GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,462
1 members and 1,461 guests
Kevin

Old 10-13-2022, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Selling your National Headquarters???

I just read an article that Alpha Xi Delta sold their headquarters building due to staff working remotely. I also read a few weeks ago Theta Phi Alpha also terminated their headquarters building lease in order to save on costs. Anyone else know if their organization plans to eliminate/reduce their national headquarter offices?

https://www.alphaxidelta.org/update-...rters-building
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-14-2022, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! Delta Gamma is half and half and has decided to remain that way - according to the latest announcement. I can't imagine not being able to view our archives!
Old 10-14-2022, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi Omega went from owning their own office to renting space in an office complex about a decade ago. (After spending the 1990s trying to convince alumni to help pay down the mortgage on the National Office). The National Office building is owned by a local State Farm insurance office.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Wow! Delta Gamma is half and half and has decided to remain that way - according to the latest announcement. I can't imagine not being able to view our archives!
Amen. I would spit nails if my GLO thought a “digital collection” was an acceptable substitute. Sorry A Xi D, but this is an absolutely horrible idea. Perhaps I’ve just seen Soylent Green too many times, but we have no guarantee that our current level of technology will grow or even maintain itself forever.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Amen. I would spit nails if my GLO thought a “digital collection” was an acceptable substitute. Sorry A Xi D, but this is an absolutely horrible idea. Perhaps I’ve just seen Soylent Green too many times, but we have no guarantee that our current level of technology will grow or even maintain itself forever.
This is the only part of the whole thing that surprised me and kind of makes me sad. Not having a "true" national headquarters totally makes sense in this day and age, and I imagine there's little to no need for orgs to limit themselves to HQ staff that are centralized in one city or town.

Plus, real estate is expensive. This, in addition to payroll, is where a lot of for-profits and non-profits spend the most money. If you can eliminate at least part of the real estate from the equation, it makes good financial sense and allows you to allocate money and resources to more of the things that matter.

That being said, keeping a small space - even if it's leased - where a small staff overseas historical items that sisters can view seems necessary. I can picture VERY small museums I've visited, and they're totally worth it.

Going digital nowadays is certainly practical - and sometimes necessary - but this seems like one step too far.

Sadly, I doubt Alpha Xi Delta will be the last to go this route.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-14-2022, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
It really sucks for our organization. I was surprised when the announcement was made. They also don't have plans for a new building. Hopefully a space is leased to have the opportunity to see historical items.

But honestly the building was not comparable to the other organization HQ building in the area (at least in my opinion)

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 10-15-2022, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
It really sucks for our organization. I was surprised when the announcement was made. They also don't have plans for a new building. Hopefully a space is leased to have the opportunity to see historical items.

But honestly the building was not comparable to the other organization HQ building in the area (at least in my opinion)
Your headquarters looks to be right around the corner from ours, and is similar in appearance and structure.

There is a very clear difference between NPC sorority (and fraternity) HQs. Some are McMansions and others appear more like office buildings.

I wouldn't be shocked if, in the near future, the former keep their large buildings and the others go the way of Alpha Xi Delta.

But again, the one thing that seems worth holding on to is the physical history that a computer screen can't match.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-15-2022, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't remember which group it was, but I thought there was one who closed their headquarters but put the archives in one of the large chapter houses. Does that sound familiar to anybody else?
Old 10-15-2022, 06:51 AM
GreekChat Member

AGDee - pretty sure that was Alpha Phi
Old 10-15-2022, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Do your organizations have historical exhibits at national conventions?
Old 10-15-2022, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

@Sen - I remember such a display but I’m not sure which one of Alpha Gam’s conventions it was. Maybe our centennial in Chicago?
Old 10-15-2022, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyDays View Post
@Sen - I remember such a display but I’m not sure which one of Alpha Gam’s conventions it was. Maybe our centennial in Chicago?
We had one in San Antonio, the 50th Convention, for historial convention memorobilia. I believe there were displays in Chicago for our Centennial too.
Old 10-15-2022, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Zeta does it every convention.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

AOTT isn't planning on closing their headquarters building.They are currently creating a new AOTT history museum addition inside their HQ in honor of their 125th anniversary. My sister worked with an AOTT this summer who happened to mention the AOTT plans.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Do your organizations have historical exhibits at national conventions?
Mine doesn't. I don't know if they have in the past for milestones, though.

@~/~~~~