GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,040
1 members and 1,039 guests
No Members online

Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
My apologies. I didn't know.
No problem! It is certainly rare. I am not a fan of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
But that does raise another issue/question. Does a University have the right to overrule I/natl(s) policies?
On this policy, yes. UTC requires that a woman earn a 2.5 in order to become an initiated member, so they have to do a full semester program. I wish they would just go to a deferred recruitment if they are going to hold to that requirement. Then the university could prohibit women with low GPAs from participating and chapters could initiate within their inter/national guidelines.

Quota was 51.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-24-2008, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utcutie315 View Post
I'm more than positive that my age was the reason I did not recieve invites back. I have moved on and I'm not upset anymore. Why? Because I know I had no control over their decision. Thank you for your advice. From what I hear, Bid Day was a success and I couldn't be any happier for the girls. My turn will come. Until then I will support my friends and my boyfriend's fraternity and do my part in the greek life. There are plenty of things I can do to be a part of greek life with out actually being in a greek organization. Thanks again!!!
That is a really great attitude, your maturity shines through in your post! Like we talked about the other day, you will find lots of other activities on campus and they will be lucky to have you!! Enjoy college!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I’m actually thinking about starting another organization on campus. There were a lot of highly qualified girls turned down due to numbers and to me that means that it may be time for another organization. UTC’s numbers have been up for the past few years and we are out numbering the options we have. I’m not doing it just because I didn’t get it and I’m upset, I’ve already discussed it with someone else and they agree that it might be a good idea. If quotas were only around 50, that means that only 200 girls got bids, that left 200 girls without. I’m not saying that all 200 were qualified to be in a Greek organization, however there are at least another 50 that were. That’s another organization. I just think it is time for another organization. It would help out a lot. I’m sure there were a lot of girls very disappointed and crushed they didn’t receive bids. And some probably didn’t care, but I want to make a difference and maybe this is where I can help. I’m open to any criticism but please not about how I wrote or talk or think. Just about the subject at hand. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
I’m actually thinking about starting another organization on campus. There were a lot of highly qualified girls turned down due to numbers and to me that means that it may be time for another organization. UTC’s numbers have been up for the past few years and we are out numbering the options we have. I’m not doing it just because I didn’t get it and I’m upset, I’ve already discussed it with someone else and they agree that it might be a good idea. If quotas were only around 50, that means that only 200 girls got bids, that left 200 girls without. I’m not saying that all 200 were qualified to be in a Greek organization, however there are at least another 50 that were. That’s another organization. I just think it is time for another organization. It would help out a lot. I’m sure there were a lot of girls very disappointed and crushed they didn’t receive bids. And some probably didn’t care, but I want to make a difference and maybe this is where I can help. I’m open to any criticism but please not about how I wrote or talk or think. Just about the subject at hand. Thanks.
Yeah, ok. Good luck with that.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Worth reading:

Before you found a new sorority
Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I’m actually thinking about starting another organization on campus. There were a lot of highly qualified girls turned down due to numbers and to me that means that it may be time for another organization. UTC’s numbers have been up for the past few years and we are out numbering the options we have. I’m not doing it just because I didn’t get it and I’m upset, I’ve already discussed it with someone else and they agree that it might be a good idea. If quotas were only around 50, that means that only 200 girls got bids, that left 200 girls without.
If quota was only 50, that means that only 200 women made it to the end of rush without being cut or dropping out. Quota is set depending on the number of women finishing rush - it isn't an arbitrary number the Greek life office or Panhel sets. "Hey, I think we should give out 200 bids this semester!" That's NOT how it happens.

If all 400 women would have finished rush, then quota would have been 100 and each group would have taken 100.

Even if your campus was open for expansion, starting a colony of an NPC group is a long process and it's entirely possible you would graduate before it came to fruition. Try looking at some of the other groups on campus instead of starting a new sorority.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, according to your original post, your current GPA could probably use some more attention. It might also be more difficult for you to start from scratch as your age/class status progresses, it is generally assumed that you will get more involved in the real world (engagement, marriage, grad school, job hunts, etc.) and might not have the time to devote to a brand new organization. I personally would look to get involved more in other, already established, campus activities. Don't get me wrong, I love my NPC and wouldn't trade my Greek experience for anything but Greek life is not the end all goal of college. Please look beyond the letters to other organizations.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Even if your campus was open for expansion, starting a colony of an NPC group is a long process and it's entirely possible you would graduate before it came to fruition. Try looking at some of the other groups on campus instead of starting a new sorority.
YES.

OP - If you are speaking of trying to start a new NPC organization, that decision is left up to Panhellenic and the existing four sororities - in consultation with their inter/national organizations and the campus administration. There has been some discussion, but it has all be VERY informal. The campus will not open up for extension in the very near future.

