GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,327
1 members and 2,326 guests
No Members online

Old 02-23-2021, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
I agree entirely. They didn't come at this from a cooperative place, they forced these changes onto IFC and Panhel. The fact that the AGL group consider these changes "very modest" shows how little knowledge they have about these orgs and that they never engaged IFC and Panhel in conversations to come to compromised solutions that could have been beneficial for everyone.
And if the goal was to make the fraternities more inclusive, a) why is the group called Abolish Duke IFC & Panhel, and b) why wouldn't they try and work with these organizations to help them accomplish that goal?

This guy - and the group in general - is calling bs on the fraternities, but I'm calling bs on them. The fraternities essentially outwitted them and now they're mad about it.

This seems like the equivalent of a We Hate Drums group destroying all the drums of the Drummers For Life group, and when the Drummers For Life group gathers up a bunch of household items like buckets and pans and they continue to play, the members of the We Hate Drums group stomp their feet and say, "Well we just wanted them to play better music, and now they sound worse than before."

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-23-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-05-2021, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...y-disaffiliate

Wait, so... am I reading this correctly?

Shreyas Gupta, founding member of Abolish Duke IFC & Panhel, wanted to abolish Greek Life by pushing for anti-fraternity policies disguised as being what's best for all of Duke, then when the fraternities found a way around it, he became frustrated with that, claiming they don't want to push for diversity and inclusivity, and the very nature of now being "underground" - due to these revised policies - will make them less inclusive?

Uh... you reap what you sow?
I wrote an article about Abolish Greek Life on my site.

In it, I suggested that the results would not be the abolition of Greek Life, just the severing of ties with universities. It was such a poorly thought out "movement." I can't believe any universities caved to those demands. . .

Actually, it's not hard to believe. Attend one AFA meeting and you'll see that the biggest AGL advocates are often the people paid by IFCs & PHCs to "advise" them.
Instagram
FraternityMan.com
Old 03-09-2021, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Four remaining Duke IFC fraternities cite Duke resources, hope of positive change as reasons for staying

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...disaffiliation

@~/~~~~
Old 03-10-2021, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Does anyone know if any of the abolition group are members of fraternities or sororities? Regardless, I think it's a shame that all their energy is focused on something destructive, when they could be spending their time constructively, ie, building houses for habitat for humanity, delivering meals on wheels to the elderly, helping out at a local soup kitchen or food bank, etc. But then, the purpose of the group is not to be a positive force.

quote-FraternityNik-"Actually, it's not hard to believe. Attend one AFA meeting and you'll see that the biggest AGL advocates are often the people paid by IFCs & PHCs to "advise" them." I have noticed that too. Do these administrators realize they are working to end their own jobs?

Last edited by FSUZeta; 03-11-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Duke threatens a campus lockdown after spike in COVID cases tied to fraternity parties

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...249842668.html

Quote:
Since Friday, the university reported more than 100 cases among students, most of whom have a “known Greek affiliation and/or are first-year male students in the Class of 2024.” Duke also saw its highest daily case count within its student population since the pandemic began Tuesday, with 32 undergraduate students testing positive.

The recent cases are connected to the off-campus rush activities and parties hosted by individuals connected to Durham Interfraternity Council, according to Duke. That group included Greek organizations that recently severed their affiliations with Duke and started spring rush last month, The Duke Chronicle reported.
Shocker.

@~/~~~~