GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,131
2 members and 2,129 guests
3DGator

Old 07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Pairless Homecoming Social Suicide?

So we have just been informed that we will be pairless for Homecoming. Fortunately unlike most schools IU also has little 5 which in many peoples opinions is a lot more important to have a pair than Homecoming. However should we just roll with the punches and have a bro fest and hope our friends in sororities come over still during that week or should we try and serenade a sorority and try to steal someones pair. Is going pairless social suicide?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-28-2011, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmkr19 View Post
So we have just been informed that we will be pairless for Homecoming. Fortunately unlike most schools IU also has little 5 which in many peoples opinions is a lot more important to have a pair than Homecoming. However should we just roll with the punches and have a bro fest and hope our friends in sororities come over still during that week or should we try and serenade a sorority and try to steal someones pair. Is going pairless social suicide?

Have you tried peaches?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 PM

There are so many more fraternities than sororities there...of so many different sizes...I don't understand why they don't do 2 male 1 female threesomes.

If stealing is a socially acceptable thing to do, go for it, but ONLY if you are 99.999999999% sure it will work. If you try it and fail, you'll look far worse than if you just decided to adopt the "homecoming is for lame-os" outlook in the first place.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If stealing is a socially acceptable thing to do, go for it, but ONLY if you are 99.999999999% sure it will work. If you try it and fail, you'll look far worse than if you just decided to adopt the "homecoming is for lame-os" outlook in the first place.
I don't understand this??
Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Lasater View Post
I don't understand this??
That's because you are too busy getting ready to spam to process the post.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmkr19 View Post
No. The biggest thing is that you need to do damage control with your pledges so that they don't think it's a big deal. Take the focus off of the pairings and make it be about alumni (hence, the initial reason for homecoming). Get a lot of the old folk to come down and plan a decent event for them, and make sure your new guys are having fun.

If you, instead, go about trying to steal another fraternity's pairing, you will look desperate.

Other possibilities: Are there any non-NPC groups on your campus who would be interested in doing a pairing? Or, as someone upthread mentioned, can you arrange a three-way?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Pairing with a Nursing student group has worked on our campus.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

This post is from late July. Since the OP has posted, a new chapter has colonized on the campus. They could contact the new chapter.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
This post is from late July. Since the OP has posted, a new chapter has colonized on the campus. They could contact the new chapter.
When is Homecoming? Isn't it a little late for that at this point? The post only got bumped because of a spammer.

All that being said, just out of my own curiousity, would it be cool of them to "steal" a sorority or not? This is all foreign to me - we just paired to build floats and that was more based on the sorority's wanting a fraternity that would actually show up and do some work.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Homecoming is Oct. 29. Homecoming pairing isn't really that big a deal. They just get their football tickets in the same block, get some favors and have some parties. The problem is there are way more fraternities (22ish with houses, 2 who have been kicked off campus how still have parties and a dozen or so with either off campus housing or no housing that range from in size from 75-12 members) than sororities (19 housed and a new colony) there. The smaller fraternities who do not have housing who could actually do a three way party with a housed fraternity and a sorority, but I don't see that happening on the regular. As has been discussed here many times, the Greek System at IU is only about 20% of the campus, but the percentage could be higher if there wasn't bed quota. There are many more women out there who would like to be Greek, but there just aren't opportunities for them to join.

Pair stealing would be bad form and cause some bad blood between fraternities.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
There are so many more fraternities than sororities there...of so many different sizes...I don't understand why they don't do 2 male 1 female threesomes.

QFP

There are 22-ish fraternity houses where I go to college, and 10ish sorority. This year there's an influx of 6k incoming freshman, which is like 2-3k more than last year, and most sorority houses will be up to 150-ish members yet most fraternities have like 40-70 members on average. It's entirely possible to split the sororities into groups if it's possible and everyone is ok with the split. I just don't see most sororities doing this at all, and I just have to ponder why... Kinda suck to leave half of the housed fraternity on campus pairless when you have plenty of girls to go around.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 AM

I don't think it's even a matter of "splitting" as much as it is making the male-female ratio a little more even. Personally if I was a girl in one of these chapters the last thing I'd want would be to have the opposite of a sausage fest. I don't understand why the girls don't demand this.