GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Kappa
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,532
1 members and 2,531 guests
FlorCundif

Old 07-14-2003, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi

Hi! My friend and I are starting a local sorority at our campus. We are naming it Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi. I am almost positive that this name is not being used by another organization, but how can I double check??

** As of Tuesday, July 15 at 707pm Eastern Time, the group I am trying to create is a social women's group, unaffiliated. In the future, maybe the women of the group would want to be a local.

There is no greek life on our campus. Whatever we choose as our name, whether we choose words in English and translate them to Greek that represent our group, or simply use English, that is our decision.

I am not ripping off Sigma K. I clearly understand that all mascots, colors, history, etc are copywrited to Sigma and may not be used in any shape way or form. **

Last edited by cristinasmile; 07-15-2003 at 07:34 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2003, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
I think I may have caught one of your other threads and did you mention something about finding a list of taken names???? What did you decide?
Old 07-14-2003, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.geocities.com/localsororities

I believe that's the link and there's another link within "starting a local sorority" and some link called "aries" something or other that brings you to a list of what names are taken.

Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi is not taken.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

are you starting the sorority and hoping to go national?
Old 07-14-2003, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

At some point... National, but for now local. And I'm getting worried that my school won't approve of it since it's social while the other ones are academic---

But since I'm not trying to create a sorority that is affilated with NPC, as a local sorority we wouldn't have to follow their rules and guidlines (correct?).
Old 07-14-2003, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalAngel126
I think I may have caught one of your other threads and did you mention something about finding a list of taken names???? What did you decide?
I e.mailed NPC and I already heard back from them. They wrote:

Cristina - I am sorry but we have no information regarding local sororities.
Certainly you would be unaffiliated with NPC since your chapter is not
affiliated with one of the inter/national member groups. Good luck with
your project!

So I'm "safe" with SKEPi.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:05 PM

Talking

Since it's four letters you're probably safe with SKEP. Read wishinhopin's thread about rush at UCSC. It'll give you an idea of some of the things you'll need to do to establish a local sorority. I know that on another thread you mentioned maybe being a social organization and not a sorority because you don't think the school will allow it. I'd analyze what types of things you want your group to do. If it's mostly things that would fall under "sorority life", then why fight it? If you don't want to have a local sorority but strictly a woman's social group; that's cool. Just make sure that your group conforms to university rules and state laws regarding discrimination based on sex. Otherwords, make sure that it's clear this is a social organization primarily. My understanding is that should allow you to be women only. Good luck with everything!
Old 07-14-2003, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl
Since it's four letters you're probably safe with SKEP. Read wishinhopin's thread about rush at UCSC. It'll give you an idea of some of the things you'll need to do to establish a local sorority. I know that on another thread you mentioned maybe being a social organization and not a sorority because you don't think the school will allow it. I'd analyze what types of things you want your group to do. If it's mostly things that would fall under "sorority life", then why fight it? If you don't want to have a local sorority but strictly a woman's social group; that's cool. Just make sure that your group conforms to university rules and state laws regarding discrimination based on sex. Otherwords, make sure that it's clear this is a social organization primarily. My understanding is that should allow you to be women only. Good luck with everything!
What would "sorority life" things include? I watched the show a few times, but I didn't catch every episode. My intention when going to create a social sorority would be to 1) plan programs/activitites on the Mount Ida campus
2) community service
3) plan programs/activities amongst the Sisters

I want to create a local sorority. I already e.mailed NPC and I know that SKEPi is not affifilated with NPC or any other chapter. We'd be the only SKEPi around, which is very special and unique. I really fell into love reading about SK's history and what they stand for.

My school has 4 honor socities, all with Greek names. I am worried that because it's a social not academic (like the honor socities) that it will be rejected. But I want this to work. I am wondering if I go on the basis of what the local sororities website has, as far as choosing a name, mascot, color, and that stuff... but I think their (Mount Ida) weary of the Greek attachment, but I really don't know.

I thought of e.mailing the student activities and seeing maybe what their take is, but without saying "hey I want to create Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi"... but I'd like to know what the school would think.

