GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,334
0 members and 1,334 guests
No Members online

Old 12-15-2005, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

hey girls/guys
this is an alum on DZO. I just wanted to say I think it's a great thing if nationals does happen, and we had looked into the idea far before MTV ever came along. I think it would be a positive thing, and perhaps that is what we needed in the past ( more "adult" type figures in charge, or guidlines,, wiser about life etc) just my opinion.I don't know if we would have made the same decisions with more to answer to. I don't think it would be forgetting about DZO, I am sure the local history could be incorporated into the chapter. I think there are a lof of benefits to it, and they really are a great group of girls (regardless of anything else) there is a lot more to people than thirty minutes a week at a sorority meeting (ie what was on the show).
Old 12-18-2005, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: question about the presenations...

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by texas*princess
Are these presentations taking place for the sole reason of finding DZO a NPC to affiliate with (since they have expressed interest in "going national")?

Originally posted by aopirose
Yes.

Okay, I was always under the assumption that we (NPC) would have to be the one to make the determination ot whether they will be absorbing a local or not.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the NPC should be making the decision of A) affliate to the campus and B) absorb a local, it shouldn't be the campus or the local making that decision.

Plus, shouldn't the local be doing the "leg work" and finding a NPC whose motto, philanthropy and values they would like to "live up to"?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 12-18-2005, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: question about the presenations...

Quote:
Originally posted by ASUADPi
Okay, I was always under the assumption that we (NPC) would have to be the one to make the determination ot whether they will be absorbing a local or not.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the NPC should be making the decision of A) affliate to the campus and B) absorb a local, it shouldn't be the campus or the local making that decision.
Yep... I always thought the NPC if chosen to colonize and it accepts, has the option to absorb the local, pick & choose which ones they want to keep from the local and then recruit from the outside for the rest of the colony, or just do ground-up expansion. I guess I"m incorrect..
Old 12-18-2005, 04:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Okay, I was always under the assumption that we (NPC) would have to be the one to make the determination to whether they will be absorbing a local or not.

Yes.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the NPC should be making the decision of A) affiliate to the campus and B) absorb a local, it shouldn't be the campus or the local making that decision.

It’s still a mutual selection process. Only NPCs interested in absorbing a local will even submit an extension packet. No packet, no invitation to present. Of the NPCs invited to present, one will be invited to colonize and absorb the local.

Plus, shouldn't the local be doing the "leg work" and finding a NPC whose motto, philanthropy and values they would like to "live up to"?

I don’t know DZO’s specifics so I will speak generally. Abiding by the proper NPC procedures, a local (or interest group) can do leg work referencing a specific group or two and feel that they are the “perfect” match. However, their chosen group(s) may either a) not be interested in the campus or b) not be interested in the local. They have to make a decision to look at someone else or remain local. On the other hand, a local (or interest group) may know that they want to be a part of an NPC but not have a favorite. (This is not uncommon especially for systems opening to National groups for the first time.) They will narrow their options based on the extension packets and presentation visits.

Yep... I always thought the NPC if chosen to colonize and it accepts, has the option to absorb the local, pick & choose which ones they want to keep from the local and then recruit from the outside for the rest of the colony, or just do ground-up expansion. I guess I"m incorrect..

It’s not that you are incorrect but each NPC has its own Membership Selection policy dealing with locals. However, an NPC that wants to pick and choose among the local members or start a ground-up colony should not even submit. I don't believe in breaking up a sisterhood.

Last edited by aopirose; 12-18-2005 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
Good explanation here. I just want to provide a little more info on a couple things.

There are 2 ways for a local to seek affiliation once it has been approved by the campus or the college Panhellenic. One is for the local to contact ONLY the groups they are interested in. aopirose explanation is great for what happens if they go this route.

Option 2 is for the campus to send a notice to the NPC expansion chair, who sends to all org's expansion rep, that the local wants to expand. Then the interested groups send packets in and presentations will follow. The method is determined by those on campus (the local, greek advisor, panhellenic, etc). Option 2 is usually best b/c it gives more options for the local.

I always thought the NPC if chosen to colonize and it accepts, has the option to absorb the local, pick & choose which ones they want to keep from the local and then recruit from the outside for the rest of the colony, or just do ground-up expansion. I guess I"m incorrect..

It’s not that you are incorrect but each NPC has its own Membership Selection policy dealing with locals.

Very true. The org can choose who they want to accept to make sure she will live up to the values of the org. Since they are absorbing a local in this case, it is very likely that the org will accept all or most of the current members, providing they have grades, can meet the financial aspect and are committed to the new org. They do still have the option of not accepting members, but will most likely only do so if there is a big concern. If the group of existing members is small compared to other NPCs on campus, they will usually recruit more women so they can be around total.

Some org's will allow AI for alumnae, but it really varies, probably more so than our general AI policies. If an alum base needs to be developed, the NPC may be more willing to accept AI members than normal. If there is no real need for alums (NPC already has established alum chapter), they may say the local alums need to go through the normal AI process and get no special consideration. Again, it can really vary depending on the organization. This is based on conversations with a couple different orgs that have differing views on AI.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gpb1874
Some org's will allow AI for alumnae, but it really varies, probably more so than our general AI policies. If an alum base needs to be developed, the NPC may be more willing to accept AI members than normal. If there is no real need for alums (NPC already has established alum chapter), they may say the local alums need to go through the normal AI process and get no special consideration. Again, it can really vary depending on the organization. This is based on conversations with a couple different orgs that have differing views on AI.
Do you mean alumnae as in colonizing members or alumnae as in women who may have graduated and been in the local several years before - i.e. who were not part of the group who chose the national? I can't imagine not allowing the colonizing members to join the national.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:57 PM

Question

Did anyone ever find out if any other groups were presenting?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Do you mean alumnae as in colonizing members or alumnae as in women who may have graduated and been in the local several years before - i.e. who were not part of the group who chose the national? I can't imagine not allowing the colonizing members to join the national.
I was referring just to those that are alums prior to the colonization.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
Did anyone ever find out if any other groups were presenting?
DZO is nt affiliating with any NPCs at this time. They had one presentation and that group decided to not colonize there.

Denise
Old 01-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by Denise_DPhiE
DZO is nt affiliating with any NPCs at this time. They had one presentation and that group decided to not colonize there.

Denise
Thanks for the update Denise!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Unregistered-

Bumping just in case anyone needs a good read this evening.