GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,933
0 members and 1,933 guests
No Members online

Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Competitive? Or a Different Term?

Another Greek posed a question to me yesterday and I wasn't sure how to answer her! She said that her daughter will be rushing at a medium-sized school in the South that people wouldn't call "competitive" at first. She said, though, that the truth about the school is that most girls want one of 3 sororities out of the total number and they drop out of recruitment if they're cut from all 3.

So no, you wouldn't call them competitive if you saw total or you knew that it's not hard to get into a sorority on this campus. However, it's well known in the area that it's really hard to get into one of those 3 desired groups there.

What do you think, GC? Is this campus competitive or not? Can anyone think of a term for it?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 PM

^^^I don't know if I'd consider that competitive. I mean, don't MOST schools have 2 or 3 chapters that PNMs tend to want and will drop out if none of those show up on their lists? Mine did, and I'm not even in the South.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

This one has a bunch of other chapters. I've really never heard of a campus like this. See, at most competitive campuses I know of, there are some chapters that are often considered "more desirable" than others but in this day and age, you don't get mass dropouts from hugehuge numbers because so many girls consider themselves lucky to get a bid anywhere. At this school, no. If they don't get one of those 3 groups, bye.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I brought this up in another thread, in that I don't think there are ANY schools (save IU) where it is actually difficult to get A bid. Even the big southern schools place most of the women who enter rush, and many, many schools have at least one group doing COB after formal recruitment. That's not to say that the weaker groups take anyone, but women who don't shine during recruitment but meet the qualifications for membership (I mean kinda the plain jane type or shy or whatever, but grades and such are still good) generally get bids to a sorority.

A campus like the one carnation describes could be called "strongly-tiered" or something. I don't know what campus, but if those three groups are offering a significantly different sorority experience from the others (for example, three have houses and the others have dorm floors or something), it's hard to pretend that the quota/total system can make everyone happy.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Selective?

I feel like at many campuses there are "more desirable" chapters, but the other chapters aren't that different. After being cut from those chapters, PNMs realize that there is no (or little) difference. What sets these three chapters apart from the rest? Do the rest really struggle with numbers?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, they do struggle but I can't figure out why. After second party cuts, big numbers drop out if they don't get one of "the 3".
Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 PM

^^^Is the sorority experience at that school drastically different in some way if you join one of the 3 as opposed to not?

I find that at most schools, the sorority experience is pretty identical at all chapters, which is why I can't understand how PNMs tier them so much. You're not getting anything different than what any other group is getting.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'd think that the sisterhood experience itself would be the same but my informant says that the bigger 3 are perceived to be the coolest, guys want to date one of them, they win most of the campus titles, etc. The other groups have high dropout rates.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
This one has a bunch of other chapters. I've really never heard of a campus like this. See, at most competitive campuses I know of, there are some chapters that are often considered "more desirable" than others but in this day and age, you don't get mass dropouts from hugehuge numbers because so many girls consider themselves lucky to get a bid anywhere. At this school, no. If they don't get one of those 3 groups, bye.
Even before you posted this passage, I was going to make a point along the lines of the way the tier structure descends. Based on only my GC-related understanding of SEC Greek systems, it seems like a lot of the most competitive SEC schools have many chapters that are considered very strong, with only one or two chapters considered weak (if that).

This is pure speculation here, but I'm betting that if there's more parity RRS-wise, then the cuts to PNMs become a little more random. And when you see a friend get released by a chapter she loves, but that you don't really like, you're better able to appreciate that chapter as desirable and worthy of a second chance.

When I was an undergrad, there was a perceived "top 6" and "bottom 5" with almost no middle ground. I don't know if there was actually a big natural break in recruitment strength at that spot (although, I suspect there was), but the perceptions create a feedback loop that affects retention for the chapters.

As for the notion of what's "competitive", my own definition is when a PNM who has put in a considerable amount of time and energy into prepping for recruitment, and who has very good paper stats, is likely to face severe cuts anyway.

