GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,124
1 members and 2,123 guests
AlwaysSAI

Old 07-11-2001, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Post And you only thought Black and Latino Greeks did this

I was perusing some Christian Greek websites and I ran across one (or several) that I was surprised to see:
www.upsilonxi.com

At the site they have quick links to the other GLOs on the campus (about 10 of them). Oh, and that Delta Zeta Tau sorority has a handsign that looks awfully familiar....

These Greeks are throwing up hand signs, got auxillary groups, wear letters in their color only, no "foreign" colors, have their pledges dress alike, even this one fraternity site "numbers" their brothers into clubs (Ones, Twos, Threes, etc.).

This is at a Christian college called Lee University in Cleveland. Don't worry folx, they are all locals, but I won't say I wasn't taken aback. I think it's kinda cute.

Anyways, thought I would give you the headz up.

RM
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2001, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL

LOL....ok there is just something funny about 3 adorable white guys in tuxedos with the caption "Once you go black, you never go back"...oh wait there is a revolving photo...of some outdoorsey guys making hand signals...oh my

I have some friends from high school who went to to Lee University - didnt know of the local fraternities.

Lol too funny
Old 11-29-2001, 10:08 PM

Re: And you only thought Black and Latino Greeks did this

Hmmm..I had a look. Interesting.

Actually, this is something interesting too (IMHO); I read in my Delta Gamma pledge manual (NPC sorority) that we actually used to have a "call" until the 1930's, but it kind of fell out of use and isn't used anymore. I thought that was kind of interesting. The book didn't actually show music notes of how it would sound or anything, though.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Well...They're Representing

Brother Rain Man, here you go

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with what they're doing.

If their purpose is to uplift the name of Christ then it's all good. But I'm not really all that surprised. The greek world out there is very big and it seems like all these organizations are looking for a creative way to represent themselves. A lot of GLO's have emulated the NPHC ways of having the lines, the handsigns and everything else, my sorority included. And it's not just limited to certain ethnic groups as I just saw. IMO, as long as they're being original and have a good purpose, it's all good to me.

Hey, Greek Life...you gotta love it for what it is!

In Service,
gamma_girl52

Gamma Sigma Sigma~Service with a Smile Since 1952
Old 11-30-2001, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Our pledges all have to ress alike , white shirt, white sweatshirt, blue jeans, white shoes, shaved face... and they have to do a military style march around campus every night during the last week of pledging... http://web.whittier.edu/lancers/welcome.html go here and look in the pledging section and there are some pictures
Old 11-30-2001, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I find it amazing that some Christian colleges in Ohio won't even let you dance, but some let you throw up Christian GLO "gang signs." Very cool......

It's all just weird to me. My college has a religious affliation in the most loose sense of the word. And I have been told that our Greek system (all National GLO's) is a throwback to the GLO's in the 1980's...take from that what you will.....