GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,150
3 members and 1,147 guests
Tridentia, Xidelt

Old 11-18-2000, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

X girl,

I'm sorry I brought you into this, but I'm just saying what I feel about the current situation. I'm not apologizing for my views, nor do I expect you to either. I respect that you have your own opinion and your reasons. I do disagree that Bush doesnt care about children. I understand you have your reasons, but I feel that he is would be a great role model to the children of this country. At least he will bring more integrity to the office than the Bill C. Administration. He is a family man and he is human. I just feel that Bush is more of a modest man than Gore. I dont really see how Bush is bad for our country in terms of race relations. I believe he would bring some great vision, reform and growth to the education system in our country too. Despite what Al Gore and his party thinks. I want to add that my dads family is from Northern California and that I lived there for a brief time after I finished school. I voted for Dan Lungren. Unfortunately he lost, but I do agree that California has some real problems. I suppose every state does. However, I dont think that they should necessarily spend less money, but I do think they need to make major reforms in that area. They do need to spend more money on Education and Rehabilitation. Although there are always going to be people that pose a safety risk to the community that can not be reformed. Whether it be rehabilitation or incarceration. I am speaking from experience(correctional officer and psych counselor) both in Ca. and in Va. I resent your comparison between Bush Jr. and Nixon. Again, I want to say that I do respect you have your own opinions.

Quote:
Originally posted by theXgirl:
I wanted to stay out of this but...
My opinion is this. What Republicans have shown me as an African American, Woman, taxpayer, student, is that they DON't care.
About:
Affirmitave Action
Children
Homelessness
Health care
senior citizens
Public Schools
Race relations
Gun control
freedom of choice re:reproductive rights,
the condition of the earth,
people who are not of European heritage,
do I need to go on?
I live in California. Pete Wilson(past governor) put more money into jails than schools. What kind of sense does that make? Educate all of our children so they can make wise decesions and not end up in the penal system! Our public schools are falling apart, literally. Old books, depleting buildings, not enough qualified teachers,low pay for teachers, overcrowded classrooms, lead poisoning in plumbing fixtures, low test scores..the list goes on.

Remember when Ronald Regan closed those state and federal funded mental care hospitals? Put a lot of people on the street and in some cases, stopped or limited treatment and/or medication? My family has to constantly fight to get the state to give my brother the basic medical treatment he needs. He is mentally disabled and a parinoid schizophrenia.
Am I angry? Damn right I am.

And as far as reproductive rights are concerned, that is a DECISION that is left up to that INDIVIDUAL. Years ago, I was raped.I became pregnant. Where was the government (Bush) when I was going through all the anguish and dispair and roller coaster of emotions? It was a decision I and I alone had to make. Yes, I had an abortion. All by myself. It was the BEST decision and CHOICE for ME. I don't make choices for other women, only myself. All I'm saying is have all safe options avalible.

I'm not even going to get into Bush Sr. or Nixon.

So, if it takes recounting ballots, then fine, do it. If that makes me a "poor loser" then call me that but I think I have good reasons. It's too personal for me.

There, I'm done. I'll get off my box.

ps.
I'm not apologizing for any of my views nor do I expect anyone else to.

X marks the spot

X girl

[This message has been edited by theXgirl (edited November 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by kmullini (edited November 18, 2000).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-19-2000, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kmullini:
Exactly, how many recounts will it take to get the result they want.
As many as it takes to get Gore elected - which has been the point all along. I know the LAW mandates the recount, but the LAW also mandated that 5pm Tuesday was the deadline. All we've heard since is suit after suit to keep the counting going. At the beginning of all this a lot of Gore supporters were saying it was a conspiracy set up by Jeb Bush...if anything, the recount has been a conspiracy by the democrats. They want to keep counting until they can change enough votes to say Gore is the winner. If the law clearly stated the recounts were due at 5pm Tuesday, then they should have been in. Our paper headlined a bunch of people holding up "Sore/Loserman 2000" signs - it was pretty funny, but sad none-the-less because of what it represents.
Old 11-19-2000, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

kmullini-
Bush, a former drug user and alcoholic, is a better role model for children?
Old 11-20-2000, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I, for one, am ready to find out who the president is going to be. From what I've heard from the media, whoever is elected is not going to be able to do much in office. At this point they are going to just have to lay low and do minimal work. Not make any sudden changes and basically keep the country as it's going now. If that's true, it doesn't really matter who's president.

I want to touch base about this electorial college thing again. First, my opinion is, it should be done away with. Living in a rural state (west virginia) I hear so many people complain about doing away with it "if they do away with the electoral college--then we will never see another presidential candidtate in this state." That's a good argument. BUT--all of you worried about this, I don't know about the statistics in YOUR state, but in mine I do. This was a close presidential election--obviously--so each candidate made a visit to WV 3 times. I think that's a record. Anyway, the only reason they came here was because they KNEW it was going to be tight. Last presidential candidate to visit WV before this election? John F. Kennedy!!!!! It's not like presidential candidates vist our state ANYWAY so it doesn't MATTER if they don't come here, it's not like all that many did in the first place!

Ok, on ANOTHER note, I have more info on the presidents elected in a year ending in 0. It's called 'the X factor'. Tucumpsa (indian--I don't remember how to spell) put a curse on the presidential election process--so to say. Any president elected in a year ending in 0 will die in office. After looking through one of Bryan's many history books, we found that every president elected in a year ending in 0 HAS died in office--except Reagan--and an attempt was made. So again, maybe we should have been electing a Vice President instead of a President! I thought I'd just add a bit more info for those of you wondering.

Old 11-20-2000, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaHawkeye:
now there's a strong, opinionated woman for you... way to go X girl

Thanks Iowa