GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,382
1 members and 2,381 guests
No Members online

Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Just need some advice

I've read through the thread about starting a sorority and even though it was very helpful in regards to the process, I need some more personal advice. I was approached by a fraternity on my campus about me starting a sorority. I had been interested in joining one when I first started college but they didn't have one that suited my ideals. The fraternity that talked to me thought of me as a person that would be able to start a sorority and even though I do know a group of girls that are interested, I need to know if it might be too much work for me to handle. I guess what I'm trying to ask is: Should I even consider starting one, or will it be too much work for a person to handle?

Just fyi I was considering starting an Alpha Sigma Alpha chapter because I'm a legacy and from what I could find, they fit my ideals. All answers are appreciated and I'm all ears!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Contact your Greek Life office and first see if they want another sorority on campus. Also contact ASA and see if they're willing to expand to your campus.

It would be a lot of work, but it's been done before. If you manage of your time well and are very seriously dedicated to this, then it shouldn't be that overbearing.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
Here's the ASA website page with info about starting a chapter.
http://www.alphasigmaalpha.org/how-d...art-a-collegia

Good luck!!!
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Unregistered-

Actually, she'll have to check with Campus Panhellenic if there are existing NPCs on campus. Even if you want to bring another sorority on campus, if they feel there's no need for another one, sorry, you're out of luck.

To the OP, visit www.npcwomen.org if you haven't already done so.

It's a whole lot of work. If you think you won't be able to handle it, I wouldn't even bother trying.

Last edited by Unregistered-; 07-07-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, but there is nothing unique about your situation.

If you want to start a chapter of a sorority you need to contact your greek life office to see if the school is open for expansion. If it's not, then there isn't a whole lot you can do to move forward.

If the campus is open, then there is a possibility, but it's also possible that ASA may not want to expand to your campus for whatever reason.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Actually, she'll have to check with Campus Panhellenic if there are existing NPCs on campus. Even if you want to bring another sorority on campus, if they feel there's no need for another one, sorry, you're out of luck.

It's a whole lot of work. If you think you won't be able to handle it, I wouldn't even bother trying.

That's step #3
OBTAIN PROPER AUTHORITY! You must obtain proper authority to proceed with national affiliation. At many universities/colleges it is the University/College Panhellenic Association or Greek council, but if neither of these exist contact your Director of Student Activities or Dean of Students. Most university/college Panhellenic and Greek councils have specific rules and guidelines to the expansion process.
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post

If she goes to the University of Arkansas....expansion is going to most likely impossible unless she can convince ASA nationals to build a 7 million dollar house on what seems to be non-existent land.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
If she goes to the University of Arkansas....expansion is going to most likely impossible unless she can convince ASA nationals to build a 7 million dollar house on what seems to be non-existent land.
Oh, we do that all the time.

To the OP: why is a FRATERNITY asking you to start a sorority??? That sounds sketchy von sketcherson to me.

ETA, I just checked out your profile. There are national engineering sororities - they may be more suited to what you want than another NPC group, especially if you want to keep the membership somewhat homogenous as far as field of study is concerned.

http://www.aoesorority.org/

http://www.phisigmarho.org/

Last edited by 33girl; 07-08-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I think we already have Phi Sig Rho here...not sure but I think they had a rush booth set up at orientation. Could be wrong.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I think we already have Phi Sig Rho here...not sure but I think they had a rush booth set up at orientation. Could be wrong.
She's at UA Little Rock per her profile.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
She's at UA Little Rock per her profile.
Gotcha, I'm pretty sure you could set up a sorority dime a dozen.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

So ASA fits your ideals but other sororities don't? Which ideals are you referring to, exactly?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmilehawk View Post
So ASA fits your ideals but other sororities don't? Which ideals are you referring to, exactly?
Ha!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!