GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,478
2 members and 1,476 guests
Sciencewoman, Xidelt

Old 04-27-2001, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Legalization of drugs

While we are at guns and gun control...Let's talk about another controversial topic!

How does everyone feel about legalization of drugs? What drugs if any, should/ can be legalized? Why? Are there some that you consider not harmful physically or socially? Does anyone else feel that we spend far too much money fighting a problem that is only a problem because (1) we define it so and (2) they are currently illegal.

I'm interested to hear!

Also, since the board has been so into 'searching' lately, I just wanted to let everyone know I did search and found a previous post on legalizing marijuana, but I wanted to broaden the topic!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-27-2001, 06:09 PM

Man oh man, I just wrote an essay on this topic for one my classes devoted entirely to the legalisation of narcotics...I'm gonna have to take my time with this thread because there's so much i wanna say...
Old 04-27-2001, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

if drugs were legal, and controlled like ciggarets or beer, they'd be a lot harder to get.
Old 04-27-2001, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Billy, you are absolutely correct. it is easier for kids to be cocaine then to buy beer or ciggarates. I definately belive in legalization of marijuana. Majority of American also share the same belive. But of course the politicans don't care what we belive. They only care about what special interest believe.
Old 04-27-2001, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Arya:
Billy, you are absolutely correct. it is easier for kids to be cocaine then to buy beer or ciggarates. I definately belive in legalization of marijuana. Majority of American also share the same belive. But of course the politicans don't care what we belive. They only care about what special interest believe.
people who want drugs legal are a special interest group. Just not too organized.
Old 04-28-2001, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I do not think drugs should become legal..thats like telling a kid..when you get this certain age smoking weed (or whatever drug) is alright. I know that I don't use drug and never plan on trying. I think doing drugs is stupid and only stupid people with too much time on there hands do drugs! It is very dangerous..why would someone want to put theirselves in a harmful position? I also don't believe that less poeple would use drugs if they were legal, b/c what about the people who do not use drug, if they became legal, those people would feel free to try and maybe become addicted...well those are my views!

------------------
"Only The Best Get Crowned"
Old 04-28-2001, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Girl,
What do you think is stupid about drugs? I used to think that too because I was taught that as a kid. Rightly so, because I didn't have the ability to comprehend drugs at the time. however, as an adult and as a student of controlled substances, I have learned a lot. For instance, did you know that LSD is not addictive at all? Marijuana is also considered not addictive. Unlike ciggarettes and alcohol, of course, which are legal, but also addictive.

Also, LSD especially has never been shown to have negative effects of the type cigs and alcohol do such as cancer, cirhosis of the liver, and destruction of brain cells. Marijuana doesn't hurt either, except when it is smoked, when it is just like cigarettes. however, like some cancer patients that take it in pill form found, it is not harmful in that case and actually relieves the pain resulting after chemotherapy. Cocaine is nearly as adicitve as cigarettes, however, it is not nearly as destructive, unless you snort it in which case you do cause damage to your septum.

So, I guess my question to everyone is, why are such highly addictive and self-damaging drugs like alcohol and cigarettes legal while other drugs, like LSD which is netiher harmful nor addictive, illegal?

[This message has been edited by SuperXO (edited April 28, 2001).]
Old 04-28-2001, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Lsd is harmful, it messes up your brain. Here is what i suggest. Legal drinking age, 16. Legal driving age, 18. Get used it before your on the road, not the other way around.
Old 04-28-2001, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I have mixed feelings on the drug issues. In a perfect world, adults would understand the concept of moderation. I don't, however, think that all adults could handle taking drugs responsibly if they were legalized.

As for marijuana... I think it's great that it helps chemotherapy patients (and who knows who else it might help) and am all for medical use.

But remember, doctors used to use morphine to ease pain as well. And what did they find out about that?

I do think that the biggest reason that drugs aren't legal is because the government makes more money off of them now than if they were controlled legally.

I also don't think it's a really great idea to teach children that drugs are just fine. So I understand why many people want them to remain illegal. (Then again, if you're gonna use it, you use it, and if you're not, you don't).

