GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,477
4 members and 2,473 guests
Cookiez17, oncegreek

Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 06pilot
prominent brothers

While I was researching prominent Alphamen I kept comming upon the same list from the 80's and 90's.

Surley there have been some brothers that done significant things since then. Will this list ever be updated?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-24-2007, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I am pretty sure they will, but I guess it depends on who they feel would be considered a prominent Alphamen and the webmaster. I have found a updated list on chapter websites and wikipedia (of all places). Actually there is a section on the Wikipedia Alpha page that is very current with prominent Alphas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Alpha_brothers

Last edited by Phrozen1ne; 12-24-2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 12-24-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06pilot View Post
While I was researching prominent Alphamen I kept comming upon the same list from the 80's and 90's.

Surley there have been some brothers that done significant things since then. Will this list ever be updated?
Everything is political....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen1ne View Post
I am pretty sure they will, but I guess it depends on who they feel would be considered a prominent Alphamen and the webmaster. I have found a updated list on chapter websites and wikipedia (of all places). Actually there is a section on the Wikipedia Alpha page that is very current with prominent Alphas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Alpha_brothers

That list is probably one of the most accurate. It actually references my chapter's website, which is quite flattering. Soon after I crossed, I noticed the same thing as the OP, so I took it upon myself to create an updated notable Alpha list. Right now, that list is located here: http://www.mulambda.org/page.php?par...&page_id=15979

But it's not finished. I plan on putting short bios on the page little by little.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Ididnt know Randall Pinkett from the Apprentice was Frat. That's probably the only reality show I can digest. But to be honest, I didnt really like him very much. But thats just from I saw on TV.

Also, being I am a military guy, I noticed they left out Brother Wesley Borwn, the first African American to graduate from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

He is listed in wikipedia. I would like to find more sources verifying his membership before I add him to my chapter's website. If you have any, please feel free to let me know.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry to crash your board, but I had no idea Marion Barry is an Alpha

ZΦB
Old 01-07-2008, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Yep. He sure is.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that the "entertainment" fields of prominent brothers will be updated in the near future. After speaking with President Mason a while back, I am currently conducting research to update the list of brothers involved in entertainment. So far, most of what I have found is in the area of sports and I have been adding names on wikipedia.org. Any new info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Welcome. Who are you?

And I don't understand why E. Lynn Harris is not on the wikipedia page. I KNOW he was there before.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

@ Senusret I, I don't know why E. Lynn Harris is not on Wikipedia anymore. Anyone can post and edit on Wikipedia so it is likely that someone removed his name. That has happened with several names on the list of prominent brothers.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

ALPHAS IN ATHLETICS

Alpha Phi Alpha has many accomplished members in it's ranks. Here is a list that focuses on a few of it's athletic members:

Alphas that are or have been in the NFL: Fritz Pollard, Paul Robeson, Carl Eller, Bill Munsey, Wally Triplett, Melvin Farr Jr., Michael Farr, Bobby Jackson (?), Greg Coleman, Bobby Bell, Ron Johnson, Billy Taylor, Gordon Bell, Eric Wright, Lemuel Stinson, Wes Chandler, Reggie Williams, Mike Merriweather, Jethro Pugh, Rosie Greer, Brig Owens, Woodrow Strode, Kenny Washington, Sandy Stephens, Demetrious Johnson, Kevin Potter, Charles Haley, Mike Jackson, Carnell Lake, Trizzell Jenkins, Gene Upshaw, Art Shell, Darius Holland, Ken Riley, Chris Doleman, Adrian Murrell, Derrick Gaffney, Samuel Green, Dhani Jones, Sean Woodson, Quincy Coleman, John Thortnon, Dialleo Burks, Ronald Moore, Marco Coleman, Michael Pittman, Roman Oben, Darryl Henley, Steve Jordan, Barrett Green, Michael Clayton, Vincent Newsome, Mark Lee, Nesby Glasgow, Mark Stewart, Jason G. Wright, Marcus Pollard, Henry Lawrence, Max Starks, Donald Driver, Charles Fisher, Barry Foster, Claudius Wright, Charles Mann (?), Olaniyi Sobomehin, LeMarcus Newman, Tyrell Johnson, and many more.

Alphas that are or have been in the NBA: Todd Daye, Chris Mills, John "Hot Rod" Williams, Don Barksdale, Bobby Phills, Lenny Wilkens, Lou Gossett Jr.(?), Quinn Buckner, Walt Frazier (?), Jim McMillen, Wayne Embry, Wes Unseld, Walt Belamy, Nate "Tiny" Archibald, Ulysses L. (Junior) Bridgeman, and many more.

