GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Pi > Pi Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,488
0 members and 1,488 guests
No Members online

Old 02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Strongest chapters?

I'd like to hear some opinions on which chapters are the strongest and all around best in the country.

not just the most smythes, but respect on campus and regionally, visibility, etc.

I'm a recent initiate into what I've been told is one of the best chapters, and from what I saw at Pike University in Atlanta over the weekend, it's true.

but I'd like to hear from a thrid party.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-26-2007, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3168 View Post
I'd like to hear some opinions on which chapters are the strongest and all around best in the country.

not just the most smythes, but respect on campus and regionally, visibility, etc.

I'm a recent initiate into what I've been told is one of the best chapters, and from what I saw at Pike University in Atlanta over the weekend, it's true.

but I'd like to hear from a thrid party.
Welcome, what chapter are you from?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Welcome, what chapter are you from?
well, I don't want to skew the results.

but I will say it's in the Southeast.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3168 View Post
well, I don't want to skew the results.

but I will say it's in the Southeast.
Ok. I was just told last week by some girl I met that the Pikes at U of Arizona are the number one fraternity on campus, if that means anything to you. One funny thing I've noticed about Pike chapters over the years is that they are either at the top or bottom of their respective greek system. Of course, this is just based on what I've seen at conventions and what I've heard from friends who went to other schools.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Now this is a fun one, and I'll take a shot to incite debate...

Top Pike Chapters All-Time
1. Zeta (Tennessee)
2. Beta Eta (Illinois)
3. Upsilon (Auburn)
4. Delta Lambda (Florida State)
5. Alpha Nu (Missouri)
6. Alpha Omega (Kansas State)
7. Alpha Eta (Florida)

The Best of the Rest
1. Beta Phi (Purdue)
2. Alpha Phi (Iowa State)
3. Gamma Delta (Arizona)
4. Alpha Sigma (California)
5. Beta Kappa (Emory)
6. Delta Theta (Arkansas State)
Old 02-26-2007, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

OK. This is fun. I'll take a shot too.
First, unfortunately we have not had a chapter at U-Arizona for several years, but they used to be great. Likewise at Emory: used to be great but we're gone now until 2008 or thereabouts.
If you look at the entire 20th Century, the top two Pike chapters overall for the 100-year span were probably Florida and Auburn. Florida got in trouble recently and are trying to hold on right now. I hope they'll come back quickly. Auburn has never been bad or even average. I don't know if we're the best at Auburn, but Upsilon is a mainstay of our Fraternity's strength.

Yes to the University of Illinois. It's the largest fraternity system in the country and we're probably the top chapter there. I've heard great things about Zeta at tennessee, and they would have to be included with Florida and Auburn as one of the Fraternity's top chapters over 100 years.

Yes to Purdue: awesome house and consistently powerful chapter. Yes to Arkansas State: not a big name school, but the chapter's always been large and first class with great achievement.

Missouri used to be better than they are now; likewise Kansas State and Iowa State. With a little aggressive effort, Missouri could jump back into head-to-head competition with Beta and ATO like they used to. Kansas State I think had to re-build the chapter because of house rennovations. They were down for awhile but seem to be coming back strong. Iowa State has a beautiful house but they never got their numbers back up to where they were when they were dominant.

I have nothing against Berkeley, but I have a hard time believing that they are that good.

We have a lot of really excellent chapters at smaller schools like West Georgia, Florida Tech, Presbyterian College, Chapman College (in California) and others including Bobby-the-Don's chapter in California.

I'd say, if I was trying to identify more Pike chapters that have very high prestige on Division I campuses, look to these:
Tau @ North Carolina;
Gamma Omega @ Miami of Florida;
Alpha @ Virginia;
Eta Alpha (colony) @ Clemson;
Gamma Iota @ Ole Miss;
Beta Tau @ Michigan;
Beta Zeta @ SMU;
Epsilon @ Virginia Tech
Gamma Eta @ Southern California
I'm sure I've missed some and i don't mean to leave anyone out. Don't intend to offend, and I'm sure someone else will point out the ones I've missed.

I'm a Florida State alum so I'm not commenting on us.

Last edited by Firehouse; 02-26-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

If we are discussing current strength, then the chapters at Nebraska-Lincoln, Missouri-Rolla, Wayne State in Michigan, Louisiana-Monroe and Tulsa have all been good for many years and continue to this day.

Ditto that over the 20th century, competing with Auburn, Florida, Tennessee and FSU is difficult.

