GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,360
0 members and 1,360 guests
No Members online

Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone have any tips on how to save money on a flower budget?

We're doing in-season flowers (easy since it's June) and we're trying to go with cheaper blooms but I'm having a terrible time trying to keep the budget down while having everything look nice.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I went to 3 different florists to get ideas of pricing and see what they could offer at certain prices. In the end I went with the florist who right off the bat seemed like she was very understanding of just how expensive weddings are. She seemed like she really wanted to work to give us something beautiful but practical, price wise. The great thing about her is she has worked at our reception hall before and loves the space so she had lots of great ideas of how to make use of that space at an affordable place. For example, it's a very new hotel with a modern, artsy feel to it, so she recommended something like this:
Still beautiful, but not overwhelming with flowers that's gonna break the bank. Then to save even more, she recommended doing these centerpieces on every other table and then on the other tables we can do a low, understated centerpiece. In the end, she was able to come in about $600-700 cheaper than the other quotes we got.

So really, my best advice is to shop around, talk to different florists and see what creative solutions they can offer you to give you the most bang for your buck.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
Does anyone have any tips on how to save money on a flower budget?

We're doing in-season flowers (easy since it's June) and we're trying to go with cheaper blooms but I'm having a terrible time trying to keep the budget down while having everything look nice.
If you have the time and energy to DIY, depending on where you live, you could go to a floral wholesaler, pick your own, go to a local college with a horticulture program and have someone arrange them for you or do the arranging yourself.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
If you have the time and energy to DIY, depending on where you live, you could go to a floral wholesaler, pick your own, go to a local college with a horticulture program and have someone arrange them for you or do the arranging yourself.
This is true. My only caution with DIYing is to either keep it simple or know what you're doing. Ex: If you see some amazing Karen Tran aisle arrangement, don't be like "I can TOTALLY do that!" If it's just something simple, maybe.

Be honest with yourself about your abilities and your time frame (this is for ANY wedding DIY project.) I say timeframe because if you are (for example) in med school and doing 10 other things, you may not have the time you THINK you have to DIY 20 things. Know when you need to call in a pro or ask for help.

Or your centerpieces and other things have the potential to look like a wedding from Regretsy.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the help everyone!

lovespink, we're meeting with a florist in one of the tiny suburbs around Milwaukee who looks promising so I'm hoping she can help us out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Be honest with yourself about your abilities and your time frame (this is for ANY wedding DIY project.) I say timeframe because if you are (for example) in med school and doing 10 other things, you may not have the time you THINK you have to DIY 20 things. Know when you need to call in a pro or ask for help.

Or your centerpieces and other things have the potential to look like a wedding from Regretsy.
This is total true. What I think we may end up doing are ONLY centerpieces (like this) and three boutonnieres for the Ushers.
http://blameitonthetoes.blogspot.com...hydrangea.html

Has anyone used online floral ordering? We found a combo of two packages that is perfect. One of them is the following:

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/admin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]http://www.bridesign.com/Wedding-Flo...-Romantic-Rose

The reviews on theKnot were pretty good overall, but some people have horror stores about the flower order being canceled four days before the wedding.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
This is true. My only caution with DIYing is to either keep it simple or know what you're doing. Ex: If you see some amazing Karen Tran aisle arrangement, don't be like "I can TOTALLY do that!" If it's just something simple, maybe.

*AGREE*
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

My plan was to work during my lunch break... then I got sidetracked ... and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to sit and stare at the screen imagining what I would loook like walking down the aisle with this.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 PM

Love dahlias.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 PM

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
Thanks for the help everyone!

lovespink, we're meeting with a florist in one of the tiny suburbs around Milwaukee who looks promising so I'm hoping she can help us out.

This is total true. What I think we may end up doing are ONLY centerpieces (like this) and three boutonnieres for the Ushers.
http://blameitonthetoes.blogspot.com...hydrangea.html

Has anyone used online floral ordering? We found a combo of two packages that is perfect. One of them is the following:

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/admin/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]http://www.bridesign.com/Wedding-Flo...-Romantic-Rose

The reviews on the Knot flower order being canceled four days before the wedding.
My highly rated, interviewed and vetted florist had a death in the family 4 days prior to our wedding, and no one to cover for her. So, six in the one hand, half dozen in the other.

I have been writing a little treatise on weddings, and will be posting it soon!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
My highly rated, interviewed and vetted florist had a death in the family 4 days prior to our wedding, and no one to cover for her. So, six in the one hand, half dozen in the other.

I have been writing a little treatise on weddings, and will be posting it soon!
Ugh. That's awful. So sorry!

I actually managed to find a florist we both absolutely love who can work in our price range. She is a genius with repurposing ceremony flowers and is able to do our wedding for about the same price I had worked out with online ordering! We came across the company at a bridal show and she is just fabulous. I'm really happy.

LET'S GO BIG RED!