Then you get into cigarettes/tobacco and alcohol...

I don't think there should be an age limit on either, really... but that's another topic.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com

Phi Beta Fraternity
Old 04-28-2001, 02:55 PM

personally I am all for legalizing weed. Like prohibition, the government spend to much money preventing something so many people want to do. If they legalized it and put a tax on it then the government could make money, like they did with acholol. Billy I am with you on switching the drinking and driving ages. it would be nice to be more like europe. BTW I don't do any drugs.
Old 04-28-2001, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I am for the legalization of drugs, but with strings attached: You cannot have a driver's license. Sounds extreme? It is. I think if you are dumb enough to TAKE them, you should have to forfeit another right! Now, I know what you may be thinking: Alcohol is a drug! I know it is, and I feel the same way about alcohol! But alcohol is already legal, and we cannot change that. But we are talking about a what if scenario. I would be for legalization of drugs, but only accessible to you after a 7 day waiting period, background check, and if it is revealed that you have a driver's license, you cannot get the stuff. Now, what happens if you are allowed access to the drugs and THEN you get a license. Well, your name is in the same database....THE DMV will see that a letter D for drugs is next to your name and then they would tell you, no, you cannot apply for a license right now. What about if you decide you need a license more than drugs? Well, first you would get a special Former User's License Application, then you would be registered for voluntary rehab and involuntary drug testing. You must test clean for 6 months, then you may get the license. You are then changed to a L status for License and the places that sell the drugs would be aware of the change with a change to the database...You get tested monthly and if it is discovered that you are using again, you go on a step program. The first step is license suspension for a year, second step is 5 years, last is permanent removal of licensure rights. I know, this sounds like a really complicated theory, but I have had long drawn out conversaitons about this and this is what I came up with along with a friend....
Old 04-28-2001, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow Sigmagrrl! I guess that would really make people prioritize, huh?

Billy, LSD is not harmful. Where did you hear this? The only cases in which it may be harmful is usually when people do not realize they have come into contact with the drug (it is lipiphilic and can be absorbed through skin), then they freak out when they start experiencing the psychotropic properties. I would be scared too if I didn't know what was happening to me. But, most people who take it knowingly do not have dangerous experiences, especially if they are knowledgeable and have sober friends around them (which is always a good idea, with alcohol, too!)

BTW, I don't take drugs either. I bet you guys don't believe me, because I sound like a total druggie trying to get to do drugs legally, but really, I am such a good girl a dealer wouldn't sell drugs to me if I begged. That is, if I knew how to find a dealer! The reason I brought it up is because I don't like the violence associated with the business of the cartels and I think there are better ways my tax monaey could be spent!

[This message has been edited by SuperXO (edited April 28, 2001).]
Old 04-28-2001, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

SuperXO--
LSD is dangerous. It was invented to get severly, abnormaly menatlly diseased paitents to stop thinking they were oranges or had run from the martians that were stealling their cheerios.
Old 04-28-2001, 05:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Arya:
I definately belive in legalization of marijuana.

In BC there has long been a push to legalize marijuana. And recently our federal government was toying with the idea of legalizing it for medical purposes only, but ran into the problem that if they legalize it for medical reasons, they'll have to legalize it in general.

In BC we have provincial elections coming up, and believe or not, our pot party has a candidate in every riding: meaning that they have a chance to get a seat in the BC legislature.

[This message has been edited by Siobhan (edited April 28, 2001).]
Old 04-28-2001, 08:06 PM

Super XO,

Did you see the series on History Channel called "Hooked: Illegal Drugs and How They Got That Way." One of the things they pointed out was that (really boiling this down to basics) cocaine and opium were outlawed primarily because of prejudices against certain groups.

I think a lot of the "drug war" waste and expense would be eliminated if pot were legalized. When you let a rapist out of jail to put a pot smoker in, where is the sense in that? Heroin & crack however...that's something else again - evil, bad, bad.

Also, I think the whole "gateway drug" theory taught to children in school needs to be eliminated, as does the theory that a drug is a drug is a drug. I mean if you teach a kid this way and he tries pot and nothing happens, he'll think that heroin will be just as harmless.