GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 613
0 members and 613 guests
No Members online

Old 07-11-2000, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eli
Question All this talk!

All this talk of honorary memberships for famous people...

I want to know, how many people feel honorary memberships should *not* be given? I mean, I *earned* my way into a fraternity... and people like Oprah and Clinton are offered "honorary memberships" just because they have money and power? I feel cheated!

Im still in University...
Is that to say if I had not gone Greek, and I did become a realestate tycoon, that all of the Greek organizations would start running to me, and say... "be our honorary member, we care about your money... heh, we mean, we care about you, and want you to be in our fine organization." I think its selling out your good names to bestow honorary memberships!

Easy E www.angelfire.com/va2/gammachi
Old 07-11-2000, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

It is my understanding that people are offered honorary membership based on their contributions and the positive use of their huge influence on society. The organizations don't just pick and choose people based on their yearly income (I don't see anyone rushing to Bill Gates -- although he has donated HUGE amounts of money to honorable causes).

I am sure the organizations look at the money. They do need dollars to function. However, money can't be the only factor. If you make, say, Pam Anderson, an honorary member -- she has plenty of money, but what kind of representative of this sorority is she? That's just an example.

With my arguement stated, I am not sure though, because I believe that Jada Pinkett was made an honorary AKA -- what contributions did she make that warrant an honorary membership? Maybe she did a lot that the general public just isn't aware of (or, sadly, maybe doesn't care about).

I personally don't know of too many other honorary memberships that haven't obviously contributed a lot (I am sure there must be some - I just don't know off the top of my head).

Asia
Old 07-11-2000, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I see your point, Asia2000, but at the same time, I earned my way into the fraternity unlike people given memeberships. I laughed, cried, and the such during pledge season, as the best of the best of my class went down to three. Three people of my pledge class proved that they had what it took to be a member of our organization. We were not offered the dignification of membership... we worked long and hard to prove it we were worthy of it; it was earned.

Old 07-11-2000, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Eli and Asia, I agree with both of your points on honorary membership to a certain degree. It is kinda messed up that honorary members don't go through what some of us do to become members of our respective org's. But at the same time, I just see it as a different kind of intake.
For example, at the undergraduate level, it's more on the basis of taking in people who are going to work for the organization, and who are willing to pledge the rest of their lives to that org's causes. Pledging is kind of a proving time for that, aside from other tests and such. On the level of honorary membership, it's more of a chance for adults who have already dedicated their lives, in one way or another, to certain causes worth fighting for. Honorary membership is a recognition of their struggle.
Yeah we may say that they have money and that makes things easier. But not everyone starts off with money. And when you do get it, to dedicate it, along with your time, to a greater good (rather than just squander it as so many do) it deserves to be recognized. And as a member of XYZ organization we should be happy to have these people amongst our ranks. To be able to call them soror/sister or frat/brother. And in turn, they also will feel honored. If they didnt, they wouldnt accept it. After all why accept an invitation to XYZ oganization if I don't agree with their aims and goals, and now feel even more compelled to make those aims a reality.
Aside from all this, whats the saying? "The real pledging begins after you've crossed." Some of these honorary members have been "pledging" for a very long time. Years and years of struggle and service, all for the betterment of the world they live in and the audience they cater to. As far as Im concerned, the honor is all theirs.

PEACE: Proper Education Always Corrects Error

PS: Sorry for the long post )
Old 07-11-2000, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Good points. (Your right, you can only learn through dedication of wanting to better yourself, and trust me, I am always open to what other people say).

Old 07-11-2000, 03:16 PM
Artimis

Honorary memeberships should be IMHO for outstanding men and woman who in their lives uphold the values and ideals of the given organization. Because they are in the public eye, the "world" can become aware of the principles and values of the organization.

