GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,821
0 members and 1,821 guests
No Members online

Old 10-21-2018, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFLDDD View Post
My daughter is a newly initiated Alpha Gam and was going to do silver with a pearl, but then I talked her into doing 10k yellow and all pearls as it is what the vintage ones I see look like. She's very excited to eventually get her badge (we understand the wait may be a long one!). I didn't see any other stone options when she showed me, although maybe we just stopped at pearls?! I agree it's a pretty badge. We didn't have any choices when I was a collegiate.
The only options are pearls and diamonds--a single diamond or diamond points. My all pearl badge is a vintage one from the 50s--it's beautiful! She made a good choice.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this link will work, but I found this really cool old Alpha Phi pin on etsy (someone just bought it this month). It's got the "lazy Phi".

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6459477...d_out_detail=1
Old 10-22-2018, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIILisa View Post
I don't know if this link will work, but I found this really cool old Alpha Phi pin on etsy (someone just bought it this month). It's got the "lazy Phi".

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6459477...d_out_detail=1
Wow! That is quite unique. I've never seen that alpha in the middle with a starburst around it.

Last edited by littlesquirrel; 10-22-2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-20-2019, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw this on the Goodwill site:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/73987034

In case any Alpha Delta Pis are interested.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenHeart View Post
I saw this on the Goodwill site:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/73987034

In case any Alpha Delta Pis are interested.
I don't know about the other NPC groups, but we do not own our badges. We pay for a life-long lease. When we die, our badge is either supposed to be buried with us or returned to our headquarters. I get so annoyed when I see our badges on Ebay and other sites like this. LOL. There are always a ton unfortunately.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASquirrel View Post
I don't know about the other NPC groups, but we do not own our badges. We pay for a life-long lease. When we die, our badge is either supposed to be buried with us or returned to our headquarters. I get so annoyed when I see our badges on Ebay and other sites like this. LOL. There are always a ton unfortunately.
Same with Theta Phi Alpha--and if they are buried with us, there is a very specific way it is to be done.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to step in for a moment Ladies, but We Guy's are also protective of our Badges. I have sent my Total Collection to an Ex G Cer who has, been helping me to sell them! To Brothers only and never on e-bay!

As I mentioned before, I collected Badges/Pledge Pins from all of THE GREEK's on Campus when I started My Local Beta Chi in 1965.

Sorority's: ASA, SSS, AGD, ADPi , (Since Closed)

Fraternity's: STG, SX, PKA, PSE, TKE, (Has Closed).

Just doing to keep History Alive!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-21-2019, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m so glad this thread was resurrected - I was recently very ill and read the whole thing cover to cover. While many of the images have sadly gone into the ether, I have loved seeing those that remained.

I’ve recently started my own mini collection and you all have inspired me and kept me going when it got pretty rough.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm years late, but do you still have these?
Old 02-28-2020, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My only other comment would be the lack of wearing Badges. I do not know if the woman still wear them as much as they did when I was in school so may years ago? Can you tell me?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-05-2020, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Nope. They don’t have the same attachment to the badges, for the most part. Wearing pledge pins to class is considered “hazing”, and it took 11 months for my DD’s class to receive their badges. Thx Herff Jones! They don’t routinely wear them to chapter meetings if their chapter doesn’t dress in pin attire every week. And more casual dress standards all around equates to fewer opportunities to wear it. It’s a shame.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post
Nope. They don’t have the same attachment to the badges, for the most part. Wearing pledge pins to class is considered “hazing”, and it took 11 months for my DD’s class to receive their badges. Thx Herff Jones! They don’t routinely wear them to chapter meetings if their chapter doesn’t dress in pin attire every week. And more casual dress standards all around equates to fewer opportunities to wear it. It’s a shame.
Yep...sadly, I wear mine when I'm at Convention every other year and then we normally have at least one or two occasions during the year to wear them. Not a daily or even weekly basis. Sad too because I think our badge it beautiful.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So terribly sad!

I have said a thousand times that I would rather see a sorority pin worn respectfully with casual clothing than sitting in a jewelry box. Our sorority elders worn them in their hair, for heaven's sake!
Old 03-08-2020, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What Would Our Founders Say to THAT Noise? Is that a new NPC mandate?

And where, other than during rituals, would it NOT be considered hazing for women to wear their new member pins?

Are some women refusing to wear sorority pins/badges because they are ashamed of what others perceive the NPC and/or their sorority represent?

This year, for the first time in about seven years, I observed NO women and NO students wearing their NPC Badges during Badge Day last week.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I've been more a lurker than a poster over the years, but I find my way back here every once in awhile just to drool over pins. Thought I'd share some lovely Adelphean/ADPhi/ADPi pins:

Adelphean badge that showed up on the auction site a couple years ago (man I need to win the lottery!):

Very rare ADPhi badge that showed up on the auction site last year (I really really really need to win the lottery!! But I heard it went home to a Sister, so I'm thankful for that!)

1916 ADPi with pearls and diamond points. Note the guard attachment on the left! Up until the late 80s/early 90s the guard loop on most ADPi badges was on the right, then in the late 80s/early 90s it moved to the bottom. There seems to be a couple of years in the 19-teens that the guard loop was on the left; it reminds me of the pictures of Adelphean pins with their Wesleyan Female College stick guards coming from the left.

1939 large pin with pearls and ruby points and 1946 small pin with alternating emeralds and pearls. Love all the gem options and yellow vs white gold! Sadly, with last year's rebranding, they decided to narrow options down to white or blue stones only.

1959 sapphires with pearl points. Such a pretty gem combination!

Modern badge with raised hands and bottom guard loop

Last edited by Elsinore; 04-26-2020 at 04:16 AM.