman makes an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman, just look at my sorors on your campus and in your community. GET TO KNOW THEM and you will find out who we are. If there is a match, Alpha Kappa Alpha will choose you (so to speak). You will not have to worry about whether you are right for Alpha Kappa Alpha.

I know that that answer is probably not what you were looking for but I think it's really the truest answer. Just be yourself and my sorors will see something in you if you are Alpha Kappa Alpha material.

Congrats on your academic success and your activism!!
SC

Quote:
Originally posted by glamourgirl409
Good Morning Ladies

I am a young lady who doesnt have any affilation with any greek organizations but I have been thinking that I will look at the benefits of joining such an organization. At school I am actively involved with my Student Government Asociation, my Residence Hall Association and I have served on the board of the Community Action Network which puts together the camous wide community service events that the school does twice a year... My GPA is above average And I have always tried to go and support any event that a greek org does.

I guess what I wanna know is there a certain type of woman or girl that makes up a sorority girl? Can any Tammy, Diane and Harriet off the street become a sorority girl? I know that for every org some peceptions may be different... (which is why I am asking this question of every NPHC org that is at my school)...

If there is a better way for me to ask this kinda of question than on a message board, please let me know...


Thank You for your time

Chanel...
__________________
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated
Capturing a vision fair ... 100 years and counting
GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
  #8  
Old 12-30-2005, 07:04 PM
RedefinedDiva RedefinedDiva is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: ATL/NOLA
Posts: 4,756
Re: Re: What is a Sorority Girl?

Quote:
Originally posted by SummerChild
Glamourgirl409,

I like to think of myself and my sorors as women, not girls.
To answer your question, of course every Harriet or Jane can not be an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman. If you want to know what kind of woman makes an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman, just look at my sorors on your campus and in your community. GET TO KNOW THEM and you will find out who we are. If there is a match, Alpha Kappa Alpha will choose you (so to speak). You will not have to worry about whether you are right for Alpha Kappa Alpha.

I know that that answer is probably not what you were looking for but I think it's really the truest answer. Just be yourself and my sorors will see something in you if you are Alpha Kappa Alpha material.
Excellent response, Soror!! ....But what else could I expect from an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.