GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,316
4 members and 2,312 guests
Cookiez17, FSUZeta, PKT4LIFE, Xidelt

Old 02-25-2012, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Doesnt matter how old you are, rude is rude! You seemed to have ignored the rest of my message, and only held the the ONE sentence that talks about the amjority of you being young.. (I was just making excuses for the ladeis rudeness.. the fact that you're older actually makes it worse! ha!)

And Irish Lake, are you saying that what YOUR soririties are about is what ALL sororities are about? Because I woudl venture to guess that different sororities are in place for their own purposes, some social, some acedemic, some for philanthopy, some a combination of all, etc.. So, why judge me without even knowing the details of what I am trying to do for MY daughter? matter of fact, why judge me at all! I don't judge people for what they decide is good for their kids! Because YOU'RE daughter wouldn't enjoy a club, doesn't mean other little girls wouldn't. I have no problem bonding, but I know that this would make the experience even more fun for her! SO, I'm willing to go there! I'm glad I didn't give details of the purpose and plan for our little cub, because those ideas would have most certainly been cut down by everyone as well! lol!

Alpha, yes, this has caused me to stoop to new levels rather than be the bigger "woman", but I do have a hard time with being rudely judged.. It's something I'm working on..
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeleilori View Post
Doesnt matter how old you are, rude is rude! You seemed to have ignored the rest of my message, and only held the the ONE sentence that talks about the amjority of you being young.. (I was just making excuses for the ladeis rudeness.. the fact that you're older actually makes it worse! ha!)

And Irish Lake, are you saying that what YOUR soririties are about is what ALL sororities are about? Because I woudl venture to guess that different sororities are in place for their own purposes, some social, some acedemic, some for philanthopy, some a combination of all, etc.. So, why judge me without even knowing the details of what I am trying to do for MY daughter? matter of fact, why judge me at all! I don't judge people for what they decide is good for their kids! Because YOU'RE daughter wouldn't enjoy a club, doesn't mean other little girls wouldn't. I have no problem bonding, but I know that this would make the experience even more fun for her! SO, I'm willing to go there! I'm glad I didn't give details of the purpose and plan for our little cub, because those ideas would have most certainly been cut down by everyone as well! lol!

Alpha, yes, this has caused me to stoop to new levels rather than be the bigger "woman", but I do have a hard time with being rudely judged.. It's something I'm working on..

No one was rude or judging until you got rude. "Why" is a valid question. Why a sorority? There are PLENTY of mother-daughter activities out there. Why do something for which you obviously have a disdain?

Also, learn to type. You're a mom, you should be teaching your daughter to communicate properly, and children learn by example.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it me or does she sound like a mom that will do ANYTHING so that her daughter can be in a "sorority"? Kind of like that lifetime movie "Willing to Kill".
Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessamy View Post
Is it me or does she sound like a mom that will do ANYTHING so that her daughter can be in a "sorority"? Kind of like that lifetime movie "Willing to Kill".
It sounds more to me like SHE is the one that wants to be in a sorority (we all know those girls who dump on the cheerleaders while secretly wanting to be one). I doubt her daughter cares. The greek letters will probably confuse her more than anything. My daughter just recently quit asking why I have things that say "A E A".
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

No one was rude to you, adeleilori, until you got defensive and rude yourself.

To each their own. Have fun with it.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

At least try coming up with an original group of letters if you absolutely have to do this. Taking someone else's group name isn't cool.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
Oh, I don't think anyone was being intentionally rude, but maybe surprised? There are a lot of mothers who come to this site seeking advice, but it is usually those with girls who have reached recruitment age and are preparing to go through it.

As said by Alpha Frog, if this makes you feel closer to your daughter, no harm done. And IrishLake suggested you do a Google search for clothing. Just search Greek Wear and you'll hit several options.

It's different from your situation, but about 15 women and I have started our own little sorority for fun. Fall 2011, we all watched our first-born's go away to college. It was tough, so we started a support group. Granted, support is usually rendered by going out for margaritas after the kids return to school after a break, but we also get together and make care packages during exams.

We named ourselves the Alpha Tau Mu's, for "Always Their Moms". For short, we call ourselves the most appropriate "ATM's."

Just curious, but why Pi Delta Alpha?

Greek, was the comment below you rude? "She came out of your vagina. Isn't that bonding enough?

Pi Delta Alpha - Pretty Darn Asinine?"

to the person who wrote that, you clearly have no kids, or you would KNOW that that isn't enough.. It takes sooo much more then spreading your legs to get pregnant and then spreading them again to evacuate that child, to RAISE a child. If you're bonding stops at birth, than you yourself have a lot of work to do.

