GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,517
0 members and 1,517 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2007, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I'm entirely sincere, so please no one flip out on me.

I admit I haven't been around to see the havoc that they could create, but why is perping such a big deal in terms of GreekChat?

I think someone would have to be a freak to perp, and retroactively realizing that you've been in correspondence with a freak would/is disconcerting, to say the least.

But since we can all probably think of legit members of groups that are problematic for almost every group, Alpha Gamma Delta excepted of course , what protection does officially checking them out for GreekChat provide?

I wouldn't think there'd be a whole lot of ritual information being discussed even in PM.

And really, if you think about it, most of the ways that we "verify" membership could in themselves be easily "perped" right. If you knew the full name, chapter, and year of initiation of any real member, couldn't anyone beat the perp detecting GreekChat system?

I guess what I'm saying is wouldn't it make more sense to assume almost everyone wasn't legit until proven in real life in some way.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-05-2007, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
It's all good, and you're not a freak. There are some odd-balls that do "strange" things.

To the person above with the Sigmache boy. I know of people that rush at a "good school", but then end up a "lesser-then-school". They will wear their "good school" fraternity shirt to show they were rushed by a good fraternity.

Is that what your girls boyfriend did? If so, it's not that big a deal... Pretty pathetic yes, but not that HUGE a deal.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
it's just hilarious to watch people make fools of themselves. just sit back, relax, and watch the self-destruction unfold.....
Old 04-06-2007, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMcGuire1983 View Post
I don't know if it's really California or just all the people I've been around but I think I'm the only guy from my high school class (2001) that pledged and it just seems like greeks have horribly negative stereotypes. I talk to Southerners and they act like greek is THE thing to be whereas here it's like "oh...you're a snobby date rapist...great".
Don't forget...." drunken snobby date rapist"
Old 05-13-2007, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Isn't that why ya'll have your secret handshakes and all that??

Girls have databases (you perp and we WILL FIND OUT)....guys have handshakes.
To tell you the truth the "secret handshake" is not that secret. I have roomed with a few Greeks in other frats and in they were drunk they showed me their handshake because they said that theirs was harder. Not that I would ever use it but I remember them.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

haha I've had guys from different fraternities tell me all sorts of things about their fraternity...handshakes, "education', etc...
Old 05-13-2007, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't know if it's really California or just all the people I've been around but I think I'm the only guy from my high school class (2001) that pledged and it just seems like greeks have horribly negative stereotypes. I talk to Southerners and they act like greek is THE thing to be whereas here it's like "oh...you're a snobby date rapist...great".
oh its arizona too. just the other day i was walking back to my apt wearing my DU hat and i passed by this bar (just walking by it mind you) and i greeted the bouncers with a "evening fellas." i was just being polite and i immediately got a sh** storm from these two guys. they mocked me for wearing letters and told me to go date rape some girls. unbelievable. you try to be nice to people...

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:04 AM
GreekChat Member

why would someone fake being in a GLO that they aren't? Do people have no lives?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
word to the wise, NEVER EVER fake the funk about being a Freemason, if you get your a$$ beat for lying, most of the time cops won't even help you.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTA_Lover View Post
why would someone fake being in a GLO that they aren't? Do people have no lives?
To reap the benefits and prestige without actually putting in any work. It's very funny to catch someone in the act though.

Recent Exchange:

Woman: Oh you're in a fraternity? I'm in one too!
Me: *hmm* Which one?
Woman: Delta!
Me: Delta what?
Woman: You know..Delta.. *poor attempt at the call* .. I pledged at (insert area with no campus or city-wide chapters)
Me: That's strange. They don't have a chapter there.
Woman: Umm...*quickly walks away*
Me: *laughing inside*

Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

During college I went on a few dates with this guy I knew from a student organization. Right off the bat he told me how he had been in Kappa Alpha Order and how he knew all the guys and blah blah blah. I'm pretty sure he said this because he knew I was friends with quite a few of them. Anyway, he would always bring it up, but then he mentioned that he had quit/deactivated, what have you. Now, I only went on a few dates, and I thought it was sort of weird, so I mentioned it to my Diamond/Big sister in ADPi who was dating a KA. She heard the name and goes, oh "Bob"? Oh no, he was never a KA - he was kicked out during pledging. Her boyfriend confirmed the story, and I was absolutely mortified. It didn't matter to me that he wasn't in KA, it was the fact that he lied about being in KA ... how lame is that?
Old 12-30-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah it was the same way at my high school in southwest missouri, That's why i've waited till this spring to rush... i hated fraternities at first because i only knew what i was told about them but it didn't take long for me to change my mind, Its those danged stereotypes... i knew alot of people at my high school and so far i'm fairly sure i'm the only to even rush... and p.s. since i'm not in a frat YET, does that make me a perp? cuz if so i wouldnt mind checking out...

Last edited by 4est; 12-30-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
does that make me a perp? cuz if so i wouldnt mind checking out...
LOL, no that just makes you a potential rushee. And that's a good thing. You'd only be a perp if you came on pretending to already be Mr. XYZ-big-fraternity-man-on-campus.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

one of my favorites was when i was pledging and my job was the work door check at our parties to check IDs and who they know in the house. Generally at our events you either need to be greek to get in or be a girl, or have a friend in the house. So i get one guy who walks up cocky, obviously the leader of the laughing drunk freshman and acts as the negotiator.
Me-ID's and who do you know in the house?
Kid-I know brad
Me-No one named brad lives here
Kid-Dude are you joking me? (looks back at his friends and laughs) Listen buddy I'm a pledge at this house and my friends are gonna be pissed when they find out you gave me ****.
Me-I'm the pledge class vice president....get the **** out.

It's pretty fun calling out posers because we keep a list of every fraternity and sorority's officers if we feel like quizing people claiming to be greek to let them in.

Last edited by SAEalumnus; 12-30-2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: TOS - language
Old 12-30-2007, 02:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobis View Post
Kid-Dude are you joking me? (looks back at his friends and laughs) Listen buddy I'm a pledge at this house and my friends are gonna be pissed when they find out you gave me ****.
Me-I'm the pledge class vice president....get the **** out.
Priceless!!

Last edited by SAEalumnus; 12-30-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: TOS - language