GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,303
1 members and 1,302 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Kappa Gamma breaks ground on $7 million project at U of Arkansas

The University of Arkansas Gamma Nu Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority will break ground on Saturday, May 5, to mark the beginning of a $7 million property renovation. Members, alumnae and supporters have raised almost $3 million in donations to fund the effort.

To see the architect's rendering and floor plans, or to learn more about the project, go to www.gammanurenovation.com or visit our Facebook page: Gamma Nu Renovation - Our Legacy, Our Future.

This is such an exciting time for Kappa at Arkansas!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Whoa, that's gorgeous! Did y'all have to buy any more lots?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Unbelievable. Can't really fathom living in a house that large with that many women.

I went to the chapter website and they look like a nice bunch of girls.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

That is a monster of a house! Is it in line with the other chapters on campus? And it says it's a renovation. What part of it is currently existing?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, cool! I saw people I knew in the retro slide show!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

The renovation is actually a massive overhaul that will involve tearing off the back half of the house, gutting the front half (the front will look exactly the same, only enhanced with updated detailing). We are adding about 10,000 sq feet. The current house is somewhat L-shaped and will now be a square.

Yes, all houses on our campus are comparable. We all sleep in the 80's to 90's. The KKG house will sleep 92 but will have much improved additional common spaces for the entire chapter to gather, study, meet. THE CHAPTER ROOM HOLDS 350!!! YAY! The goal was to redesign our house to better accommodate the entire chapter, sleep a reasonable number of girls but still provide dining space, study spaces, gathering spaces that meet the needs of the whole membership.

The current house was built to sleep and accommodate a total chapter size of 75. We have crammed girls into every nook and cranny, remodeled basement space, taken over old phone booths and out of season closets, to make room for 94. The girls have been holding chapter in an auditorium in the business building for three years!

Now, everyone - whether they live in house or out - can be comfortable in the new house. We are the first on campus to undergo such a project, but will not be the last. All houses are feeling cramped.

And, we own the house and the land, so did not partner with UA on any of this.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe the others are crossing their fingers that the upcoming expansions will ease the burden without a multi-million dollar facelift! It does look like a spectacular facility and I like all the little study rooms on all floors of the house.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Maybe the others are crossing their fingers that the upcoming expansions will ease the burden without a multi-million dollar facelift! It does look like a spectacular facility and I like all the little study rooms on all floors of the house.
The truth is, that even 5 years ago when pledge classes were in the 90's, we were still having a tough time in the dining room, etc. And, a sorority house gets the wear and tear of a hotel - so it was definitely time to do a major overhaul, either way! The renovation will better utilize the space we have to work with and will improve the functionality of the building.

But, based on the overwhelming support for this project by our alumni, I think the other houses will be able to do it, too. That strong SEC Greek tradition really played a key role in gaining the financial support for this project!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

How fabulous!! Congratulations! Can't wait to see the finished project.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Holy COW!

Jealous of the chapter room. We rent a space on campus; we can't fit in our current room. There was a lot of grumbling, push back, and resistance but the majority of the members are happy that we've made the move now that it's done.

Smart Kappa to have bought that lot when it was available so that this expansion could happen.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 05-04-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

That house is amazing!! How long is the project expected to take?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Gorgeous! Wish I could figure out a way to see it when it's finished.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
We are the first on campus to undergo such a project, but will not be the last. All houses are feeling cramped.

And, we own the house and the land, so did not partner with UA on any of this.
Most impressive, Kappas.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Gorgeous! Wish I could figure out a way to see it when it's finished.
Exactly what I just thought.....
Old 05-05-2012, 02:52 PM

Wow.

Isn't everyone at UArk renovating (or planning to) to keep up with the growth? I have heard that the chapters are so big that they are outgrowing their chapter rooms (that weren't built for 300 people.)

Lakers Nation.