GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,078
1 members and 1,077 guests
Sarak24034

Old 08-15-2002, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

jobs at GLOs

So how does one go about getting a job at a fraternity or sorority HQ? (Or at NPC or IFC?)

Do you have to be an initiated member of a group to work there? Can someone be a member of one org and work at another? (I'm pretty sure we have a few guys at our FHQ.)

Are most of them long-time volunteers, or just folks who happen to live in Indianapolis?

I know that quite a few of our staff are former traveling consultants for us, but surely that can't be the only way to work for a GLO.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:49 PM
Unregistered-

I know I can't speak for other GLOs, but I know of at least two employees at the Alpha Gam IHQ/Foundation that are not Alpha Gams.

Kathryn Kish is our Executive Director at IHQ. If I'm not mistaken, Kathryn is a Kappa Alpha Theta.

Gale Wilkerson chairs the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation. Mr. Wilkerson obviously isn't an Alpha Gam, but I think he is Greek. He's worked with other Greek organizations before.

Usually when a position opens up, it is immediately posted in the Members Only portion of our IHQ website. Those interested usually submit a letter of interest and their resume to IHQ.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Sigma Nu hires people that are simply qualified for the position. Actually Fuzzie, one of your sisters is the head of I believe it's our Strategic Planning Committee (and she's our national Sweetheart as well)..

Most of the people that work at our HQ office are female... Not sure whether or not they are Greek.

Otherwise, if I wanted a job/internship at HQ I'd just send in a resumé.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-15-2002, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I worked at our IHQ

I worked at our IHQ in Indianapolis for a couple of years. Many of the women (no men at that time) who worked with me at IHQ were not members of Alpha Gamma Delta. Some were members of other GLOs and some were not affiliated. In fact, I saw that this was the case at many of the groups who had there HQs on Founders Road in Indy. Currently, Alpha Gam has about 5-6 non Alpha Gams working at IHQ. It really does not matter...it is a non profit organization where it is all business at IHQ.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I've found that some orgs list job opportunities at their HQ on their web sites, it just takes a little searching

I remember when I was in grad school, Kappa posted a nationwide search for a worker in our Heritage Museum in Ohio. In this case, they needed someone with experience and education in museum and archival studies, and being a Kappa was nice but not necessary. It seems to me that the qualifications for the position are more important than GLO affiliation (or not).
Old 08-15-2002, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

LXA has Soroity Ladies and some Men from other Fraternitys at HDQ.

Upon questioning this, I was told that the Position need to be filled but did not anything about our Ritual. If I had not been married I would love to hsve been a Traveling Sec as we once called them! Even offered to get divorced as had only been married a short time!

It is tuff to fill positions with your Organizations members as not sure how much it pays and ALL Orgs are strapped for money!

It is a great experience that I was not able to be with.

I applied for the CEO job 4 mo. ago but they wanted superman!

Hell, I only have the Love!

It would be a great and frustrating time working with so many people but a labor of Love!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-15-2002, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaStargirl
I remember when I was in grad school, Kappa posted a nationwide search for a worker in our Heritage Museum in Ohio. In this case, they needed someone with experience and education in museum and archival studies, and being a Kappa was nice but not necessary. It seems to me that the qualifications for the position are more important than GLO affiliation (or not).
That position sounds incredibly fascinating and fun! Would archival studies be something that falls within your field of expertise?

Oh, and are you moving back to Pittsburgh or what????
Old 08-16-2002, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose

That position sounds incredibly fascinating and fun! Would archival studies be something that falls within your field of expertise?
Unfortunately, I had no expertise in museum studies at the time the job was posted...and I still don't. The MLIS program at Pitt is really intense, I just didn't have the time to take classes on archival studies because I had to take my required classes plus children's lit, storytelling, etc. But for anyone who IS interested in museum work...I'll put in a plug for Pitt's program

I AM moving back to Pittsburgh, in October, I'll send you a PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

GLO HQ Jobs

Many of the individuals at HQ's (not all) belong to some type of GLO. I don't believe that I have ever saw a job announcement (and I see a lot because of the AFA list-serve) that specifically require membership in that organization. Most state, "membership in XYZ is not a requirement for employment."

At our HQ's (Phi Delt) all the men are initiated members of Phi Delta Theta. The women that work on staff may be members of other sororities, or non-affiliated people....there is a mixture of both.

I do know of a lot of people that work at HQ's besides their own. I tend to think that this might be a good idea, because it allows for an "outside" perspective, and it also would be good for the employee.

To me it seems like it might keep a little bit of the "mystery" to our own HQ's staff and operations....I don't know if we necessarily want to get involved in the dat-to-day politics of it all...it might put a damper on our alum experience.

The Executive Dir. of Delta Upsilon is a Phi Delt, the Executive Diretor of Triangle is a Delta Sigma Phi. Those are the two in the male fraternity world that stick out in my head.

As far as employment at the NIC goes....their professional staff is actually pretty hard to get into. I'm not sure of the exact number, but I believe their professinal staff numbers under 10. They have a very limited number of positions, and people generally hold onto them if they got 'em!

Same for AFA (Association of Fraternity Advisors), where there are actually only 2 professional staff members.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone for your excellent advice!
Old 08-21-2002, 02:30 PM
Ginger

Our International HQ is all volunteer run, and all are DOs. I'm not sure whether it's actually a requirement to be a DO or not, but I don't see many people taking a position without being paid if they're not a sister!