Alphas that are or have been in Olympic/Proffessional Track: Jessie Owens, Eddie Tolan, Jimmy Herbert, Chris Huffins, Godfrey Murray, Mike Powell, Larry Wade, Sayon Cooper, Dave Albritton, George V. Rhodes, James Butts, John Woodruff, Ralph Harold Metcalfe, Augustine Schmader, Kevin Young, Jayson Jones, and many more

Alphas in other areas of sports: John O. Brown (B-Ball coach Dillard U.), Eddie Robinson (football coach/Grambling U), Stuart Scott (ESPN), Stan Verrett (ESPN), Jay Harris (ESPN), Leroy Humphries (prof. boxer), William Hamilton (prof. golfer), Rhodney Donaldson (Major Leagues baseball), James Robinson (Negro Leagues), Sandy Stephens (First Black All-American Q-Back), Donald Gaffney (First Black quarterback for the University of Florida Gators), Julius Franks (first African American All American football player at the University of Michigan), Willis Ward (3 time All American Track Star and 2nd African-American All American football player for University of Michigan and University of Michigan Hall of Famer), Clyde Fletcher (Basketball player with Arkansas Razorbacks 1990 Final 4 Team), Gerald Harris (Mixed Martial Arts fighter), Ron Humphrey (Mixed Martial Arts fighter)

Last edited by PlayboyMixx06; 05-31-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayboyMixx06 View Post
ALPHAS IN ATHLETICS

Alphas that are or have been in the NFL: Fritz Pollard, Paul Robeson, Carl Eller, Bill Munsey, Wally Triplett, Melvin Farr Jr., Michael Farr, Bobby Jackson (?), Greg Coleman, Bobby Bell, Ron Johnson, Billy Taylor, Gordon Bell, Eric Wright, Lemuel Stinson, Wes Chandler, Reggie Williams, Mike Merriweather, Jethro Pugh, Rosie Greer, Brig Owens, Woodrow Strode, Kenny Washington, Sandy Stephens, Demetrious Johnson, Kevin Potter, Charles Haley, Mike Jackson, Carnell Lake, Trizzell Jenkins, Gene Upshaw, Art Shell, Darius Holland, Ken Riley, Chris Doleman, Adrian Murrell, Derrick Gaffney, Samuel Green, Dhani Jones, Sean Woodson, Quincy Coleman, John Thortnon, Dialleo Burks, Ronald Moore, Marco Coleman, Michael Pittman, Roman Oben, Darryl Henley, Steve Jordan, Barrett Green, Michael Clayton, Vincent Newsome, Mark Lee, Nesby Glasgow, Mark Stewart, Jason G. Wright, Marcus Pollard, Henry Lawrence, Max Starks, Donald Driver, Charles Fisher, Barry Foster, Claudius Wright, Charles Mann (?), Olaniyi Sobomehin, LeMarcus Newman, Tyrell Johnson, and many more.
Wow, I had no idea the bolded were Alphas, especially Carl and Greg. *waving at PlayboyMixx from SIUE*
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 06-01-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to need some sources on those....
Old 06-01-2009, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Wow, I had no idea the bolded were Alphas, especially Carl and Greg. *waving at PlayboyMixx from SIUE*
What's up LadyGreek!?! I see that SIU is in the house! lol Yeah, a lot of people didn't know about Carl Eller being an Alpha. You would have thought that he would be all over the national website since he is in the Hall of Fame. That's what this list is for though. Carl Eller's line brothers were professional football players too. He pledged along side Bobby Bell (NFL Hall of Fame), Sandy Stephens (NFL player and first Black All American quarterback), and Bill Munsey (NFL & CFL). They pledged in the Spring of 1961 at Mu Chapter.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayboyMixx06 View Post
What's up LadyGreek!?! I see that SIU is in the house! lol Yeah, a lot of people didn't know about Carl Eller being an Alpha. You would have thought that he would be all over the national website since he is in the Hall of Fame. That's what this list is for though. Carl Eller's line brothers were professional football players too. He pledged along side Bobby Bell (NFL Hall of Fame), Sandy Stephens (NFL player and first Black All American quarterback), and Bill Munsey (NFL & CFL). They pledged in the Spring of 1961 at Mu Chapter.
I see that on the Mu website. What was with the different line dates, or is that confidential info? I also know Jim Beard.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!