GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,427
1 members and 1,426 guests
TLLK

Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Mel, I love your cake.
Thanks! It might be hard to tell in the pic, but the fondant was light green. The cake itself was tuxedo cake (one layer french vanilla and the other chocolate fudge) and man was it tasty.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
Mmmm...
Old 03-28-2008, 12:13 AM

I'm surprised that SHEETCAKE has not crashed this thread yet.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Sylvia Weinstock all the way! I cannot wait to choose my wedding cake!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Knowledge1913 View Post
Sylvia Weinstock all the way! I cannot wait to choose my wedding cake!
Who are you? Tiffany and Cartier rings "all the way" and now "Sylvia Weinstock all the way"? You're a little too proud of yourself, trying too hard to put down others' choices.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
^^^Judging by the link in her signature (which she has made efforts to post in pretty much every forum, it seems), perhaps she is Brenda Myers, Independent Beauty Consultant for Mary Kay Cosmetics?
Old 04-05-2008, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
^^^Judging by the link in her signature (which she has made efforts to post in pretty much every forum, it seems), perhaps she is Brenda Myers, Independent Beauty Consultant for Mary Kay Cosmetics?
LOL. I hadn't noticed that. I do find that a little amusing for someone so passionate about Tiffany and Cartier. I know, I know, lots of women love Mary Kay...but I don't know many women that would call it top-of-the-line. It gives me a rash.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe Mary Kay is now giving away pink Sylvia Weinstock cakes along with the Cadillacs?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone been to a wedding that they have a Cupcake Wedding Cake? http://www.ouroneheart.com/wedding-cupcake/ I love the idea and if I ever get married, that is what I'll do.

KSUViolet, I have been to several weddings in NE Ohio where they have served cheesecake. But, the more popular cake (particularly in the Italian community) is the Cassata wedding cake. It's fabulous!
Old 04-05-2008, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Who are you? Tiffany and Cartier rings "all the way" and now "Sylvia Weinstock all the way"? You're a little too proud of yourself, trying too hard to put down others' choices.
Thank you, yes!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur de Lis View Post
I went to a wedding last May where the groom's cake was an ice cream cake. In case anyone was considering this, I'm warning you it is very messy. The poor girl assigned to cut that cake was having a hard time, so I stepped in and basically just started to scoop "pieces" onto plates with two forks. Maybe if it would work if it comes directly from the freezer, but I still don't recommend it.
I went to a wedding two years ago where they had Dairy Queen cakes - there was one for each table of 8 or 10. It was yummy but they were still hard to slice, we could have used a knife in addition to a cake server!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Maybe Mary Kay is now giving away pink Sylvia Weinstock cakes along with the Cadillacs?
I saw a MK Cadillac the other day! It was crazy - the woman driving it looked sort of busted and didn't have her "face" on for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Has anyone been to a wedding that they have a Cupcake Wedding Cake? http://www.ouroneheart.com/wedding-cupcake/ I love the idea and if I ever get married, that is what I'll do.
One of my law school classmates did this at her wedding last May. She had pink and brown cupcakes to match her colors.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

We had seriously considered doing cupcakes at our wedding, but the baker that does the best cupcakes was already booked. I'm not hugely crazy about wedding cake.

We're having about 150 people. There's a bakery in our area known for their wedding packages. Essentially we're having a cake that will feed about 75 people then an array of desserts as well (cheesecake, pies, tortes, cakes, etc. - we get 7 choices, and they're huge and we can always add more if we want). So everyone can get something they like. It's actually extremely reasonable. Which is surprising considering that the baker does the desserts for some of the more high end restaurants in the city. Plus, of course, we WILL have an enormous cookie table!

Tentatively we've picked white cake with fudge filling with strawberries. Apparently some people think this is odd. Chocolate and strawberries don't go together??? Hello, chocolate-covered strawberries? It tasted fabulous.

No idea what I want the cake to look like. Our colors are blue and platinum. Thankfully don't have to deal with the look of the cake for a few more months.

Cake tasting was my fiance's favorite part of wedding planning so far. Though he did enough registering
Old 04-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Plus, of course, we WILL have an enormous cookie table!
*whew* I'm glad you got the important part down!

Most wedding cakes really don't taste very good - I usually head right for the groom's cake whenever available!

But the wedding cakes are looking really beautiful right now. I was told that, since the fondant that looks so lovely tastes somewhere between eh and nasty, the bride should consider asking the baker to put a thin layer of some sort of jam on the cake prior to draping the fondant.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Instead of cake, my niece will be having individual servings of peach cobbler that will somehow be banked like a cake. Somehow, that goes perfectly with her personality!

Our daughter has talked her sister, who bakes cakes as a sideline, into making her cakes. They're discussing lots of different ideas right now but she does like one that has the layers set on at different angles like ADqtPiMel's cake.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I was told that, since the fondant that looks so lovely tastes somewhere between eh and nasty, the bride should consider asking the baker to put a thin layer of some sort of jam on the cake prior to draping the fondant.
I had a cake tasting on Saturday, and the baker put a generous layer of buttercream under the fondant. I thought it tasted great with the fondant, but my fiance loved that it was easy to peel it off, and he still got tasty icing underneath