If I go for more of the women's group, that might pass.. But I want to use SKEPi as the name.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:27 PM

What I meant about falling under "sorority life" is secrets, rituals, intiaitions...that sort of thing. I know my school had quite a few co-ed social organizations that were popular, your school may just go for it. You'll really need to do your research about what you need to do to become a recognized student organization. Are there any groups on campus that are primarily social? I know you want to do community service too, you could try to get classified as a service sorority. They also have plenty of social aspects too. Off the top of my head, Gamma Sigma Sigma and Omega Phi Alpha are two such sororities.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

SKEPi is being started basically from scratch. I like what Sigma Kappa stands for, etc and represents. Our history may be taken off of Sigma, but also the history of the women at Mount ida. There were probably women's clubs back then... in the 1800's.

There aren't any groups on campus that are primarily social.. none come to mind. We have a cheerleading team, 4 Greek honor socities, baseball club, AIGA (I'm apart of the student chapter), Dance club, Psychology club, but no social clubs come to mind.

If we call SKEPi a service sorority, maybe they'd take that. I don't know if there's a community service type of club. Can't think of one. We'd plan events for the Mount Ida campus, for the Sisters, and for the community of Newton.

I'll look up Gamma Sigma Sigma and Omega Phi Alpha and see what kinds of things they do.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Aquastar
YAY!!! Im so glad you came here to look for advice! I hope the girls can help you ... if i find anymore info ill let you know!
<3
UMass
Amherst

"Its tradition ... and you don't monkey with tradition!"
Old 07-14-2003, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquastar
YAY!!! Im so glad you came here to look for advice! I hope the girls can help you ... if i find anymore info ill let you know!
<3
I'm kind of getting stuck.. as in what direction I'm headed in. I contacted NPC and Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi is unaffilated with NPC or any other NPC chapter. We would be the only one. I'm not trying to get SKEPi as a national sorority, just a local one (until SKEPi grows, and grows and then maybe...)

Some have said that because our sorority (the one we are creating) is Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi, someone said that I'm creating a chapter of Sigma Kappa called Epsilon Pi... but I'm not creating a national. I already got the OK from NPC. There's not an already existing SKEPi chapter.

I'm wondering as for a history, etc.. if I use SK's or Mount Ida's history... or how that is detemined. Same with colors. Our colors are green and white, while SK's are violet and white. Common is white. Does violet, white and green go together? Combing the colors of Mount Ida (white and green) with SK (violet)? Do sororites have three colors or just two? I think having the colors be violet, white and green would be special. Representing SK and Mount Ida.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Aquastar
OK ill try to help you out with that ...

1) Sigma Kappa colors are maroon and lavander

but anyway

2) the history of your chapter isnt written ... it occurs as you form your chapter ... in 20 year girls who pledge SKEPi are going to learn about the history which is YOU seeing a need at Mount Ida for a womans social group and creating SKEPi.

i know you seem to really like the letters you picked, but you want to make sure that these letters are going to be meaningful.

Im glad you identify with sigmakappa, but you want to base rules, bylaws, standards, and other such stuff on what your group believes in and wants to stand for, not to just copy them from another groups ...

btw i live pretty close ... im in somerville ... id be happy to help you if you needed advice or further explination of things

gl
<3
UMass
Amherst

"Its tradition ... and you don't monkey with tradition!"
Old 07-14-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do. Are you trying to start a Sigma Kappa colony? Or are you trying to start a local organization?

I'm confused because you say that you want to use SK history, but for what? The history of your Org is based on what he founders of the org did. Who they were, where they were from, how your org started, those kind of things. Also, maybe how you developed your symbols, colors, motto, anything that you would want your future members to know about how your organization started.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquastar
OK ill try to help you out with that ...

1) Sigma Kappa colors are maroon and lavander

but anyway

2) the history of your chapter isnt written ... it occurs as you form your chapter ... in 20 year girls who pledge SKEPi are going to learn about the history which is YOU seeing a need at Mount Ida for a womans social group and creating SKEPi.

i know you seem to really like the letters you picked, but you want to make sure that these letters are going to be meaningful.

Im glad you identify with sigmakappa, but you want to base rules, bylaws, standards, and other such stuff on what your group believes in and wants to stand for, not to just copy them from another groups ...

btw i live pretty close ... im in somerville ... id be happy to help you if you needed advice or further explination of things

gl
<3
Alright... the rules, bylaws and standards come from what those starting the sorority believes in, not from what another existing sorority believes in. Gotcha.

There's not a Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi chapter. Whether we change or name, or keep Sigma Kappa... and add something to it- that will be determined by the group.

Sorry about the colors. Maroon and white.

I'd like to IM you if you have a screen name. I think I could post and post and post.