GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,301
0 members and 2,301 guests
No Members online

Old 07-14-2000, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

"Then again every woman in my family is a DST so we never really had to worry"

I'm sorry, I have to say that this is amazing! I am the first person in my family to go to college so you can understand why this is unheard of to me. That's wonderful!

I'm sorry for straying from the topic at hand; I just had to say that.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2000, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thatgirl:
As far as 'knowing what you wear on your body means', if we were heading that, then all of these clothes with Chinese symbols on them wouldn't be so popular. People wear what they like, and what something means to you may not be the same thing that it means to another person. The bottom line is that you can't expect people to feel the way that you feel about something that they know little or nothing about. You can't TAKE the shirt off of someone's back. You don't have that right.
EXACTLY. For that matter, we don't know what the crest means on Tommy Hilfiger clothes, or what the horse means on Ralph Lauren Polo, or the sheep on Brooks Brothers, but we wear it anyway, with little care towards what those symbols mean. The same goes for people wearing Greek letters...it's a shame, but we can all be considered guilty of it in some way, shape, or form.
Old 07-14-2000, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT:
I am being soooo petty here, but...where in the post did it say the man was an Omega? Perhaps I missed it. It really doesn't matter what he was...just asking.

Thank you, I am the original poster of that story and I beleive I did not mention an organization, so I wouldn't have to go through the what this or that org stands for.
A person who posted after me said that sounds like an Omega man and it just took off from there....lol

But I beleive that the moral of that story was that for those that don't understand, educate them and then everything will probably be fine.

But I feel that that should exemplify what every man should be like and it is what many greek men are like.

Anyhow for the record the man I was talking about was an Phi Beta Sigma
Old 07-14-2000, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
EXACTLY. For that matter, we don't know what the crest means on Tommy Hilfiger clothes, or what the horse means on Ralph Lauren Polo, or the sheep on Brooks Brothers, but we wear it anyway, with little care towards what those symbols mean. The same goes for people wearing Greek letters...it's a shame, but we can all be considered guilty of it in some way, shape, or form.
You're right, I don't know what any of those things mean.. and I don't wear them!!!!! For a very short time I owned stock in the parent company of Jones of New York, and that is the only "name brand" that I care to display across my chest. Also, don't assume that because a practice is wide-spread that it is unavoidable or right (think lemming). So because we have allowed our culture to degrade to the point that you are willing to display anything that "looks cool", I'm am supposed to further add to the chaos by adding my greek letters to the "meaningless symbol but cool colors" pile? NO!!!

PS. I'm the one that incorrectly attributed the young mans actions to Omega Psi Phi, I heard Bruh, and thought Omega. Sorry

Old 07-15-2000, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Gina_lynn,
While I think what the Omega brother did was admirable, I think you are missing some of the reality of what True? is saying. I have distributed clothes to the homeless before and 9 times out of 10 what is on their minds as they are picking out clothes is: 1) is it clean? 2) does it fit? I have yet to hear anyone ask what the little horsie thingie is, say I don't wear X-brand because of their history of supporting certain causes etc. When you are trying to be clean/warm/dry etc. the 'design' (which is what the greek letters are going to mean to some) on the shirt is quite insignificant. The larger question in that example is, in my opinion, why did someone who obviously knew the significance of the 'design' feel it was o.k. to give it to Goodwill, a clothes closet,etc? Of course it could have been a family member of the fraternity member, but it would still seem to me that they would know.

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited July 14, 2000).]
Old 07-15-2000, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Eclipse:...And that's why Greeks need to dispose of paraphenalia according to their organization's guidelines, to avoid confusion.

True?: I'm interested to know if you have purchased clothing for homeless people, "just because." So what if the Omega MAY HAVE BEEN (he's not on the board, so we can't ask him what was on his mind) stopping to see about this man because there was a possibility he was his fraternity brother? A blessing still came out of the situation.

All: The real challenge is to all "get off our high horses" and find SOLUTIONS, not SALVES to the homelessness crisis in our country. Putting on a few clothing drives or volunteering at a shelter ain't gonna cut it any more. If anyone in the Chicago area is interested in being part of the solution, I can direct you to a number of organizations that are in the trenches.

DG

[This message has been edited by Discogoddess (edited July 14, 2000).]