GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,255
0 members and 1,255 guests
No Members online

Old 11-06-2004, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

preparing for rush a bit early

ok, so i have already started to prepare for rush. my dad bought me a white dress yesterday (i'm also going to need it for graduation) and i'm going to ask for pearls on christmas. this is what the dress looks like:

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...catId=cat63077

i still need a black dress.. but i'll wait and use prom as an excuse to get it! i'm so excited, i don't even know where i'm going to go to school yet, i just know i'm rushing. hopefully i'll get accepted to UF, ahh i'm so nervousss.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BlondeGurl
Besides the clothes have you thought about recs? If you are even considering a school like UF you will definately need them! You should start early and see if your parents know anyone or if your teachers were greek or you can contact a local alum organization.

By the way that is a very cute dress!!
Old 11-06-2004, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm still in high school to and I actually visited UF, but I decided to go with a school that has a little more southern tradition, like Georgia, Alabama (which I got accepted to, yay!!) and Ole Miss. But I loved UF. Anyways I would try to find recs, I've heard that there rush is fairly competitive. Oh and I love your dress!! Good Luck with accepptence and rush!!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks!! rebelsweetheart- i'm applying to Alabama too!! =) but UF is my #1 choice (i applied early decission) since i get in-state tuition. i've started thinking about recs, my aunt was a delta zeta and she volunteered to write me one. but do i have to have a rec for every sorority, or will one be enough?
Old 11-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by LauGh A Lot
thanks!! rebelsweetheart- i'm applying to Alabama too!! =) but UF is my #1 choice (i applied early decission) since i get in-state tuition. i've started thinking about recs, my aunt was a delta zeta and she volunteered to write me one. but do i have to have a rec for every sorority, or will one be enough?
For UF?

You're going to need a rec for EVERY SORORITY.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I've always heard that for big southern schools (like UF) you should try to get at least two recs for each house and more for houses that you really like. A senior that was on my cheerleading squad's mom called every single woman that she was still in contact with from her sorority to get recommendations for her sorority. It was insane, and luckfully she went to that house. haha. So I would say try to get as many recs as possible.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Beautiful dress!!! When you find shoes that you like to go with it (and the future black dress), break them in now, instead of waiting for Recruitment. Be kind to your feet!

LAughalot, rebelsweetheart, and anyone else planning on sorority rush in 2005, get to know some of the people on GreekChat. Eventually, there will be a thread with members of sororities who are willing to write recs for Potential New Members. Many of them will want to meet you first, or at least speak to you. But the ones you meet on your own will be much, much more worthwhile.

Think about your teachers - were any of them in sororities? If you're close to one teacher or another, you might want to ask. Your parents probably know several sorority women, too, along with the ladies you meet in church, activities, and such.

Have several nice photos (but not one of those "glamour photos"!!) ready to give to someone nice enough to write you a rec. You may also want to have a sort of a resume with your name, address, any family sorority members, grades, activities, possible majors, assets, etc ready, too.

Do a little research, and know exactly which sororities are at the college of your choice, but don't dismiss someone who isn't in one of those sororities. You may think, "Oh, Ms. Jones is an ABC and they're not at UF," but Ms. Jones' sister may be an XYZ which IS at UF!! When you visit the campus, ask about the Greek System, and let them know that you're interested.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but good luck to both of you!!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck on getting into the college of your choice! It's such a nerve-racking time, oh do I remember it well...

Anywho, I'm VERY GLAD you found a white dress already! I found a cute one at AE this summer and I'm kicking myself for not getting it. Me, the procrastinator I am, ended up stealing "Casper the Friendly Ghost" from my floor's halloween decorations and wearing him to my new member pinning.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I really love that dress, so simple and pretty. It's such a different world for us at my college. We don't do recs, pretty much your chances of getting into a house are the same as any other girl on campus (unless of course you are a legacy). It's very interesting to me to see how other systems work...sometimes it makes my head spin!
Old 11-07-2004, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
I wouldn't know how to find this out, but is there a local alumnae panhellenic near you or near UF? I think there might be one somewhat around where I am (Brevard County), but I've just heard our former Greek Advisor talk about it.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 11-07-2004, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

hmm... there might be.. what would i do? schedule an interview with them or something?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
You would be better served to seek out alumnae in your local area - those that may know you or your family.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing I would like to share is to please remember that there are people on this thread from UF so please watch what you say and what you share with us...feelings can get hurt and opinions are formed easily. Just a thought to remember when you post!! You don't want to ruin any chances of getting into a sorority before you even get the chance to rush!! Good Luck!!

Also, this is just a side comment to everyone-- I do not know how UF is (since they are a larger greek school than where I went)-- but at my school I never needed a black dress or a white dress for rush...our pref is dressier but does not require or necessarily recommend certain colors. I figure that is something per school, but I just wanted to make sure that all PNMs do not feel that is something they need...but if they are wondering that is something that you can find out from the greek office at your school or even from a GC member from their school. If the black or white dress is being bought for something after rush is over...I guess that is something totally different, but in it that case that is something per sorority. Just my 2 cents.