Greek, I love what you've done! I am a mom who thinks outside of the box, and I love surprising people, including my daughter! She is a very girly girl, and at 9 has so much to learn about becoming a lady! We hold old values dear in our home and she learns to cook, clean, etc. She loves to hang out and do girl things, and she has 2 brothers - little brothers and often times she gets lost in the chaos that is homeschooling with a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old. She is a HUGE help and I want to reward her. She has been a member of other girls clubs and loves them, but I guess 9 is about that age, when mommy becomes very important and she's wanting us to do things together. We've always done dates, etc. But I know what she likes and she would absolutely LOVE to feel like her and mommy have something cute, exculsive and seperate from the boys! lol! She adores the Proverbs 31 woman description, so I came up with Pi Delta Alpha, since Pi is the first letter of Proverbs in greek, the Delta triangle to me represents the trinity (Father, Son, Holy ghost) and# 3 (I'm thinking of changing it to Gamma though), and Alpha for The God head and # 1 = Pi, Proverbs; Delta[or gamma], 3; Alpha, 1. I think we'll be incorporating some of these things as well: http://www.p31girl.com/P31/P31_Welcome.html, and we're just looking forward to having a good time together.

Heavens to betsy, now that I've spewed some details.. let me brace myself for the comments from the others.. :/ !
Old 02-25-2012, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
At least try coming up with an original group of letters if you absolutely have to do this. Taking someone else's group name isn't cool.
Ditto.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh no!!! I wasn't at all trying to do that! Check my last reply, I just came up with what could spell out Proverb 31. I'm thinking about going with Pi Gamma Alpha now though..
Old 02-25-2012, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
No one was rude to you, adeleilori, until you got defensive and rude yourself.

To each their own. Have fun with it.
OH, I beg to differ.. a group ranting with sarcastic "WHY?"'s and posting pics of moms and daughters dressed alike in an effort to make fun of their "bonding" is quite rude.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Dude, the part that makes me upset is you're taking another group's letters, no matter what your reasoning is. If you came on here saying you wanted to name yours Delta Delta Delta to mean "darling daughter Diane", I'd have the same issue. It's just weird and disrespectful, especially if you now know that it already exists.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh no!!! I wasn't at all trying to do that! Check my last reply, I just came up with what could spell out Proverb 31. I'm thinking about going with Pi Gamma Alpha now though..
That exists too! Use Google, for the love of Mike.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
No one was rude or judging until you got rude. "Why" is a valid question. Why a sorority? There are PLENTY of mother-daughter activities out there. Why do something for which you obviously have a disdain?

Also, learn to type. You're a mom, you should be teaching your daughter to communicate properly, and children learn by example.
Obviously have a disdain??? where did you get THAT from.. I have no disdain for sororities.. If you had asked why in a decent manner (like you just did above), then that would have been completely different, but to interject that starting one is what is needed to make me feel closer to my daughter? That is rude. for the record, I'm doing it for HER, not me..

and ps. lets act our age, ok? Everyone knows that in typing quickly, you may have typos. I don't bother going back to correct them since I have a one year old in my lap, but I know they're there.. I'm not gonna stoop to your level and be offended by that rude & unnecessary comment. I'm actually a journalist by trade, so don't worry.. my daughter is covered!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That exists too! Use Google, for the love of Mike.
ok, let me just be clear.. LOL! I'm not trying to come up with something that does NOT already exist! I'm not trying to go national people, I'm trying to form a small group for just me and my daughter? If I hadn't come here (and maybe I shouldn't have...), You all woudl have never known about it!

oh.. and I did do google searches on both of them!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Obviously have a disdain??? where did you get THAT from.. I have no disdain for sororities.. If you had asked why in a decent manner (like you just did above), then that would have been completely different, but to interject that starting one is what is needed to make me feel closer to my daughter? That is rude. for the record, I'm doing it for HER, not me..

and ps. lets act our age, ok? Everyone knows that in typing quickly, you may have typos. I don't bother going back to correct them since I have a one year old in my lap, but I know they're there.. I'm not gonna stoop to your level and be offended by that rude & unnecessary comment. I'm actually a journalist by trade, so don't worry.. my daughter is covered!
Telling us that our sisters are "pretend" shows disdain for Greek life. We DID ask you why in a decent manner before you got rude.

As to the bold....holy crap.