And even if they do open up say this fall and pick a new NPC group in spring, they probably wouldn't colonize until Fall 09. (That is if they were to bring it up in Panhellenic this week and move quickly.) And at that point it is up to the colonizing sorority to interview and pick its new members. They don't have a "sign up" sheet. So there would still be no guarantee of membership - even if there is a group of interested women.

Now, if you are thinking of just starting up a new general student organization that isn't tied to any inter/national group, have at it. It will still be a tough road to gather interest and do everything you need to do to qualify as a registered student group. Check with the Student Activities Office to get a list of groups that have already been formed and are looking for new members. There might already be a group of people out there who share a lot of the same values and interests that you have.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2008, 03:34 PM

It's important to note that that other 200 girls whom you say did not receive bids also includes girls who withdrew from recruitment on their own. Those aren't girls who stuck it out through the last round and just didn't get bids.

The number of girls each sorority will take is not something that the sororities make up on their own. Quota is set by the number of women who attend at least one preference party, in order to maximize the number of women who get placed in a sorority. So the 200 who DID get bids are generally the women who are still left in recruitment at the end.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your statement that 200 girls just didn't get bids is off, because Panhellenic sets quota in order to match as many of the remaining women as they can. They aren't just going to NOT include another 200 women in their quota calculation, if they attend at least one round of pref.. That's not how recruitment works.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
There was only 367 girls sign up for recruitment this year. And after the first night they new of at least 70 that quit/didn't show up at all. Thats not counting the ones that were dropped.
So, looking at your numbers, it's not really 200 who didn't receive bids, eh?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

If you want to take on a HUGE amount of work...

you can go through the process of trying to get a 5th sorority on campus. A new chapter wouldn't be nearly as concerned about age (although the continuing grades thread would still apply) because they need a full house of all years so they don't graduate all their new members at once.

If there are 4 chapters there and you got cut from three immediately and 1 after that, it may be time for expansion on campus. You'll know this pretty quick if none are doing continuous open bidding (informal rush). If some are, and they still aren't interested, then there's a problem you're not telling us about.

The age thing could scare some of the women off, but getting to know you and your situation should help that. They don't want to pledge a junior or senior, but if in reality you're a sophomore, that's a different thing.

And if there's a "best" and "worst" house on campus, you'll want to focus your efforts on the "worst." That is not to say that chapter wouldn't be a great and very fulfilling experience. It mostly will just mean they don't have the numbers and will be looking to add some quality enthusiastic women.

Best of luck to you. I've been an Alpha Xi Delta for 24 years now and am the president of my local alumnae association. I helped "colonize" a new chapter several years ago and although it's a really different kind of sorority experience, it may be just that much more fulfilling.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslietfj View Post
you can go through the process of trying to get a 5th sorority on campus. A new chapter wouldn't be nearly as concerned about age (although the continuing grades thread would still apply) because they need a full house of all years so they don't graduate all their new members at once.

If there are 4 chapters there and you got cut from three immediately and 1 after that, it may be time for expansion on campus. You'll know this pretty quick if none are doing continuous open bidding (informal rush). If some are, and they still aren't interested, then there's a problem you're not telling us about.

The age thing could scare some of the women off, but getting to know you and your situation should help that. They don't want to pledge a junior or senior, but if in reality you're a sophomore, that's a different thing.

And if there's a "best" and "worst" house on campus, you'll want to focus your efforts on the "worst." That is not to say that chapter wouldn't be a great and very fulfilling experience. It mostly will just mean they don't have the numbers and will be looking to add some quality enthusiastic women.

Best of luck to you. I've been an Alpha Xi Delta for 24 years now and am the president of my local alumnae association. I helped "colonize" a new chapter several years ago and although it's a really different kind of sorority experience, it may be just that much more fulfilling.
Just....wow.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Leslie, that was a tad bit inappropriate.
Ok, not a tad bit. It was.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:

Well alrighty then...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, where to start?

Quote:
you can go through the process of trying to get a 5th sorority on campus.
Um, really? On her own? Not really. There is a specific process that is completely out of her hands at this point.

Quote:
You'll know this pretty quick if none are doing continuous open bidding (informal rush). If some are, and they still aren't interested, then there's a problem you're not telling us about.
Actually, I think she has told us plenty that could raise concerns, not the least of which is that GPA.

Quote:
And if there's a "best" and "worst" house on campus, you'll want to focus your efforts on the "worst."
I don't even know what to say here.

Quote:
I've been an Alpha Xi Delta for 24 years now and am the president of my local alumnae association.
I am sure that they are proud.