For example, I wouldn't consider UCLA a competitive campus because there are so many women who sign up for recruitment at the last minute (around 1/3 of total PNMs). A chunk of women just aren't particularly socially adept, either. If you're presentable and can carry a conversation, you're probably going to do pretty well.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I know what you are talking about, and I guess the way to say it is as above - highly tiered. Where one tier is considered SO much more desirable that the other chapters aren't worth consideration. I have heard it before and I guess it strikes me like "if I don't get in to Harvard - I'm not going to college?"

If they really wanted to find a sisterhood - shouldn't they be able to find a home with other girls with similar ideals and interests? where they have more in common? In a big greek system - they should be able to find a connection somewhere?

The example here I guess is the chapter that has a extraordinarily large percentage of legacies in every pledge class. Wouldn't it be weird to be the 1 girl who isn't a legacy? To not have your mom or sister come to initiation? Why would you want to squeeze into something that you can't quite fit?

Last edited by HQWest; 04-29-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:58 PM

How many groups are there total?

If there are 6 or 7, I would call the campus "a living illustration of the demise of the middle class." It reminds me of something I read in a Rolling Stone article ages ago: you're either a superstar or a slave. If Greek life doesn't provide anything other than slightly increased social interaction (i.e. your living options are not appreciably nicer, Greek life in general is not viewed positively by the administration or the school, it doesn't really get you anywhere in other extracurriculars, you can have a successful social life without being Greek) and the majority of the women rushing are working-class, it may be as simple as they don't see the point of spending the money.

If there are 13 or so sororities, though, I would not put too fine a point on it and would just call it "Stupid Bitch Heaven."
Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post

If they really wanted to find a sisterhood - shouldn't they be able to find a home with other girls with similar ideals and interests? where they have more in common? In a big greek system - they should be able to find a connection somewhere?
I've argued for awhile that at schools where chapters are above say 75 women, that we could probably randomly assign women to chapters and it would all work out fine. Once the chapters get to a certain size, I think "fit" is kind of a myth. Chapters are more alike than different at that point. Ex: I bet that any PNM at say UA or Ole Miss could join and be happy at any chapter. It's impossible to "not fit in" with close to 300 people.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I would contend that there is a management/marketing/PR problem at this school that IS solvable. True, it would take someone more savvy than me, but I think for a system to achieve near parity and the growth some campuses have seen in the last several years, you have to have a Greek Life director who is nagging the chapters about mixing up their social schedules, getting everyone involved in each other's philanthropies and nixing the cat-fights. And include in that helping the chapters with member retention. Without that, as 33girl said, you're left with SBH.

Maybe balanced tiered, moderately balanced tiered and heavily tiered? If only 1 chapter out of more than 10 is the least desired and most girls would take 9 or more of the others, that is extremely well balanced. With 3 (again 10+) we could call it moderately tiered, and then we have the "these girls need to get over themselves" campuses. But I still say if it's YOU getting cut, it's competitive.

I would say that puts most Big 10 schools at Moderately Tiered. I can't tell with the SEC schools because they seem to have really strong parity, but that may be a paper thing that doesn't translate to real life.

But it still doesn't answer how you tell a girl she's going to a heavily tiered school, that every chapter has great things to offer and to get over herself about being too good for any but the top 3 chapters.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I'd think that the sisterhood experience itself would be the same but my informant says that the bigger 3 are perceived to be the coolest, guys want to date one of them, they win most of the campus titles, etc. The other groups have high dropout rates.
What DubaiSis said. Apparently, women are joining for date or trophy potential. Seems the system needs a solid injection of "what it means to be Greek" -- which is a significant culture change.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, EVERY campus is competitive in its own way. As another poster pointed out, the vast majority of women who participate in recruitment, no matter where they go, will receive a bid if they maximize their options. What makes it "competitive" is how hard it is to get the bid from the group that everyone wants. If you actually have a campus where no one gives two rats asses which group they end up in the end, then your campus isn't competitive. I don't think that campus exists. The SEC isn't so much more "competitive" than other schools than tiered as other people have pointed out. The recruitment is so tough because it's a gauntlet, with women thrown to the side by groups they've been raised to believe are the only groups worthy to belong. It's all a mental game. The only place I'd call truly competitive is Indiana with their ridiculous bed rush.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!