GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,484
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zahaleycahsoz48
» Online Users: 2,236
1 members and 2,235 guests
fmanning

Old 02-17-2008, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Recommendations-how early?

How early should you start getting recommendations for Fall recruitment?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-17-2008, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

ASAP. If you're a Sr in highschool, now is a good time to start looking. Make up a resume, and figure out who you're going to ask to send them. Get them everything they need (address where they need to send them, all of your personal info they need, and it probably wouldn't hurt if the sororties have their rec forms on the website to print one out and give it to them as well - whatever you can do to make their job easier). Remember, they're probably very busy women, and the more lead time you can give them, the better.

And don't forget the thank you cards.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, thank you! I have begun emailing some women asking for reccomendations, and one replied and said that it was far too early and that I should wait until June, so I wasnt sure!!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarplum7 View Post
Ok, thank you! I have begun emailing some women asking for reccomendations, and one replied and said that it was far too early and that I should wait until June.
You may get that response, and I think that's fine. She now knows to be expecting your Rec request, and she'll know to make time to prepare it. And it is probably too early for the writers to mail them to the chapters, but, like I said, it doesn't hurt to get everyone picked out and aware that the request is coming.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems to me that some of the SEC campuses and chapters wanted the recs by mid-July, if I remember correctly, so June may be about right. But depending on when school gets out and if you are asking teachers for recs, you may want to do it earlier or make sure you have summer contact information for them, if only a home address.

I would think that a young women could work on lining up at least on rec per chapter on her campus now, getting her photos and information sheets ready, so that come June, she'd have everything ready to go.

Now would also be a great time to start looking for local alumnae panhellenic information sessions to attend. These, I would think, are more likely to occur in the spring, and it wouldn't hurt to have your photos and information sheets and everything you need to fill out your recruitment applications ready before you go to the session. I doubt it's required, and you may even want to make changes based on what you learn at the session, but some advanced preparation couldn't hurt.

(Start figuring out where you are actually a legacy (versus having cousins or aunts in groups) and decide you want to do about legacy status, list or not list, etc. I'd also recommend getting in touch with girls in the classes ahead of yours in high school who know and like you to let them you are going through. They'd also be great resources for what really to expect* although try to avoid asking a bunch questions that might result in prejudging the groups, only because it might reduce your enjoyment and satisfaction later.)

*One girls I wrote a rec for a few years ago was a little freaked out when she experienced the whole banging on doors and cheering that lead into some parties. And think about how weird door and window stacking might seem to someone who wasn't expecting it. I think it contributed to her thinking, "this deal is not for me," when it's purely recruitment-related weirdness and not really representative on the overall experience.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that it is fine to start looking for rec possibilities and making initial contact with those alums to let them know you will be going through rush in the fall.

But it is too early to send them your info, etc. First, you will want to give them your most complete and final resume possible - with end of the year honors, etc listed. Second, the chapters definitely do not want them yet.

I really like the idea posted about downloading rec forms to include with your resume,etc. Also, I am sure it has been suggested elsewhere, but I like to get an addressed, stamped envelope (I like the large, legal size to mail the rec flat, unfolded) ready to go in my info from pnm's as well.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I agree that it is fine to start looking for rec possibilities and making initial contact with those alums to let them know you will be going through rush in the fall.

But it is too early to send them your info, etc. First, you will want to give them your most complete and final resume possible - with end of the year honors, etc listed. Second, the chapters definitely do not want them yet.

I really like the idea posted about downloading rec forms to include with your resume,etc. Also, I am sure it has been suggested elsewhere, but I like to get an addressed, stamped envelope (I like the large, legal size to mail the rec flat, unfolded) ready to go in my info from pnm's as well.
Can they actually get the rec forms?

I don't like the idea of that too much myself, not that I'd be upset with the girl if she game me one, just that it seems that they should be forms internal to the organization.

I think an addressed and stamped envelope, maybe with a note on a post it on the information sheet reminding the rec writer what campus it is and who the posted contact person is would be great.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that now is the time to be investigating/making contacts with alums from a variety of GLO's. This gives them plenty of opportunity to get to know you so they feel comfortable in writing a rec on your behalf. As for when they should be dropped in the mail to the respective GLO, I'd say not before the end of the school year. So around late May would be the earliest.

(A personal request from an advisor) Please don't wait until right before Recruitment unless there is no other choice. The more Recs we can process earlier in the summer before the craziness of last minute prep and workshop starts, the easier it is on us.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Can they actually get the rec forms?
For many groups, rec forms are on a password protected area of the website. Nonmembers do not have access to them.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 PM

I agree with everyone else, START NOW. The closer it gets to recruitment, the harder it will be to get them. This is particularly true if you're in an area where sorority alumnae get lots of requests for recs.

ETA: Non members do not have access to our rec form either.

Lakers Nation.