Today, there are generally 30-35 chapters that consistently compete for and win awards on the International level and are all considered the best or second best fraternity on campus. Perhaps an argument could be made that within each of the 16 "super regions" there are 1-3 top chapters. If you were to look at a list of the Excellence Award winners within Pike, this would probably represent the chapters I am discussing. The majority of the chapters discussed in this thread fall into this category, either in this past year, or at least within the last 5 years (if they were closed) or so.

Last edited by KEPike; 02-27-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I forgot Rockhurst: leaders from inception. Sorry, it's late. I was looking at a map; there are lots of smaller schools where we're always been strong, like Stephen F. Austin, and Southwestern, and Wofford, Missouri-Rolla (not really a small school), and IVYs like Penn and Duke.
I'll tell you one that stays under the radar for some reason: Penn State. It's an old chapter, Beta Alpha, but they've always been a leader on a campus with 55 fraternities. Maybe not Smythe winners, but always among the best on campus, and cool guys.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Omega

As of right know we are about 105-110 men strong, thats including our spring pledges. A pledge brother and myself are currently the Recruitment Chairman, and we are looking for a very strong fall pledge class 30-40 men should not be difficult and if we are persistant who knows. I like to think big, while keeping the quality of man very high. The History of Alpha Omega is quite interesting in the past 10 years.

About 98-99 Nationals came and reduced our nearly 100+ man chapter to I believe about a 25-35 man house. This was due to drug problems within the house. Then we ran on rougher times when the house had an electrical fire in 2000. I think my numbers are all off by one year, but not exactly sure. My pledge class in fall of 2004 has been the one that has really dominated the house in the past 2-3 years. We went from about a 65 man house to 110 in a few years, and we have maintained it. Issues concerning drugs are taken very, very seriously. We have kicked two guys out since I've been here. Currently 4 of the 7 Exec positions are held by Fall 04 pledge members. We have made alot of changes and things look to be going good for us. But we are not settling for mediocrity. We feel that we are very strong at Kansas State, ranked only 2nd in terms of Awards from Greek Affairs. (We Came in Second to Farmhouse). But that will all change this year. We will be Number 1 with the programs we have implemented. And we see no reason that PIKE should not dominate Kansas State.

We always look up to Alpha Kappa as what we want to model our house after, although there in a much different campus setting than we are.

Last edited by KSUPIKE; 02-27-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

well these responses confirmed my thoughts.

I'm a Zeta. University of Tennessee at Knoxville.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I just saw your new website, Zeta. Very nice! What's the status of the new house?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

construction has been postponed for another year, which is really not a problem for most people outside of alumni who want a nicer house.

all the actives are content.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 1868Always
I wouldn't put us down as one of the strongest chapters of TTKA overall, but Gamma Kappa has done a commendable job on the Montana State - Bozeman campus. Currently with membership in the upper fifties and growing, triple digits is not out of the question for the next couple of years. We also hold 3 out of 4 ASMSU senate seats, and over the past four years have been home to the ASMSU President twice and ASMSU Vice-President twice. Campus of 12,000 undergrad, but Greeks are less than 5%. Biggest house on campus with Sigma Chi right behind us.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I was there a long time ago, and Gamma Kappa was good then too. The big dogs at the time also included Sigma Chi and Sigma Nu. Sigma Nu especially was having a good run, but I don't know if they sustained it.
Congratulations on dominating the campus politcal life and rush. Glad to see great chapters!
Old 04-06-2007, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to coastalpike
Coastal Carolina

Well prior to getting the boot last year for what in my opinion was very controversial we consistently doubled the size of the 2nd largest frat on campus for about 5 years, and at one point had as many members as the rest of the fraternities on campus combined. Only fraternity on campus to ever initiate any NCAA athletes, never lost intramurals/athletic events, Homecoming king has been a pike 7 out of the last 9 years, etc.

Unfortunately our student activities director was against us because he said we were too interested in sports, women, and parties (Even though we raised more charity dollars than anyone on campus). Considering the guy was flaming gay I guess he really didnt understand the whole concept. He had been waiting for something to happen that he could pin on us for years and when it finally happened, they kicked us off for 7 years. After the ridiculous sentence, the entire greek community was up in arms and eventually led to both the greek director and student activities director leaving their positions.

From a nationals standpoint, the chapter was charged for dues the entire spring semester that they were suspended from campus and not allowed to hold meetings. The chapter spent all of our safety money on lawyer fees (who actually ended up screwing us over worse). When nationals told them they were pulling the charter and to cough up the dough, it was never paid. Trying to collect dues off a bunch of guys who just found out the charter was yanked is not too easy.

"Officially" not allowed back on campus until 2013. Not sure if nationals will allow us back since they owed about $2500 for dues that spring semester and we are considered a small school. However, they have been underground for about a year and are still the largest on campus and won all of the top intramural championships under the name "7 years."