GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 961
2 members and 959 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 11-03-2013, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Transfer/Graduate Re Joining Sorority

Hello,

OK here is my situation… I am an athlete first and foremost. I joined a sorority my freshmen year and was only apart of it for a quarter. I left that sorority the summer before I transferred, due to budget cuts and the fact my sport was cut from that school. I transferred schools to continue playing my sport.

Once I transferred I was unable, due to practice schedule and school, to find out if I was able to rejoin that sorority. I recently graduated and am now done with my sport. I am planning on going back to school for a second undergrad or graduate. I am wondering what the rules are in regards to if I would be able to join a sorority or rejoin my previous sorority I had joined over 4 years ago?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirl9 View Post
Hello,

OK here is my situation… I am an athlete first and foremost. I joined a sorority my freshmen year and was only apart of it for a quarter. I left that sorority the summer before I transferred, due to budget cuts and the fact my sport was cut from that school. I transferred schools to continue playing my sport.

Once I transferred I was unable, due to practice schedule and school, to find out if I was able to rejoin that sorority. I recently graduated and am now done with my sport. I am planning on going back to school for a second undergrad or graduate. I am wondering what the rules are in regards to if I would be able to join a sorority or rejoin my previous sorority I had joined over 4 years ago?

Thanks!
First question: Were you ever initiated into the sorority at your former school?

@~/~~~~
Old 11-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Were you initiated? Did you resign your membership? Did you leave your chapter in good standing?
Old 11-03-2013, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. I believe I was initiated. I had a big sis, was in a class, and all. I did the spring rush.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

wait... you were a member for a quarter. Wondering: was it Spring Quarter? Because you then wrote that you left it the summer before you transferred. What does that mean? Did you resign?

Was your sorority represented at your new school and you didn't affiliate?

Sorry but your writing style is somewhat confusing.

ETA: well I type slowly with a splint on my wrist. At least the cast is gone. And sorry again but don't you remember being initiated? At all? It's pretty memorable. It's actually a big deal.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-03-2013, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe I was initiated. I think I resigned. I told them that I was no longer going to be apart of it due to the fact I was transferring and I left in good standing (all payments paid, etc)
Old 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I did spring rush and was apart of it for the spring quarter, which is 3rd quarter because summer counts as the 4th quarter. I left the sorority right before school ended and summer was beginning. I then transferred that summer to a new school.

The sorority is represented at the school I just graduated from and am going to try and go back to for second undergrad/graduate school. I did not reaffiliate when I transferred.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Your best information will come from someone at your sorority's headquarters. Find the national website and look up the contact info. Phone them.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Transfering doesn't = resigning. And "apart" = separated from.

Did you go through a ceremony after your pledge period? Did you learn the secrets of the sisterhood and earn the right to wear the sorority's badge? If so, you were initiated and you may not join any other sorority. As long as you only transferred and didn't submit anything to your chapter in writing stating that you're resigning your membership, then you're still a member of ABC sorority. Whether you could be a part of the chapter at your new school will depend on your sorority's policies.

If, however, you never went through initiation, you're free to join any chapter you want at your new school (if you go back as an undergrad).

@~/~~~~
Old 11-03-2013, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember if I wrote anything resigning my membership, but if I did then what would that mean?
Old 11-03-2013, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

That would mean you are no longer a member. Your group may have a process where you can apply for reinstatement. If not, then you are pretty much dead in the water as you can't go back to yours and, since NPC does not allow one to be initiated into more than one group, you would not be able to join another group.

The only way to find out is to contact your national headquarters.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

If you resign your membership IN GOOD STANDING, you MAY be able to petition for reinstatement. It depends on the constitution/bylaws/policies of the (inter)national headquarters of your sorority. Take FSUZeta's advice. Contact the HQ of the sorority you were a part of; that's where you will get the right answers.

good luck!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-03-2013, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

titchou, I owe you 'nother co'cola.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Just emailed the headquarters. Hopefully I'll have more information soon. Thank you for all the help everyone!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirl9 View Post
Yes, I did spring rush and was apart of it for the spring quarter, which is 3rd quarter because summer counts as the 4th quarter. I left the sorority right before school ended and summer was beginning. I then transferred that summer to a new school.

The sorority is represented at the school I just graduated from and am going to try and go back to for second undergrad/graduate school. I did not reaffiliate when I transferred.
I am having a hard time understanding what you are writing. Did you complete your degree at the 2nd university? and ya re back in school for a 2nd undergrad degree or grad program?

If so, I don't believe that you can join or rejoin an NPC organization while you study for a second degree. I don't have a Green Book in front of me, so please correct me if this is incorrct...