GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 772
1 members and 771 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Member of a non active frat formal question.

I am a currently a sophomore and my college recently suspended my fraternities charter for 4 years. However I am still an alumni of the fraternity, and the whole brotherhood is trying to stay together even though the administration is doing everything they can to stop that. We were thinking of having an unofficial "formal" for the seniors and also for people like me who just were initiated and did not get to reap many of the benefits of being part of a fraternity. However my school finds out about everything, and not suprisingly they have knowledge about our formal and are threatening us. Since this is the only formal I would ever be able to go to for my own fraternity, I am strongly considering going. Although I was wondering if anyone knows the ramifications of being charged with having a formal (ie getting sued by Nationals). If any one has any knowledge of this I'd really appreciate it.
Also I know that people will comment saying that since my charter is not active that my fraternity should definitely not have a formal. Take into account that I got to be a brother for three weeks before my school royally screwed my fraternity over because of an agenda to get rid of Greek Life. So as I said any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderskier5000 View Post
I am a currently a sophomore and my college recently suspended my fraternities charter for 4 years. However I am still an alumni of the fraternity, and the whole brotherhood is trying to stay together even though the administration is doing everything they can to stop that. We were thinking of having an unofficial "formal" for the seniors and also for people like me who just were initiated and did not get to reap many of the benefits of being part of a fraternity. However my school finds out about everything, and not suprisingly they have knowledge about our formal and are threatening us. Since this is the only formal I would ever be able to go to for my own fraternity, I am strongly considering going. Although I was wondering if anyone knows the ramifications of being charged with having a formal (ie getting sued by Nationals). If any one has any knowledge of this I'd really appreciate it.
Also I know that people will comment saying that since my charter is not active that my fraternity should definitely not have a formal. Take into account that I got to be a brother for three weeks before my school royally screwed my fraternity over because of an agenda to get rid of Greek Life. So as I said any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Options:

a) Call your national headquarters because they can better answer this question.
b) Call the school because they can better answer this question.
c) Have a formal without the fraternity name and symbols. No one can stop you and your friends from doing a get together that is not associated and affiliated with the school and fraternity. Choose a neutral location and do not do anything specific to the fraternity.
d) Don't tell anyone I advised you to do "c." The first rule of unofficial formals is that you do NOT talk about unofficial formals.

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-20-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Is the school public or private?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-20-2010, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

We're not sure what the climate on your campus is towards Greek Life, the reason for charter suspension, etc... Some private schools actually threaten expulsion for members of greek organizations suspended from campus.

There are also logistics; how will you get money for a formal? Will everyone pay out of pocket? Where will it be held? Would you be able to get a venue that will rent to you even though your organization is suspended? Is your campus rural/city/suburban?

It's hard to provide a recommendation tailored to your group, since we know absolutely nothing. However providing information to us might harm your group, since national organizations and schools do read this board.

My 2 cents: Don't risk yourself over this. Education comes first and if you guys get in serious trouble over this, was it really worth it?

Edit: This sounds like what happened to ADG at my school except the whole anti-greek life part and a bunch of other back story.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
c) Have a formal without the fraternity name and symbols. No one can stop you and your friends from doing a get together that is not associated and affiliated with the school and fraternity. Choose a neutral location and do not do anything specific to the fraternity.
d) Don't tell anyone I advised you to do "c." The first rule of unofficial formals is that you do NOT talk about unofficial formals.
This and this. Call it "Mikey's Birthday Party" or something of the like.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This and this. Call it "Mikey's Birthday Party" or something of the like.

Today's collegiates don't know how to do anything. I partially blame the availability of places like GC where they can ask questions instead of just thinking and figuring out what works.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Today's collegiates don't know how to do anything. I partially blame the availability of places like GC where they can ask questions instead of just thinking and figuring out what works.
You would think that a chapter that got shut down (and I'm about to make a big assumption) would know how to keep their shady dealings a secret - or maybe they couldn't and that's why they got shut down. Still, common sense should lead you to know "unofficial formal" means you keep you head down and fly under the radar.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
You would think that a chapter that got shut down (and I'm about to make a big assumption) would know how to keep their shady dealings a secret - or maybe they couldn't and that's why they got shut down. Still, common sense should lead you to know "unofficial formal" means you keep you head down and fly under the radar.
And it doesn't have to be a shady dealing.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

True, but as long as the OP and his chapter take the whiny persecuted road their skewed mentality will turn it into one.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I agree 110% (even though i guess i fall into the category of "today's collegiates" lol) with that statement- not necessarily towards this topic but in general.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

so what did you even get shut down for???
Old 01-11-2011, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSigal View Post
so what did you even get shut down for???
It's really not your business unless you're a member of his fraternity.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderskier5000 View Post
Thanks.
This is probably too late, and I appologize for the brevity as I am typing on my phone. My chapter has been kicked off campus for going on three an a half years now (I was initiated last semester), and we still operate just fiine even with my university cracking down on Greek Life as well. Brotherhood doesn't die because some GDI suit says so.

That being said, there is nothing they can legally do to stop you from having a formal, so long as (if you're renting a place out) you don't rent it out in the name of your fraternity, or claim affiliation with the fraternity. You cannot wear letters on campus, either, if I were to wear my letters I would be kicked off. Howevver, there is nothing to stop you from freely associating, so long as you don't self identify the event (formally) as being for your fraternity. Book the location under one brother's name.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEP View Post
That being said, there is nothing they can legally do to stop you from having a formal . . . .
Careful with giving the legal advice, hoss. You just might be wrong.

And since the OP asked the question over a year ago, I'd guess your answer is more than "probably" too late.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Careful with giving the legal advice, hoss. You just might be wrong.

And since the OP asked the question over a year ago, I'd guess your answer is more than "probably" too late.
Wow, I only read that it was in April....not 2010.

I'm going to go bury my head in the sand for a minute, brb.