Honorary memberships shouldn't be given on a whim, and in most cases I don't think they are.

anyway..
jenn
Old 07-11-2000, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli:
I see your point, Asia2000, but at the same time, I earned my way into the fraternity unlike people given memeberships. I laughed, cried, and the such during pledge season, [
Not to downplay your experience in any way, as I hope to go through it myself one day - I am not sure but, I figure that the honorary members sort of "miss out" in a way cause they don't get that whole experience. Yeah, they might get to claim the org and it's all good, but it's their loss and the orgs gain (i am sure many of you will disagree with that). I am having a hard time putting what I mean into words here. Sorry. I hope you guys get what I am saying.

Old 07-11-2000, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I think that some of you are missing the point when it comes to honorary membership. Honorary membership does not mean, oh, I am a member of ABC sorority or fraternity. Well, for me, as a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, it is an HONOR bestowed upon someone for TRANSCENDING, BLAZING TRAILS, REMOVING BARRIERS,etc. in our society. You do not have to agree with it at all. I don't feel slighted just because someone received honorary membership. In fact, honorary members do not have all of the privileges of someone who were initiated formally. I worked hard for my letters, just as my Honorary Sorors worked to blaze trails, transcend in their respective fields and knock down barriers in our society, therefore, they are HONORED in our sorority for doing their "Service to ALL Mankind."

In all aspects of our society, we pay homage to individuals for their work, if it's music,television, corporate America, the private sector,or education... (honorary degrees are presented)I recieved my BA and MPA and someone was presented with an honorary degree, did I huff and puff? HECK NO! I was honored...It's just a special recognition!

P.S. Honorary members don't always have to be "famous" to the masses ...please do some research!

[This message has been edited by AKA2D '91 (edited July 11, 2000).]
Old 07-11-2000, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

To each their own, I guess.

Thats what I love, a good debate... here is the concept of honorary membership... should it not be used... or does it bring to light people in our society that should be honored.... Some people are not offended by it and think it is a good system... others are neutral... whilst still others abhor the idea.

Each person has good points that should be considered by everyone... this is a topic where there is no "right answer."

Old 07-11-2000, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91:
Honorary membership does not mean, oh, I am a member of ABC sorority or fraternity. . . I don't feel slighted just because someone received honorary membership. In fact, honorary members do not have all of the privileges of someone who were initiated
That's the word I was looking for. They don't have the same privileges as someone who was initiated. They might be able to claim the sorority, but they certainly don't have sands or line sisters/brothers. They don't have the unique bond formed by women who learned the secrets and traditions at their respective chapters.

I was wondering, since they are honorary members and not intitated members, do they get access to the "secrets" of the GLO? Are they given the etiquette/condut/protocol (sp?) books? Just wondering. If you can answer this, please do. If you can't, please don't waste a post telling us that you can't.
Thanks.
Old 07-11-2000, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I just want to know do the honorary members remain active as they can be? Do they contibute money as well as time to their sororities and fraternities? I do not think it is a bad thing to honor someone with membership. I was just wondering about their dedication to the sorority or fraternity. While we are on this subject. I have been wondering about the famous people who did go through the pledge process. Such as Mike, Shaq, etc. Do they still have alot to do with their orgs. I mean I know shaq is known to throw up his que signs. But is he known to still support his brothers and org. That is the most important thing. Whether you "pledged", came in undegrad, grad, or whether you were honored with membership, the most important thing is whether or not you are still dedicated to your community and sorority or fraterntiy.
Old 07-12-2000, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

The hard work that you did to "earn your letters" are their own reward, and if you rely on other peoples' experinces to validate your own, you missed the point of the intake process.

I don't have any problem with honorary memberships. I would treat them just as I would any other soror. They, however do miss out on some aspects of the sorority as a result of the way they were inititated. For example, there were several of my sorors who were disappointed when Camile Cosby was made an honorary member because, as they put it, "any chapter would have taken her, and she would have made a very good national officer". By choosing to become an Honorary member, that option is no longer open to her. I on the other hand went through a chapter and am now enjoying the pleasures of running for a national office.

------------------
If you can't raise conciousness, at least raise hell!--Rita Mae Brown