GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,348
2 members and 2,346 guests
Cookiez17, flamboyanttree

Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Too old to join

That is a question that I have been struggling with also. I have decided to go back to school to obtain my bachelors as well as become a memeber of a sorority. Me being almost "30" and a mother of two. I feel that maybe I am too old to join. What do you think?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM

I'm assuming your kids are in the under 12 range....call me crazy, but I don't think they would cotton to you blowing off their soccer games or helping them with homework to go to a sorority meeting.

And you are going back to school for your bachelor's degree, period...anyone who goes back to school to join a sorority does not have their priorities straight.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriQ View Post
That is a question that I have been struggling with also. I have decided to go back to school to obtain my bachelors as well as become a memeber of a sorority. Me being almost "30" and a mother of two. I feel that maybe I am too old to join. What do you think?
If it's an NPC sorority you want to join, YES. You are too old.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure that it varies by school but does Panhel require birthdates when registering for recruitment or distribute a PMNs age with the information to give to chapters? At the chapter I advise, I do not remember seeing anything but maybe the PMN's academic year with GPA. My point is this, if you do not look old or act old, who is really going to know your age unless you tell them ahead of time. I wouldn't recommend hiding it if asked but why publicize it if you are worried about it being a factor?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe our university requires year of birth. This is so that PNMs who are under 18 obtain parental consent.
Yes, there are such things as 17 year old freshmen. I was one of them. My birthdate fell funny and was always one of the youngest in my class.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
I believe our university requires year of birth. This is so that PNMs who are under 18 obtain parental consent.
Yes, there are such things as 17 year old freshmen. I was one of them. My birthdate fell funny and was always one of the youngest in my class.
How curious! I know that it is not uncommon for those under 18 to attend college (my best friend turned 18 the summer before her sophomene year!) but do you know if birthdate information is distributed to each of the chapters during recruitment or if parental consent is a requirement when joining other (non-Greek) campus organizations?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

If the university and GLO do not have formal minimum and maximum age limits, it will be based on an informal, case-by-case basis. We can't tell you if you're too old other than to say what the age norms are in particular organizations and at particular institutions.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I am unaware if it was distributed to other college groups. I do know that on the actual applications, it listed the full birthdate including year. I don't know if this is campus specific, ICS specific, or if there is something actually written in the big green book about this (green book gurus - can you speak about this?)

I can say that when I was the recruitment chair for my org about 10 yrs ago, we had a girl go through recruitment who was 16 (she had skipped a few grades) and I know that our panhellenic provided copies of her parents signing off that she was elligible to rush.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
I am unaware if it was distributed to other college groups. I do know that on the actual applications, it listed the full birthdate including year. I don't know if this is campus specific, ICS specific, or if there is something actually written in the big green book about this (green book gurus - can you speak about this?)

I can say that when I was the recruitment chair for my org about 10 yrs ago, we had a girl go through recruitment who was 16 (she had skipped a few grades) and I know that our panhellenic provided copies of her parents signing off that she was elligible to rush.
Very interesting but I suspect that it varies based on campus/state/etc.?

I just went to the registration site for our campus and it doesn't request anything other than contact information, year in school, GPA, transfer information, legacy information and t-shirt size (oh so important to Greek life ). Perhaps the University is then responsible for making sure that all registered PNMs are either legal or have consent - I do not know. Only the information collected during registration is distributed to each chapter (in which case, going back to the original post, members on my campus wouldn't necessarily know a PNM's age during recruitment).

If someone knows of an official Panhel policy regarding parental consent for minors, I would be interested in learning what it is.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Banned

"I'm assuming your kids are in the under 12 range....call me crazy, but I don't think they would cotton to you blowing off their soccer games or helping them with homework to go to a sorority meeting.

And you are going back to school for your bachelor's degree, period...anyone who goes back to school to join a sorority does not have their priorities straight."

Quoted from 33girl

Darlin', you have missed the point entirely. Would you have told her to forget going to school in the first place? I mean, perhaps she should be home, barefoot in the kitchen. She has already decided to go to school, which means she has managed her time with the kids' extracurriculars etc. I can't believe your snobbish remarks.

Tell you what, why don't you go back 40 years and go to school to do what women were "supposed" to do...nursing and teaching. That was it.

Also, joining a sorority allows for a social network that later translates in to professional networking after college. This is an advantage to anyone involved, especially someone who may have been out of the work force for a number of years while raising her children.

Go comb your hair and drink a beer. Leave the education to the mature ones who really DO have their priority straight.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Banned

MORI...

There are sooo many groups to join on a campus. If a social network with people over the 4 foot height (versus lovely rug-rats at home) is something you are looking for, then hit up your University or College Student Body Building and check out all the groups. Getting involved is crucial in developing and maintaining contacts that will only help you in the future when it comes to the work force, internships, counseling...etc...

Good luck, have fun, be patient, and be persistent.

Chemcat
Old 08-13-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemcat View Post
"I'm assuming your kids are in the under 12 range....call me crazy, but I don't think they would cotton to you blowing off their soccer games or helping them with homework to go to a sorority meeting.

And you are going back to school for your bachelor's degree, period...anyone who goes back to school to join a sorority does not have their priorities straight."

Quoted from 33girl

Darlin', you have missed the point entirely. Would you have told her to forget going to school in the first place? I mean, perhaps she should be home, barefoot in the kitchen. She has already decided to go to school, which means she has managed her time with the kids' extracurriculars etc. I can't believe your snobbish remarks.

Tell you what, why don't you go back 40 years and go to school to do what women were "supposed" to do...nursing and teaching. That was it.

Also, joining a sorority allows for a social network that later translates in to professional networking after college. This is an advantage to anyone involved, especially someone who may have been out of the work force for a number of years while raising her children.

Go comb your hair and drink a beer. Leave the education to the mature ones who really DO have their priority straight.
Mature? I'm 40 years old, you jackass. I don't know what the hair and beer remark are supposed to mean.

If you really think the majority of women going through rush are thinking "holy cow, I need to find the sorority with all the premed majors so I can get a job at a hospital later" you're sorely mistaken. Women - young OR old - join a sorority because they like the members in it. Those who join solely for "professional networking" purposes get very little sisterhood out of it. That's what professional Greek orgs are for. If she wants to "network" she'd be better off joining these groups than a sorority.

Because you obviously didn't read the original post, here is the quote (bolded emphasis mine):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriQ View Post
She's the one who said she was going back to college to join a sorority, not me. The way she worded it, it sounds like one of her two primary objectives.

If she's at a school that is largely commuter and returning students, then yes, it might work, but the point is - she is going to HAVE to be certain places at certain times for sorority activities and "Joey has a soccer game" won't cut it as an excuse. Sorry. If she has 2 small babies or toddlers, that's one thing, but older kids who want you to be there for certain events is another.

ETA: Who else thinks it's funny as hell when n00bs come on here and get on me of all people like I just posted all the SEC tiers or something?

Last edited by 33girl; 08-13-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
ETA: Who else thinks it's funny as hell when n00bs come on here and get on me of all people like I just posted all the SEC tiers or something?
*raises hand*

Although my first reaction was, "hmmm, wonder who Chemcat is a sockpuppet for..."
Old 08-13-2008, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Me! It is espeically funny when it is their first post.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
*raises hand*

Although my first reaction was, "hmmm, wonder who Chemcat is a sockpuppet for..."
That's what I thought too.